Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

KTech Open Cartridges & Ohlins Shock

JB700

Hello

After much deliberation (much) I have finally arrived at a solution to purchase these options 

My usage is mainly 70:30 (road v dirt) & 

off-road is gravel tracks and forest roads - nothing too extreme (as I have a KTM 350 EXC-F & XR400R) 

My T700 is a middleweight touring and adventure bike - I do have alloy panniers and/or soft luggage for it

I am 110kg without gear 

I have spoken with Ktech and they have recommended 6.6 nM springs in the cartridges 

The Ohlins will be sprung to my weight and will be the hydraulic preload version 

- Am I thinking along the right lines, for a decent handling bike, not too harsh on the road etc??

- Anyone got a similar set up?

- I am looking for feedback on the Ohlins YA818 shocks too, if you’re using one ?

Thanks for your help 👍✔️

1 hour ago, JB700 said:

Hello

After much deliberation (much) I have finally arrived at a solution to purchase these options 

My usage is mainly 70:30 (road v dirt) & 

off-road is gravel tracks and forest roads - nothing too extreme (as I have a KTM 350 EXC-F & XR400R) 

My T700 is a middleweight touring and adventure bike - I do have alloy panniers and/or soft luggage for it

I am 110kg without gear 

I have spoken with Ktech and they have recommended 6.6 nM springs in the cartridges 

The Ohlins will be sprung to my weight and will be the hydraulic preload version 

- Am I thinking along the right lines, for a decent handling bike, not too harsh on the road etc??

- Anyone got a similar set up?

- I am looking for feedback on the Ohlins YA818 shocks too, if you’re using one ?

Thanks for your help 👍✔️

I'm running 6.4 N/mm in the front - 84kg without gear BUT I carry a tank bag, crashbars and a beefier skid. All these were taken into account when calculating my spring rates.

I think 6.6 should be spot on for you, or rather on the soft side.  Harshness, especially onroad, is mainly due to damping settings/valving. AFAIK, only when the spring rates are way too high, they'll cause harshness as well.

My fork for example feels quite firm, but this is clearly due to Tractive's valving: An otherwise identical Touratech cartridge on my buddy's T7 feels noticeably more compliant!

You might check RaceTech's spring rate calculator:

According to Bret Tkacs, their recommendations are on the firm side, so he usually goes for the next lighter spring.

• Like 1

I would make sure of the spring rate for the shock before ordering it.

My experience with ohlins on almost any bike is their shocks come way under sprung.  Sprung for your weight is a terrible term in my opinion and you should research the spring rate and spec what you want.  Do not leave this decision to someone else.  I guarantee if you do it will be too soft. 

I can't count the number of times I have heard someone ordered an ohlins shock and then found it came with a spring only slightly stiffer than stock.  

For someone over 100kg I would expect no less than a 90N spring, and honestly if you are 110kg and use hard bags I would make sure it comes with a 95N spring.

EDIT I just checked and that shock comes stock with a 70N spring.  They only have 2  optional spring available, a 80N and a 90N, nothing stiffer than a 90N.

Ohlins are famous for shipping with the standard spring and then if you want something stiffer you need to pay a second time for the second stiffer spring.  If you go this way I would suggest you specify what you want and let them know you will not be paying more for a stiffer spring.

Edited by williestreet
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, williestreet said:

I would make sure of the spring rate for the shock before ordering it.

My experience with ohlins on almost any bike is their shocks come way under sprung.  Sprung for your weight is a terrible term in my opinion and you should research the spring rate and spec what you want.  Do not leave this decision to someone else.  I guarantee if you do it will be too soft. 

I can't count the number of times I have heard someone ordered an ohlins shock and then found it came with a spring only slightly stiffer than stock.  

For someone over 100kg I would expect no less than a 90N spring, and honestly if you are 110kg and use hard bags I would make sure it comes with a 95N spring.

EDIT I just checked and that shock comes stock with a 70N spring.  They only have 2  optional spring available, a 80N and a 90N, nothing stiffer than a 90N.

Ohlins are famous for shipping with the standard spring and then if you want something stiffer you need to pay a second time for the second stiffer spring.  If you go this way I would suggest you specify what you want and let them know you will not be paying more for a stiffer spring.

I've just fitted a 95nm rear spring, everything else stock.

I'm 100kg nekkd. I haven't even had the bike loaded up yet and the 95nm doesn't feel too hard at all.

Can't comment as to how it would work with a new  shock to but 70nm for a 110kg geezer and loaded bike sounds like a terrible idea 

• Like 2

Had a frank discussion with a suspension shop

They sell & supply all brands

Explained everything in detail &

probably  the better option would be a Ohlins STX 46 shock YA818 model and Ohlins Open Fork Cartridge 

Everything has pro’s and cons and it’s a question of your own particular budget 

The Ohlin's front kit has changed my T7 ten fold. 

Rear shock does add stability and predictability but isn't as noticeable for me.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Danrides said:

The Ohlin's front kit has changed my T7 ten fold. 

Rear shock does add stability and predictability but isn't as noticeable for me.

Is that just the Ohlins open cartridge inserts for the forks or the full 48mm Ohlins forks ?

Edited by JB700

• 7 months later...
On 8/31/2023 at 11:34 PM, Danrides said:

just the cartridge kit

What weight are you and what clicker settings are you running in the front Ohlins cartridge for compression and rebound?