Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Smashed Kickstand Switch - Removal

UltraViolentRay

Hey guys!

I navigated some gnarly rock gardens at Taskers Gap in Fort Valley, VA and smashed my kickstand switch on a rock/boulder. I managed to bypass it while on the trail (cut the wire and spliced it together) which enabled me to finish the ride. I recently went on another ride (super muddy - see pics) which made my kickstand's functionality very stiff and gritty. I decided to remove it for cleaning and re-lubing which resulted in the kickstand switch crumbling apart. I put everything back together and the kickstand works fine without the sensor but there is a bit of lateral wiggle at the hinge point. My concern with this is a quicker accumulation of dirt/dust in there. Other than that, I don't really see a down side. Have any of you removed your kickstand switch and have you had any issues?

Thanks!

PXL_20230730_185707273.jpg

PXL_20230730_215559515.jpg

• Like 2

Pretty common on all dual-sport bikes to bypass that switch.

Old Saying "If something can happen, it will happen"

s-l500.jpg

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Yamaha Super Tenere 700 T7 XTZ690 Side stand switch bypass Kickstand Eliminator at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

PS: Camel ADV sells a stronger kickstand spring (cheap) when you get tired of hearing the stupid thing clunk in the ruff.

The T7's OEM side stand return spring is a bit on the weak side and has a tough time holding up the side stand. This is especially true over rough terrain. If the side stand is allowed to swing down, even a couple of inches, the side...

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Ah so the t7 doesn't need a diode then, just the old snip and twist. Good to know

• Like 1

Regarding the wiggle: The sidestand has a lot of lateral play, but usually you won't notice it that much when the return spring is on. I don't think the removal of the kill switch affects the lateral play.

• Like 2

Taskers Gap is lots of fun on a bigger bike like the T7. 🤣

I inadvertently went down a very steep and rocky hill with diagonal terraces on one of the more difficult sections.  That was a bit too much fun for me!

Me and my buddy did the same thing. We got about half way down the hikers only trail and were thinking "this is really f'ing steep." We managed to turn around and continue on. Overall, Taskers Gap was pretty brutal. I probably won't do it again. That said, me and my friend are going to hit up Peters Mill Run on 8/11. Should be a good time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tenerider said:

Regarding the wiggle: The sidestand has a lot of lateral play, but usually you won't notice it that much when the return spring is on. I don't think the removal of the kill switch affects the lateral play.

Thanks! I ordered the heavy duty spring @Hibobbmentioned. I think it'll make a difference. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hibobb said:

Pretty common on all dual-sport bikes to bypass that switch.

Old Saying "If something can happen, it will happen"

s-l500.jpg

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Yamaha Super Tenere 700 T7 XTZ690 Side stand switch bypass Kickstand Eliminator at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

PS: Camel ADV sells a stronger kickstand spring (cheap) when you get tired of hearing the stupid thing clunk in the ruff.

The T7's OEM side stand return spring is a bit on the weak side and has a tough time holding up the side stand. This is especially true over rough terrain. If the side stand is allowed to swing down, even a couple of inches, the side...

Thanks!