Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

2 things. Mud guard and engine heat

WingVetteStrom

1.  Installed the Tusk Tail Tidy.  Works fine, but now that the OEM fender has been removed when off road mud and dirt quickly cover the license plate and my aux lights.  (Admore and Skene.). Is there some kind of aftermarket rear fender/mudguard available out there.  No luck on a search.

2. After a recent trip (albeit in high temperatures) I felt a significant amount of engine heat coming off the left side of the engine.  So much so that I had to move my leg (was wearing vented pants) away from the bike as my leg got so hot it almost felt like it was burning.  Any solution for this out there?

Thanks

Edited by WingVetteStrom

Latin America Adventure Biker and Goldwinger

Corvette Race Track Junkie.  And oh ya, Medicare recipient.

I made my own fender insert for my Camel Tail Tidy...scroll about 1/2 way down my blog article for details.  With regards to the excess heat..adding a fan switch or getting an ecu flash that lowers the fan temp on/off settings might help...a little surprised you mention the left side as the headers & cat exit on the right. 

For item 1, I saw the same issue after installing my Tusk tail tidy, but I was only concerned with mud covering the brake light. I fabricated this small extension for below the license plate from some sheet aluminum laying around the garage, and it keeps the light and plate mostly clean. Pretty unobtrusive, and is most effective when bent parallel to the ground and not like straight down in this pic.

20220318_065200.jpg.eb68e88665abc896adfb6add300d480f.jpg

More effective when bent like in this pic:

SAM_3569.JPG.e8a8b2e916fe75b2b3353df73bf5b869.JPG 

Edited by jdub53

1 hour ago, prowlnS10 said:

I made my own fender insert for my Camel Tail Tidy...scroll about 1/2 way down my blog article for details.  With regards to the excess heat..adding a fan switch or getting an ecu flash that lowers the fan temp on/off settings might help...a little surprised you mention the left side as the headers & cat exit on the right. 

Nice job.   Never heard of arena board.  What is it and where can you get it?  Googled it and nothing came up.

1 hour ago, jdub53 said:

For item 1, I saw the same issue after installing my Tusk tail tidy, but I was only concerned with mud covering the brake light. I fabricated this small extension for below the license plate from some sheet aluminum laying around the garage, and it keeps the light and plate mostly clean. Pretty unobtrusive, and is most effective when bent parallel to the ground and not like straight down in this pic.

20220318_065200.jpg.eb68e88665abc896adfb6add300d480f.jpg

More effective when bent like in this pic:

SAM_3569.JPG.e8a8b2e916fe75b2b3353df73bf5b869.JPG 

Looks simple enough.  Might try it, thanks.

• Like 2

Home made fender insert for Camel Tail Tidy incorporating oem reflectors

20230325_112220.jpg

20230424_122547.jpg

24 minutes ago, prowlnS10 said:

Home made fender insert for Camel Tail Tidy incorporating oem reflectors

20230325_112220.jpg

20230424_122547.jpg

Very nice.  What material did you use?

1/8" black arena board (abs plastic)...the template was to specifically mount to an Altrider luggage rack or similar Chinese copy...would require a different mounting point otherwise

20220910_214045.jpg

20220910_213927.jpg

20220910_213943.jpg

19 hours ago, prowlnS10 said:

1/8" black arena board (abs plastic)...the template was to specifically mount to an Altrider luggage rack or similar Chinese copy...would require a different mounting point otherwise

20220910_214045.jpg

20220910_213927.jpg

20220910_213943.jpg

Thanks!  Just ordered some 2mm black shapable with heat-plastic board from Amazon.  Should work.

3 hours ago, WingVetteStrom said:

Thanks!  Just ordered some 2mm black shapable with heat-plastic board from Amazon.  Should work.

Tip for making straight bends: using a vice, clamp the material sandwiched between 2 pieces of wood at least as wide as the material, then apply light to moderate heat from a heat gun or hair dryer & bend & hold for about 1 min at the desired angle...if using a heat gun be cautious of holding it too close or too long in 1 position as it will blemish the finish

• Like 2

Here's my fix with moldable plastic board from Amazon.  Should keep the hog's out.

Notice the silicon on the license plate bolts.  Keeps someone from putting a wrench on the hardware and stealing my plate.

(I ride every winter somewhere in South or Central America or Mexico. It worked in Colombia last winter.)

IMG_7886.JPG.489a55076da86a6458e0b29bf9059b31.JPGIMG_7885.JPG.adabb7f6aa3cf835f944d9b2afb46375.JPGIMG_7884.JPG.9a0d3c63c18c4320bdddf4c0efe343ec.JPGIMG_7883.JPG.6d337133990bd8baf5c6927f845268f6.JPGIMG_7882.JPG.d4295f24f05337f026810648a82fc8a5.JPG

On 8/4/2023 at 10:04 PM, WingVetteStrom said:

1.  Installed the Tusk Tail Tidy.  Works fine, but now that the OEM fender has been removed when off road mud and dirt quickly cover the license plate and my aux lights.  (Admore and Skene.). Is there some kind of aftermarket rear fender/mudguard available out there.  No luck on a search.

2. After a recent trip (albeit in high temperatures) I felt a significant amount of engine heat coming off the left side of the engine.  So much so that I had to move my leg (was wearing vented pants) away from the bike as my leg got so hot it almost felt like it was burning.  Any solution for this out there?

Thanks

Re No 2...

The same with the heat on my leg if my XT660z too. Anyway... I've noticed on this second-hand T700 I have, the running temperature stays around 81d, then, when around town or slow traffic, doesn't it shoot up very quickly, I'm hoping this is normal????????????

Thanks...