Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Engine shut off after fast acceleration

Boyca

Hi guys,

Was doing a little nightride and on the way home I accelerated pretty hard on a straight. Nothing crazy but I went high into the top revs in  second and third gear. I didn't go into the rev limiter. A couple seconds after I started to decelerate  the engine just turned off and the oil light turned on red. I coasted onto the sidewalk, turned the key off and on and the bike started just fine and no oil check light. No leaks, levels are fine. What the hell could've happened? I didn't stall it and the bike didn't jerk whatsoever, no clank or anything.

Have you done anything to the motorcycle.... exhaust or air box, that might make it run lean?

Have you had the ecu reprogrammed?

Can you get the problem to repete?

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

There have been reports of not starting if the key was not fully in the "on" detent position.

Maybe your was close enough to start, but somehow popped out of position.... just a thought.

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

@N11 EXPRESSI will check these later today, thanks for the input.
@HibobbNothing, mechanically the bike is running completely stock.
@Goody Boy No because I turned the bike back on after the key reset just fine without having to flip back my killswitch. Unless I feathered it, had it turn off and had the switch click back on it's own.. But that sounds very unlikely.