Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Steering wheel bearing service interval?

Oxxa

Question

6 answers to this question

I believe the service manual says at the 20k mark, or it says 2 years.  One or the other. 

Need to do mine as my bike is at 24k and 2 years this month.  

Service interval from the  manual I use as a guide. I change seals more often than bearings, and I don't change good bearings - I've seen peeps screw up the extraction and install, or install cheap bearings that soon fail.

Just stick your finger in the bearings and feel for roughness EVERY time you change tyres, chain / sprockets or have a wheel off. Also check the dust seals. 

Bearing life depends on a lot of factors - chain tension too tight and bearings will wear faster. Lots of wet / dusty / submerged / mud riding will wear seals faster - if water gets fast the seal bearings will rust. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oxxa said:

I use my bike 50/50 on road off road.

currently at 34,000km or 21k miles.

You are racking up the miles... didn't you buy it like yesterday? LOL

• Moderators

@Oxxa

SM calls for 12,000 miles.  Pgs 3-2. 3-19 & 3-20.

https://www.tenere700.net/topic/664-service-manual/#comment-8895

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 7/24/2023 at 11:50 PM, roygilbo said:

You are racking up the miles... didn't you buy it like yesterday? LOL

I bought it last year (2022) on 1 April. I have done a lot of riding :))

Are you asking about wheel bearings or steering head bearings?  

I service (inspect) wheel bearings whenever I'm changing a tire and pack the area surrounding the bearing with grease to help ward off water that gets past the seals.

For the Steering head I generally check the steering head bearings on any bike within the first 5k miles just to make sure they are greased and adjusted properly.  Might not look at them again for 20k+ miles unless something draws my attention to them sooner.

And as mentioned above by another poster - I don't replace perfectly good bearings.