Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

17 tooth?

Gmandad1

All - Will a 17 tooth front sprocket fit on a t700? I want to really decrease my RPM on the slab...will a 17 work or do I need to do a 16 and then decrease the rear? Hoping to accomplish this with a single sprocket change. Thanks!  gman

I don't think it will fit. Can you even find a sprocket to fit the shaft?

A 17/46  = 2.706 overall ratio (11.8% taller than the oem 15/46 = 3.067)...the MT-o7 uses 16/43 = 2.688 overall ratio, but is much lighter ...not sure that a 17 tooth would have enough clearance & it may impact tire clearance via the shortened wheelbase & appropriate chain slack without adding another link.  I have been running a 16/46 combo = 2.875 ratio (6.3% taller than the oem 15/46 = 3.067) for 2 years & really like it & would not want any taller gearing on the hwy as it would reduce roll on power. 1 tooth at the front = 3 rear teeth at back so would recommend no larger than 16 front & try it with the oem 46 & if you feel you still want taller experiment by up to 2 teeth at the back with 16/44 = 2.750 or 10.4% taller than oem

Edited by prowlnS10
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Redneckj said:

This should bring the RPM's down.

image.png.7cd96b73cf6195046f7511800d12bcf5.png

This is extreme... 😂

Guess the bike would stall all the time, but yes, then the rpms are down to zero 😉

I have a 16T and i wouldnt want to go any larger, i think the difference of i had between 15 and 16T was quite noticeable, however it's as much compromise as i would be willing to take in terms of grunt spread. 17T - if it fits, would tame the bike too much. 

• Like 2

On 7/24/2023 at 9:45 PM, Gmandad1 said:

All - Will a 17 tooth front sprocket fit on a t700? I want to really decrease my RPM on the slab...will a 17 work or do I need to do a 16 and then decrease the rear? Hoping to accomplish this with a single sprocket change. Thanks!  gman

There are guys with MT07's running 17 tooth with no issue.

Our engine is the same so you should have no major issues.

You may need to trim the chain guide around the front sprocket slightly to get some clearance, but other than that you should be fine.

When I went to 16 tooth I clearanced the guide slightly because it was closer than I liked.  With a 17 you probably need to grind a couple of mm off,  which will take less than 5 minutes.

Edited by williestreet
  • Thanks 1

OK, thanks everybody. I do a bit of off-roading, but also spend a lot of time at 70 - 80mph, which this bike is surprisingly good at (I think this is my 15th motorcycle so I have some frame of reference). The 17 tooth would alter the final drive ratio about 13% which sounds great to me, but I will go with the advice of those who have gone before me and just move up to a 16 tooth (about 5% change) and see how that goes. If I still want lower RPM's at cruising, I will also switch the rear sprocket eventually.

Thanks, gman

image.jpeg.7dd6156a188a19579645c7980ca8daec.jpeg

• Like 2

I found the 16 better for motorway riding but I feel a 17 would be not great at interim speeds (for me) 

• Like 1

Everyone's dream bike is different...

Changing sprockets is simple and cheap. Give it a try and report back.

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

OK, while we're on the topic...  The bike only has 2500 miles, so I don't want to get a new chain and rear sprocket also. OK to just replace the front sprocket? Brand recommendation for replacement 16 tooth front sprocket?  Appreciated. Thanks, gman

9 minutes ago, Gmandad1 said:

OK, while we're on the topic...  The bike only has 2500 miles, so I don't want to get a new chain and rear sprocket also. OK to just replace the front sprocket? Brand recommendation for replacement 16 tooth front sprocket?  Appreciated. Thanks, gman

Should be fine with only 2500 mi.

These JT sprockets seem to work fine:

Rubber cushioning, just like the OEM sprocket. Any MT-07/Tracer 7/XSR-700 sprocket will fit also.

16 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Should be fine with only 2500 mi.

These JT sprockets seem to work fine:

Rubber cushioning, just like the OEM sprocket. Any MT-07/Tracer 7/XSR-700 sprocket will fit also.

Awesome, thanks! I did not look at an OEM option but I'm might just for comparison. Thanks, gman

• Like 1