Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Is it possible to fix fuel tank dent damage?

insistent

Question

Got greedy and followed a friend on his grizzly 450 where i shouldnt go without proper protection and proper tires, the ground was uneven, pretty soft and rocky, tipped on the side.

Kinda suck considering the bike isnt even 400kms old. 

Is it possible to fix the fuel tank considering the area of impact?

20230820_183147.jpg

20230820_183154.jpg

Edited by insistent

10 answers to this question

1. You could get a quote from paintless dent removal shops, they can fix a lot of bent metal.

2. You could get a used tank off eBay, relatively inexpensive. Or you could get an aftermarket Acerbis tank, also not very expensive.

3. You could just swallow your pride and ride the bike like it was meant to!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, discoganya said:

3. You could just swallow your pride and ride the bike like it was meant to!

Thats something i wanted to hear. 🙂

I could check for a quote with a dent removal shop eventualy, some paint chipped so i fear it would rust, but not before i get proper protection.

Edited by insistent

Or fill it with Bondo and replace your wrap.  Don't ask me how I know...

🤣

20230417_174109.jpg

5 hours ago, insistent said:

Thats something i wanted to hear. 🙂

I could check for a quote with a dent removal shop eventualy, some paint chipped so i fear it would rust, but not before i get proper protection.

Try first to get a decent quote on a PDR fix, will probably be the best option but not the cheapest. If you find a good option to fix it with PDR, after the repair you can spray some primer or other paint to seal the metal and put new decals on the repaired area (contact your graphics vendor - they should have the option to print you just the parts you need)
If PDR will be too expensive you can always give it to a body shop to pull the dents out and finish it for you before you apply the new graphics parts

Good luck

Edited by Interceptor
  • Like 1

Be envyfear of all the immaculate adv riders around town and leave it on show 😁

Edited by sunndog
  • Like 1

Interceptor said: Amazing job blending in the colors 🤣🍻

That was the closest I could get using cheap off the shelf vinyl from Michaels.  It might not be a perfect match, but doesn't look that bad from a distance.  See the photo below from the Romney Cycles Camp N Ride charity event where I am letting disabled residents play with my bike.  FWIW, I am the guy monitoring the throttle to avoid throttle bombs!

I do have an Acerbis tank to replace it with one of these days, but probably won't get around to it until winter.  I plan on using this vinyl on the Acerbis tank as well.

IMG_6206-2.jpeg.6e798430a7ac6aad8fc64d4633a2960c.jpeg

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

That was the closest I could get using cheap off the shelf vinyl from Michaels.  It might not be a perfect match, but doesn't look that bad from a distance.  See the photo below from the Romney Cycles Camp N Ride charity event where I am letting disabled residents play with my bike.  FWIW, I am the guy monitoring the throttle to avoid throttle bombs!

I do have an Acerbis tank to replace it with one of these days, but probably won't get around to it until winter.  I plan on using this vinyl on the Acerbis tank as well.

The look of pure joy when one man grips another man's.....clutch

49 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

Interceptor said: Amazing job blending in the colors 🤣🍻

Teamwork 😛

3 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

Or fill it with Bondo and replace your wrap.  Don't ask me how I know...

🤣

20230417_174109.jpg

Amazing job blending in the colors 🤣🍻

• Like 2