Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

CP3 vs CP2 Power comparison

Alquimista

For those of you that have had the Tracer 900 / FJ-09, how would you compare the Tracer CP3 motor vs the T7 CP2 ? Would you say that for example, that if CP3 is a 10, CP2 would be a 6 or 7 ?

@Alquimista I’ve owned an XSR00 with the CP3 engine. I’d say you are about right to put the CP2 at at 6 or 7.

The smaller CP2 has a much softer power delivery. The torque is still there, but the power just does hit as hard, which is no bad thing for a bike like this. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

You kind of asked a similar question earlier

I answered CP2 “Its well over 70bhp can eat up miles, great on the road, especially twisty ones. Motorways speeds are easy as are overtakes. Though initially it will feel far less less sharp and much less than a CP3 /MT/FJ-09, that I had, and my missile MT-10 CP4 rocket. A T7 CP2 can easy pull to and cruise at a 3 figure speed (on track/closed road) it could sit at 80 90 all day. It will not power wheelie away from a junction or lights like a CP3 can but it is not a wheezy old single cylinder. It revs to 11k. On ramp power for joining motorways is grand.”

It’s not that straightforward to guess and answer why you ask again and what you really what to know. The numbering you suggest seems to relate to power outputs amounts which it is not all about max power output numbers. I’ve owned CP3 (MT-09) and currently have CP4 (MT-10) and have CP2. For a drag race the CP4 to go up the side of a mountain the CP2 in those cases the CP3 would be fun but out performed by CP2 and CP4. Up a slippy steep mountain trail the CP4 not be the thing to have nor any road bike. Agree CP2 power delivery style is much softer and is so linear it’s deceiving and it’s so smooth hence no traction control needed not just as it has less cc and less cylinders it nature is good for providing grip. I guess you are very road oriented rider. CP3 is way too heavy and much too punchy responsive for off-road. 

So for an adventure bike the CP2 is a 9 and for a missile road bike the MT-10 is a 10 and for the road and tour the CP3 is a 8.5.

• Premium Member

This is a good topic, 

Some time ago I test rode a FJ09 and remember being very impressed with the cp3 engine.  At the same demo day I test rode the Super Tenere and remember thinking if Yamaha made a smaller, lighter version the Tenere with the FJ09 engine in it they would have a winner on their hands.  (I really did like the cp3 engine that much, it felt far more fun than the s10 engine) 

I never had a chance to try a mt-07, so my future T7 will be my first cp2 engine and I'm looking forward to riding it, and hoping it will a fun bike. 

Tazmool

• Like 1

Coming from a 1200cc boxer engine and before that inline 4 I really like the CP2 engine.. there are certain things that are very good: Fuelling, torque and it revs happy with no power dips ( and this is where a lot pf manufacturers are not doing it right).

I like the fact that you can use the engine and its entire power band, it is one of the most fun bikes I have ridden and it is a very good compromise between power and fun factor.

More powerful engines ( at least for me , lack this fan factor as you are not able to use the power band without getting into ridiculous speeds on the road) 

Hope someone gets 17 inch wheels made for this bike ( supermoto style 😄 ) 

• Like 1