Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Which bike to take on tour

IAbeem

I'm off work this week and want to take an impromptu trip west. It's about 850 miles west to pikes peak which is about my 1 day max. Might continue to Utah the next day then come back so a 4 or 5 day trip. I'm trying to decide on taking the t7 or the mt-10.

I did march moto madness on the T7 and rode 800 miles home on the last day. Have just under 4k miles on it in 4 months so no stranger and know it would handle the trip well, albeit the comparatively low highway speeds.

On the other hand I bought an MT-10 3 weeks ago and put 2,400 miles on it already! The miles come twice as quick on the MT. I'm having a blast on it and thinking of taking it west. I've done similar trips on the fz-1 that I'm parting with, 61k miles.

Most of the trip will be boring Nebraska highway so the MT sounds more fun but once west I'm sure there will be places to play on the T7. Of course being alone and on a short trip, that will be minimal in comparison to the highway. The t7 has Motoz Tractionator/ dual venture which was fine on my 800 mile trip home but not ideal for highway days. All that to ask which bike would you take?

Just rode an MT-10 for a day - for me, it would clearly be the T because of it's better ergonomy for my size. Love the MT-10! And yes, it eats miles much quicker somehow. The T7 favours relaxed riding.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'm in Colorado right now 4 wheeling instead of 2, but remember the great miles spent on my FJR on the Million Dollar Hwy (550).  On the other hand,  I'm seeing lots of ADV bikes out and about here, so there's that. Here on a T7 forum we kinda already know what the majority of the answers will be, but my .02, if you're going to be doing mostly pavement?  MT-10 for the win! 

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Man if you are going that close to Utah, take the T7 and go ride some Moab. I was there on my 300 and had a blast but there are so many options for a big ADV bike there! Go cruise around south of Poncha Springs. Lots of good back roads and jeep roads you can ride up to the divide on the CDT.

• Like 1