Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rear caliper came loose. How could this have h

Kiwi

Question

I took my bike in for its 10,000km service. I have ridden 500km since then. Today while backing out of the bike shed I noticed no rear brake function, I got off the bike to look and discovered this.Caliper has rotated 180 degrees.

Brakeline stretched

ABS wire severed

Bango fitting weaping

How on earth could it have come loose? Would the workshop have pulled the rear wheel for the service?

20230730_201349.jpg

• Confused 2

I’m  fairly sure I’ve read some on here say it’s ok if it’s not perfectly flat against the spacer. 

At this point you may or may not get a straight answer on this.

at this stage I’d be mostly concerned about ensuring the rear axle is inspected and assembled correctly and fix and the same for the caliper components.

11 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

I took my bike in for its 10,000km service. I have ridden 500km since then. Today while backing out of the bike shed I noticed no rear brake function, I got off the bike to look and discovered this.Caliper has rotated 180 degrees.

Brakeline stretched

ABS wire severed

Bango fitting weaping

How on earth could it have come loose? Would the workshop have pulled the rear wheel for the service?

20230730_201349.jpg

I guess they have pulled it for service. But even if not, this MUSTN'T happen after the bike has gone through service and a proper check of all critical components.

If the caliper has been properly installed onto the swingarm, this can not happen imho. The groove on the caliper sits on some kind of ridge on the swingarm, preventing any undesired movement.

This is absolutely horrible. Visit your service center again and ask them to explain how this could have happened.

And if they don't admit it was their mistake (and fire the guy who "serviced" your bike), I'd never ever even let them touch my bike again.

• Like 2

That could have ended badly.

Not sure if possible, but if the hanger wasn’t in the groove and they haven’t fitted a spacer could they have tightened the whole lot up. Not sure but think you need to pull the wheel to see if everything is there.

But probably best to speak to workshop first before anything is touched.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

I guess they have pulled it for service. But even if not, this MUSTN'T happen after the bike has gone through service and a proper check of all critical components.

If the caliper has been properly installed onto the swingarm, this can not happen imho. The groove on the caliper sits on some kind of ridge on the swingarm, preventing any undesired movement.

This is absolutely horrible. Visit your service center again and ask them to explain how this could have happened.

And if they don't admit it was their mistake (and fire the guy who "serviced" your bike), I'd never ever even let them touch my bike again.

I sent them an email asking if they had pulled the rear wheel as part of the service,as well as asking them how this could have happened.

As you say,the caliper slides onto a rail.If they took the wheel off or the caliper somehow came loose ,how could they not spot it or why has it just happened now?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Alan M said:

That could have ended badly.

Not sure if possible, but if the hanger wasn’t in the groove and they haven’t fitted a spacer could they have tightened the whole lot up. Not sure but think you need to pull the wheel to see if everything is there.

But probably best to speak to workshop first before anything is touched.

Yeah its weird,the flat of the axel is not flat against the adjuster plate either.I know they tightened the chain at the service,so they avoided that little detail too.

I am fuming over this,the dealership are really subpar.

Wow, that is a serious mechanical bozo. Luckily, the calliper was on TOP of the key not below it, or the thing would have jammed into the swing arm soon as you touched the brakes. Looking at the swing arm key length it appears entirely possible to have F*cked this up either way. Bad as this is, it could have been worse.  Only happened once you backed the bike up, going forward all would have “appeared” normal.

Edited by Hammerhead
  • Like 3

At 10000kms, has your bike had a new tire installed?  If so, the install mistake was probably at the time when the wheel and caliper were re-installed.  The brake line looks to have rotated anti clockwise like when the tech backed the bike off the service platform.  I zip tied the caliper groove  onto the swingarm guide when I owned my T7 to keep everything where it should be for a correct install. 

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Like 2

Yes,this sucks. It never should have happened, that said.... the old saying, "If it can happen, it will happen.

Rolling it around the dealership floor, or off a lift, you never use the back brake. I can see how it didn't get caught by them.

Still, it is a bad screw up and they should make it right by you.

Good luck

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

5 hours ago, whisperquiet said:

At 10000kms, has your bike had a new tire installed?  If so, the install mistake was probably at the time when the wheel and caliper were re-installed.  The brake line looks to have rotated anti clockwise like when the tech backed the bike off the service platform.  I zip tied the caliper groove  onto the swingarm guide when I owned my T7 to keep everything where it should be for a correct install. 

I see.

The bike has not had a new rear tyre. I have ridden perhaps 500km since the service. My bike shed is on a slope and I sit on the bike then roll the bike backwards perhaps 6 meters before starting. I noticed no rear brake function,got off and noticed this.

Looking at the service sheet in the T7 workshop manual I cannot see any task requiring removal of the rear wheel? Or do I have that wrong?

If that wheel and caliper have never been removed since new, it may have been assembled incorrectly at the factory.  You and the dealer should seek a warranty claim for the damage.

18 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

If that wheel and caliper have never been removed since new, it may have been assembled incorrectly at the factory.  You and the dealer should seek a warranty claim for the damage.

I'm pretty sure that the dealer at least has to check those critical points before selling the bike. If there was an assembly error at the factory, I think it would have shown much earlier.

34 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

I'm pretty sure that the dealer at least has to check those critical points before selling the bike. If there was an assembly error at the factory, I think it would have shown much earlier.

That caliper could easily ride on the swing arm  locator/guide  as long as you travel forward……and work just fine with the axle snugged down.  I have a Super Tenere and it is very easy to not locate properly the rear ABS hub……it will work until it doesn’t.

• Like 3

I sent the dealership an email this morning  with pictures attached.  Called them at lunch time and they really just don't want to know.

They said I could drop the bike off and they would look at it. I told them to come pick it up. They guy on the phone tried to play me for a fool, claiming that it must have been me fiddling with the bike after the service because it was impossible for that to come loose otherwise.

I said his eyesight must be truly magnificent in order for him to have inspected all the parts from 15km away. As I told him there is a chance that either the caliper or the key are out of spec and its just come apart but until its disassembled no body knows. In this and most cases the simplest theory is correct and it's not been assembled by them or Yamaha.

On the 10k service chart they are supposed to check calipers front and rear. This they have not done.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

I sent the dealership an email this morning  with pictures attached.  Called them at lunch time and they really just don't want to know.

They said I could drop the bike off and they would look at it. I told them to come pick it up. They guy on the phone tried to play me for a fool, claiming that it must have been me fiddling with the bike after the service because it was impossible for that to come loose otherwise.

I said his eyesight must be truly magnificent in order for him to have inspected all the parts from 15km away. As I told him there is a chance that either the caliper or the key are out of spec and its just come apart but until its disassembled no body knows. In this and most cases the simplest theory is correct and it's not been assembled by them or Yamaha.

On the 10k service chart they are supposed to check calipers front and rear. This they have not done.

Maybe you could contact your Yamaha distributor and tell them about this case? I guess they won't be happy about your (former?) dealer's behaviour.

17 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Maybe you could contact your Yamaha distributor and tell them about this case? I guess they won't be happy about your (former?) dealer's behaviour.

Yes that is a last resort. Customer service is very poor here in Norway.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, whisperquiet said:

That caliper could easily ride on the swing arm  locator/guide  as long as you travel forward……and work just fine with the axle snugged down.  I have a Super Tenere and it is very easy to not locate properly the rear ABS hub……it will work until it doesn’t.

That was exactly my point too.  All “good” until you hit the brake in reverse. Only way that key gets disengaged from the calliper is wheel removal.  If you’ve hit the brakes in reverse before & all was fine, then the wheel has since been removed & reassembled incorrectly. Sad to hear your dealer is trying to dodge you already.  Accountably is becoming near rare as common sense these days.

Edited by Hammerhead
  • Like 3

Is the tab still on the swing arm where the caliper bracket slots into it? 

• Like 1

I posted this picture about three years ago showing how my rear caliper was zip tied to the swingarm in the correct position for the re-install of the rear wheel.

A9217590-1E9D-4F9D-B748-9B096AD6E40E.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

That was exactly my point too.  All “good” until you hit the brake in reverse. Only way that key gets disengaged from the calliper is wheel removal.  If you’ve hit the brakes in reverse before & all was fine, then the wheel has since been removed & reassembled incorrectly. Sad to hear your dealing is trying to dodge you already.  Accountably is becoming near rare as common sense these days.

This is a good point.

Been in and out of the shed for a month,no issues.Only issue is not after the service.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Is the tab still on the swing arm where the caliper bracket slots into it? 

Yes it feels like it when I put my fingers in there.

I dont want to take the rear apart untill the bike shop picks it up.I actually only want all the parts to fix it and do the job myself. ABS wire,Brake line,banjo fitting,copper washer. I dont want to go near the lying buzzards again honestly.

On the day I bought my bike,paid the money,got the plate etc. The guy sayes "Oh yeah come back monday we have to fit the muffler" "It takes hours and needs the use of special tools"

Slip on muffler taking hours to fit with special tools eh?

I avoid dealers like the plague…..I have had recalls completed but no actual routine service at a dealer for almost 50 years. 

No need to make anything up for a “review”, just post the pics on any local sites you can and let the facts speak for themselves. Let the potential customers see the “quality” of their work. Arseholes.  I’d be furious. Check everything now.
In uk we can go to the authority to inspect the bike/ car after shoddy workmanship, and they could lose their licence. Hope any damage is minimal for you. 👍

Can’t paint them all the same, but sad to think we often can’t trust some of the “pros” we pay for & should be able to. 

Have you seen the African roadside clutch rebuild from Itchy Boots?  Complicated task in rudimentary conditions with minimal tools. Looking pro doesn’t always = pro.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kiwi said:

Yes it feels like it when I put my fingers in there.

I dont want to take the rear apart untill the bike shop picks it up.I actually only want all the parts to fix it and do the job myself. ABS wire,Brake line,banjo fitting,copper washer. I dont want to go near the lying buzzards again honestly.

On the day I bought my bike,paid the money,got the plate etc. The guy sayes "Oh yeah come back monday we have to fit the muffler" "It takes hours and needs the use of special tools"

Slip on muffler taking hours to fit with special tools eh?

I remember the "special tools", you told us back then, but I had forgotten about it. Stealership applies here again.

• Premium Member

Kiwi: Could you provide the name of the dealer? Kind of interesting to know for us fellow Norwegian's. 🙂