Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

My T7 has a dirt bike VIN number?

Bunk

I purchased my T7 from a dealer in WV. They gave me a temporary tag and filled out the paperwork for the MVA in MD.  After about 4 weeks I received all my paperwork from the MVA. They sent me an OHV sticker not a tag. When I go to the MVA to resolve the issue they tell me their system shows the VIN number for off-road use only. They will not issue me a tag.  Has anyone had this issue or know how to resolve it?  

Edited by Bunk

• Bunk changed the title to My T7 has a dirt bike VIN number?

That's weird. USA VIN format for off road vehicles is now different from street bikes. Can you post your VIN with the last four digits replaced with Xs?

• Moderators

Sounds to me it was caused by a dealer screw up, I'd let them fix it.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 minute ago, AZJW said:

Sounds to me it was caused by a dealer screw up, I'd let them fix it.

Agreed.  It should have a street bike VIN.  Have your dealer fix it.  

@Bunk have you compared the VIN from the paperwork to the actual VIN on your bike?   Maybe it's just a typo in the documents. 

Edited by Hollybrook

I learned many years ago to compare the bike's actual VIN number to the registration paperwork/title and bill of sale, even when buying from a dealer.

Bought my first brand new bike (and first BMW) from a small BMW dealer in PA where I was living. Got the clear PA title a few weeks after buying but never checked its VIN, and within several years moved to VA, then to GA and then to TX. No issues with title transfers and new registrations in VA and GA where they referenced only the old documents, but in TX when the lady at the DMV office walked outside and physically checked my GA title against the bike's VIN they didn't match. This meant, of course, that for the previous seven years I didn't actually have the title or registration for the bike I owned.

Fortunately I still had the original dealer bill of sale on which the VIN did match my bike, and TX used that as the basis to issue a title with the correct VIN. Apparently the dealer accidentally gave me the title for a different bike on his floor, which meant the owner of that bike would likely go through what I was. Not sure what I'd have done without that bill of sale... 

Dealer screwed up and sent the wrong VIN I bet-Mine is tag/titled in MD and no issues. I purchased mine in Va @Colemans and they did the MD reg for me. Make the dealer fix it-Where in Wva did you buy it?

• 2 months later...

Murrlynn Gummint purposely sucking.

yes, been on the receiving end. 

low grade chaos to $%&^ with people.