Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

2024 T7 new features

niplo

So, any rumors what's coming (besides new and exciting colors)?

What would you like to see?

I'm guessing they will not be doing anything new and only bring the Extreme and Explore models to the rest of Europe. 

1 hour ago, whisperquiet said:

Price increase?

Increase it much more and you're matching KTM's 890 in price. Say what you want about KTM reliability, but they are sorting out their problems and are already offering 4 year warranties on some bikes.

The t7 fill a gap in the market as we all know. Yamaha will no doubt close that gap by adding complexity or "features" to match the like of 890's transalps and tigers rather than improving what they've already got

I guess those are the low hanging fruits - adding features you already have available in other models. I agree it would be smart of them to identify the unique market position they are in and keep building on that. Try to work on the identified shortcomings without significantly affecting the cost. Doing small things to reduce weight would also be something to draw in buyers in even bigger numbers. Work on closing the gap towards the dual sport market while keeping the on road comfort. This would set the stage for a future Tenere 900 to have it's own market place.

• Like 2

I believe the next big upgrade will be ride-by-wire for the CP2 platform and it's bikes.

Other manufacturers have done this by now on their middle weight bikes and it gives some features that Yamaha is currently lacking on theirs. (TC, cruise control, quickshifter up/down)

I know some owners won't like this, but I really don't believe Yamaha will keep the CP2 bikes "analogue" for much longer. In the last 4 years they have been increasing prices year by year with no major changes. Especially the road bikes would benefit greatly from this so I think it's just a matter of time. TFT display is already here to ease people into it I guess? 😅

One thing I would really like to see them do is make the exhaust hanger a replacable part. 

Edited by OK185

4 hours ago, niplo said:

I guess those are the low hanging fruits - adding features you already have available in other models. I agree it would be smart of them to identify the unique market position they are in and keep building on that. Try to work on the identified shortcomings without significantly affecting the cost. Doing small things to reduce weight would also be something to draw in buyers in even bigger numbers. Work on closing the gap towards the dual sport market while keeping the on road comfort. This would set the stage for a future Tenere 900 to have it's own market place.

Somebody send this to yamaha.

Just make what the t7 is better

4 minutes ago, sunndog said:

Somebody send this to yamaha.

Just make what the t7 is better

I'm available to discuss my future position as ADV segment Product Manager at Yamaha Motors.

Sincerely, 

Current Product Manager in Tech.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OK185 said:

I believe the next big upgrade will be ride-by-wire for the CP2 platform and it's bikes.

Other manufacturers have done this by now on their middle weight bikes and it gives some features that Yamaha is currently lacking on theirs. (TC, cruise control, quickshifter up/down)

I know some owners won't like this, but I really don't believe Yamaha will keep the CP2 bikes "analogue" for much longer. In the last 4 years have been increasing prices year by year with no major changes. Especially the road bikes would benefit greatly from this so I think it's just a matter of time. TFT display is already here to ease people into it I guess? 😅

One thing I would really like to see them do is make the exhaust hanger a replacable part. 

It makes sense to invest your R&D resources to development items that will benefit all segments using the CP2 engine. All depends on product strategy and market positioning. There is a definite market pull in the light and simple ADV sector. How big it is, dunno - have not made the market research.

I like what Kove is doing with the 800X Super Adventure. 20L tank with 183kg wet weight. If you can get the T7 to those numbers it would be amazing. The inherent flaw with using the CP2 engine is the tallness of the engine making it necessary to compromise on either suspension travel/ground clearance or seat height. The engine is really good with loads of low end pull, but it is difficult to fit it in an offroad bike.

Edit: not really a flaw, more like a challenge. 🙂

Edited by niplo

And extra 100cc. Or a nitrous switch, just for those moments when a Mercedes driver is pissing you off on a fast road. It’s fine all other times. 

How about upgrading the IMU and having cornering ABS? I mean that would be a value add for on road and a pretty low hanging fruit.

If you want all those features, why not buy a bike that has them?

Some of us like the T7 just because it doesn't have them. 

• Like 9

Ive got it!

Improve the suspension to 890 levels and invent a modern efi v-boost 

Instant world beater 😁

V-boost for those not in the know was from the original 1200 vmax and basically gave 50% more power above 6k rpm.

a small switch could be added to have it operate at 3k or constantly

5 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

If you want all those features, why not buy a bike that has them?

Some of us like the T7 just because it doesn't have them. 

The way I see it either you try to match the value proposition of your direct competitiors in the same price range or you separate yourself from the compeition with unique selling points. Unfortunately, it seems Yamaha is doing the former. I would be all up for going back - take out everything not needed, drop weight to 180kg, fix the exhaust hanger, drop price with 1k€, offer Standard with budget setup and R-model with top of the line suspension.

• Like 1

Can't really see anything big after only recently updating the display. As others have said, price increase and new colour schemes is my guess.

On 8/22/2023 at 11:07 AM, niplo said:

Increase it much more and you're matching KTM's 890 in price. Say what you want about KTM reliability, but they are sorting out their problems and are already offering 4 year warranties on some bikes.

Not sure it would be an issue if the T7 did even cost more than the KTM. Most are now made in China and quality isn't vastly superior let alone reliability, so is it just the brand name adding the cost for this particular model? (Love the KTM 500 exc and think its decent value for that segment vs what the Japanese offer for power to weight, and quality). The T7's are still Made in Japan or France, where costs are more yet they keep the prices lower and reliability higher. 

Warranty is useless out in the field or on an Adventure, and KTM's new pay to play add-on features shouldn't really be supported 

7 hours ago, niplo said:

The way I see it either you try to match the value proposition of your direct competitiors in the same price range or you separate yourself from the compeition with unique selling points. Unfortunately, it seems Yamaha is doing the former. I would be all up for going back - take out everything not needed, drop weight to 180kg, fix the exhaust hanger, drop price with 1k€, offer Standard with budget setup and R-model with top of the line suspension.

Not having all that electronic stuff is a unique selling point to me! 

I recently went on a ride with my friend who has a Desert X.  His bike might be a little faster on the road or trail, but he sure spends a lot more time fiddling with the electronics every time we stop.  I finally told him to catch up once he got the bike configured the way he wanted.  I later figured out that there are over 2,500 unique configurations!  My T7 has 2.  🤣

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, ScorpionT16 said:

Not sure it would be an issue if the T7 did even cost more than the KTM. Most are now made in China and quality isn't vastly superior let alone reliability, so is it just the brand name adding the cost for this particular model? (Love the KTM 500 exc and think its decent value for that segment vs what the Japanese offer for power to weight, and quality). The T7's are still Made in Japan or France, where costs are more yet they keep the prices lower and reliability higher. 

Warranty is useless out in the field or on an Adventure, and KTM's new pay to play add-on features shouldn't really be supported 

I agree that it is worth a premium to be built in Europe and Japan. However, "made in China" does not mean the same as it used to. Nowadays there are reputable manufacturers there and CFMOTO have a lot of experience with building ATVs and Motos. I also agree about not supporting the slippery slope towards subscription services.

6 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

Not having all that electronic stuff is a unique selling point to me! 

I recently went on a ride with my friend who has a Desert X.  His bike might be a little faster on the road or trail, but he sure spends a lot more time fiddling with the electronics every time we stop.  I finally told him to catch up once he got the bike configured the way he wanted.  I later figured out that there are over 2,500 unique configurations!  My T7 has 2.  🤣

It sure is unique, but in the grand scheme of things it's not going to work to charge the same as competitiors who are offering all the bells and whistles. The masses will go for what they perceive as better value for money if price is equal (or close to equal).

I agree with keeping it simple. It’s not supposed to compete with a big touring bike. It’s an xt600 updated with an extra cyl for higher cruising speeds, not a lightened bmw or triumph. The Xt was always for rough roads and dirt miles from nowhere. Not a trials bike either so not 100kg. 
don’t forget we have the new ultra tall version and the lower touring version to keep different people happy. The lower one will sell like Shet off a shovel. They can do a mt09 super ten for competing with the bigger road biased bikes. 
another good example of what people want is the royal Enfield bikes. Simple and fun. Adaptable for style and personal use. And there are tens of thousands on the waiting list for triumphs 400 single next year.  Over 10000 have already signed up for them. 

Edited by Dougie

The T7 will go with the times like all other bikes. I personally would find it amazing if it had cruise control. I have never heard of Yamaha electronics going bad anyways. All the higher end bikes have been running the tech for years.

Edited by OK185