Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Ride in peace, Ray

Tenerider

Dear friends,

our member @Ray Ride4life has passed away today.

As some of you might know, he got a terminal cancer diagnosis some months ago, which forced him to quit riding.

@qInvention had contacted him some days ago, and Ray had told him that he had decided to accept euthanasia (which is legal in the Netherlands).

His surviving dependants have just replied to me and confirmed his passing away.

Ray was one of the most proficient and active members here, and truly lived the spirit. I'm glad that I had met him in person last year, riding some TET with him was just great. His plans for this year included a trip to Portugal and participation in the Bosnia Rally, and his big dream was emigrating to South Africa. We had planned to ride another piece of TET together in the end of April, but due to his health we decided to postpone our trip. But rapidly, it became clear that he wouldn't be able to ride anymore.

My last contact with him was 4 weeks ago, and I have wanted to msg him since then but couldn't really force myself to do so - I was quite busy, and also afraid of even worse news and deeply regret I didn't have the heart to call him.

Ray, I will not forget you.

20221030_113908.jpg.e942f3fa41f605cba1d29659100e8605.jpg

Ray (on the left) and me on TET NL, somewhere south of Maastricht.

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 2
  • Sad 9

P.S.: @AZJW , I've posted it in General since it'll show up in the recent T7 topics section. Hope it's ok, otherwise please move it to OT section. Thanks.

• Like 2

@Tenerider Sad to hear. Death awaits us all but too soon for some.

Euthanasia, is an act of kindness for a rider in a situation like this.

The Netherlands... someday I may take my last ride there!

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• Premium Member

Sorry to learn the sad news. What can we say… Thoughts to Ray’s family and friends. 

• Moderators

So sad. Ray was a prolific, but eleoquent poster here on the forum.  He will be missed and condolences for his family and those who knew him personally. 

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I express my sincere condolences to Ray's family. 

Farewell Ray.

• Like 1

Very sad news. Ride in peace.

My condolensences to his family.

Today i'm gonna make a ride to remember him, and other lost biker friends.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, BikeBrother said:

Very sad news. Ride in peace.

My condolensences to his family.

Today i'm gonna make a ride to remember him, and other lost biker friends.

The best way to remember our past riders. Thanks mate.

That's sad news. 

Rest easy, Ray, and ride the endless trails in the hereafter.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Ray will certainly be missed!  I enjoyed the thoughts and advice he shared here. 

My condolences to his family and friends. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Thanks to Ray, we have a great collection of photos of members using their T7's for its intended purpose.  His "Drop your random ride pics" thread, started on Jan. 1, 2022 holds the highest view count, currently at over 42K.  Thanks Ray and your memory will live on here.

• Like 6

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Oh my gosh, I'm really shocked. What sad and unexpected news.  RIP Ray, and my condolences to his family and friends.

• Like 1

Sad news. RIP Ray. I enjoyed and appreciated his comments and insights. His memory will be blessing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Moderators

I am truly sorry to read this news. I really enjoyed reading all his posts through the years. Man he will be missed.

• Like 1

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

4 hours ago, tenerecanada said:

I am truly sorry to read this news. I really enjoyed reading all his posts through the years. Man he will be missed.

Amen.

• Like 2

There is a lot we ALL will miss not having Ray here posting. Condolences to his family.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I see his blog has been removed.

anyone know if possible to keep it alive or even integrate it into this site?

i found it a great source of information and a great read. be sad to see his travel story disappear into the net.

ride4life.nl

• Sad 1

Oh this is sad. His YT channel also got deleted recently.

P.S.: Just contacted his surviving dependants on it.

And it appeara that wayvack machine has several snapshots of his site:

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 2
35 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Oh this is sad. His YT channel also got deleted recently.

P.S.: Just contacted his surviving dependants on it.

And it appeara that wayvack machine has several snapshots of his site:

didnt see the YT channel go. suppose easier on family not to be reminded of it if there was emails coming in with video "likes" and or questions from the sites.