echopewpew

Which stabilizer should be purchased?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Scotts or GPR Stabilizer

• Scotts Off-Road Stabilizer
    • Scotts On-Road Stabilizer
    • GPR Stabilizer

Good afternoon everybody,

So after searching the forums I see some topics on stabilizers/dampeners for the Tenere 700 but doesn't necessarily answers the questions that plague me therefore I started this topic. 

I have come to the decision that I will either go with a Scotts or a GPR stabilizer.

I understand that Scotts is the one of the most customizable stabilizers which at this moment does intimidate me from outright purchasing it.
There appears to be two models for the Scotts which is Off-Road and On-Road models, I understand that they are different in the aspect of the on road dampens the return to center steering while the off-road variant does not.

The GPR Stabilizer has one knob that controls both outboard and inboard dampening of the steering which to someone who is not familiar with tuning may be easier to set and forget.

The riding I do is predominately 50/50 on road and off road. Riding on dirt trails, access roads, to rocky washes, and deep sand.

Riding in Rocky or Sandy areas fatigues my arms from the trying to keep the steering from flinging everywhere so I figure it's time to get a dampener.

On pavement I have found a slight tank slapping that occurs at approximately 84-90 mph its a minor inconvenience but also something I would like resolved with the dampener.

So the questions I have,

Would the off-road version of the Scotts (Only outboard dampening from center, no dampening inboard to center) fix the tank slapping that occurs on the pavement?

Does anyone have experience with the GPR dampeners? If so have you used it off road?

I do understand that they are both similar in price, but price is something I am not worried about. I am free to hear other options but currently these two are the ones I liked reading about.

Thank you

-echo

Been a couple days figure I bump the thread.

Will anyone be willing to share their experience with stabilizers?

-echo

I have had a GPR on my WR250R for about 10 years. It works great. 

I have a Scotts for my T7 but I have not installed it yet. 

• Like 1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

8 hours ago, Simmons1 said:

I have had a GPR on my WR250R for about 10 years. It works great. 

I have a Scotts for my T7 but I have not installed it yet. 

I am leaning towards the GPR due to its simplicity, was there any issues with the system you can recall? What made you switch to Scotts?

-Echo

I took the Scotts off-road damper off my yz250fx  to try in my the T7.  I used the mount from Triple Clamp moto.  Install was super easy.  Fit and finish is perfect.  Is it better on road with the damper than without?  Not a big difference to be honest.  Is it better off road with the damper than without?   Yes,  noticeable.   In rocky areas with washouts the bike goes straight where you have it pointed.  It reduces the pucker moments when the front tire hits rocks or off camber washouts.  Depending on the terrain I run my Scotts on 8 -10 Clicks in, from fully out.  If your just riding pavement and fire roads,  you might not be able to appreciate what a damper does.  The harder you push you T7 off road the more you will appreciate it.  Its only money!!   lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, echopewpew said:

I am leaning towards the GPR due to its simplicity, was there any issues with the system you can recall? What made you switch to Scotts?

-Echo

No issues with the GPR.

Got a good price on the Scotts, with Triple Clamp mount when I bought it. 

• Like 1

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

13 hours ago, echopewpew said:

-Echo

I went with Scotts + larger knob and BRP mount. I spent some time trying to decide which one to get myself, and I think this here is really the main practical difference between the two. The people I talked to who had the GPR said it's easier to adjust on the fly, but they are desert racers and really cared about that. The main adjustment on the Scotts (what they call the base valve that controls the amount of resistance) is more adjustable, but the increments are finer and the indents are much more subtle. Frankly while riding, I don't feel the clicks, so I just go based on what clock direction the knob is at. I actually have never adjusted the high speed and sweep settings on it and it's worked great for me, so no need to be intimidated by it.

• Like 1

advgoats.com

Also the GPR looks like it sticks back further. Might be a problem if you have or eventually will have an Acerbis tank.

• Like 1

advgoats.com

I think ill be going with the Scotts off road model it appears to be the choice if I were to get a larger tank eventually and works well with sand and rocks

The on road was the close 2nd choice but i feel a quick return to center is important 

The customizable will need to be learned

Will be ordered next week

Ill post after installation and thoughts

• Like 1

@echopewpew customizing the damper settings is straightforward. Just follow the Scotts instructions, try those out and experiment with adjusting. 

Servicing is also pretty easy. This Jimmy Lewis video is one example of how to do it. I do mine annually, just because. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uncle M said:

@echopewpew customizing the damper settings is straightforward. Just follow the Scotts instructions, try those out and experiment with adjusting. 

Servicing is also pretty easy. This Jimmy Lewis video is one example of how to do it. I do mine annually, just because. :)

I should probably do this. How has it looked when you've done it?

advgoats.com

1 hour ago, random1781 said:

I should probably do this. How has it looked when you've done it?

@random1781 Assuming you mean how is mine set up?

Scotts recommends "Starting position for the Base Valve is eight clicks (one full turn) back OUT from full CLOCKWISE." as your starting point. I'm not near my bike right now to check what mine's set at, but I recall it being close to that start point. My preference is just enough damping to notice it's there but not so much it's a drag on the handlebars. The feature I was really looking for was the high speed valving attenuating lateral deflection off roots, rocks etc. I tried adjusting the high speed valve 1/8 turn either side of the factory-set starting point, and for now am back to the default setting, but going to give 1/8 turn to clockwise more riding time to see if I prefer that.

My Sweep Control valves are set at 12 o'clock.

As with suspension settings, the same settings aren't the best for everyone!

It's well worthwhile to spend time experimenting with base valve and high speed settings in a variety of riding to find your personal preferences. I also think it's important to be confident your forks are set up well before you can get the best performance out of a steering damper, regardless of which brand you choose.

The owner's manual provides lots of setup info.

Edited by Uncle M

@Uncle Msrry, I was a bit vague there. I meant how has your oil/interior looked during your yearly services?

advgoats.com

@random1781 Ooops! Oil wasn't too bad at all after 20,000 km., half on- and half off pavement. No obvious crud/dirt/corrosion in the oil, though not clear like fresh out of the bottle! Probably isn't essential to change every year, but it's easy to do, so why not??!!

Edited by Uncle M

• 1 month later...

Alrighty!

Just got back from the test ride after installation of the Scott's Off Road Dampener.

Installation difficulty 1-5, I would give a 4 if youre doing it by yourself, a 3 if you got a buddy.

It took me and 2 friends 3 hours to install the dampener with a 30 min dinner break, and a 12 pack of bubblies (6 hours total in you include working on my friends harley... it was a nightmare)

Instructions were very clear and easy to understand, read them many times before installation to ensure that every step is understood only one instruction didnt seam feasble which was undoing the wiring harness under the ignition but installation is doable with that step.

First test was right outside the neighborhood in the desert and honestly at low speeds (dial was turned until off then dialed 10 to start) could not feel any changes. When riding briskly (30-40 mph) the dampener began to do its magic keeping the bars from veering away from center, turned the dial another 5-7 and decided to test highway (i have wobbles at 85-86 mph)

Got on the freeway and hit the speed where wobble occurs, I am roughly 15-17 clicks from full stop and there was no wobble, none at all. tested at speeds of 80, 90, and 100 mph. The ride felt smoother even though I have the offroad model which does not dampen towards center but only away.

Next test will be high speeds soft sands but that'll happen once barkbuster stuff gets replaced (apparrently AVS levers and barkbusters are not compatible without spacers, and if you take a good fall the barkbuster barend screw will bend which is a good thing)

I will update again on here after a sand test or answer questions I can 

Edited by echopewpew
  • Like 3

I must have missed this thread when it came up?  I put a scotts on a year ago and it totally changed the riding experience by taking all the jitter out of the steering on the dirt.  An absolute lifesaver in ruts too. Something like this should be factory installed like they do on decent road bikes. 

There are a couple of mounting options, different adapters.  One requires the removal of the tank and a frame mount!   Another the removal of the entire triple tree, but the easiest mounting is the tripleclamp moto variant.  It incorporates a two piece collar clamp so all you have to do is remove the bars and riser.  The job took me about 45 minutes but only because I was triple checking everything.  They are not cheap, but like good suspension they are a must have safety upgrade imo, an upgrade that also, like suspension, makes dirt riding so much more pleasurable.

SCOTTSONTRIPPLECLAMPMOTO.jpg.9a3f6d9050c150cb4fa942dc12fbd7a3.jpg

SCOTTSONTRIPPLECLAMPMOTO-2.jpg.58e343db1d5b259e93ac63af6c845639.jpg

• Like 2