Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Croocked handlebar, raiser or forks?

insistent

Question

Yo, got caught by the rain today and wanted to go back on street then home, i was cruising on hard pack then noticed it was getting muddy with some wet grass ahead, decided to turn around, rear wheel slipped on the right (Stock tire, those damn tires from hell, keep getting more and more anxious every time i ride with those),  then tried to cath the drop with my left foot, but it made things even worst and rear wheel just flew to the right even faster, slammed the left handle bars quite hard to the hard, wet and slippy clay. Now the steering is croocked, at least nothing else touched the ground except the passenger peg. Now the wheel is croocked to the right.

Ive never had to adjust these before, except maybe once on a old ktm long ago, ive seen some youtube video on regular dirt bike adjustment, however the forks itself doesnt "seems" croocked but instead everything connected the steering could have moved a bit, but both the bars and raiser could be slighty bent? At least i think something is wrong with the raiser. I was wondering what are some of the most common failure or disaligment on these bike, and how to remedy if theres a aprtical way on these bikes?

Thank you :)

20230826_171049.jpg

20230826_171111.jpg

20230826_171151.jpg

20230826_171222.jpg

10 answers to this question

Brace the front wheel in the corner of a building and reef on the handle bars to straighten them out.  The rubber mounted risers tend to twist a bit. 

Or drop the bike on the other side 🙂

4 minutes ago, Liquidape said:

Brace the front wheel in the corner of a building and reef on the handle bars to straighten them out.  The rubber mounted risers tend to twist a bit. 

Or drop the bike on the other side 🙂

Do i need to loosen some bolts first?

Edited by insistent

In my case the one piece handlebar riser was bent. It was surprisingly easy to straighten in a vice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RideID said:

In my case the one piece handlebar riser was bent. It was surprisingly easy to straighten in a vice.

Might be bent in my case too, tried to bump the right side of front tire along a tree but didnt seem to budge much it at all, maybe i was not hitting hard enough either.

Also did you use the vice to unbent it or just to hold it in place and use some plier or something to unbend it?

Edited by insistent

From your photo, it looks like your riser is bent. I could bend mine by hand once I removed it from the bike. Use a flat surface (a granite countertop works great) to get it straight. 

• Like 1

@insistent  I held one end in the vise, then used a large adjustable wrench to twist the other side. Eyeballed it until it was straight. It doesn’t take much to bend it back….

I considered an aftermarket replacement but decided to stay with stock for now. 

cheers

Thanks yall, ill try to take it out tomorrow if i have time to check it, however at first glance it seems to be hard to reach that nut under, im not sure ill be able to with a 3/8 extension bar, what you guy used to reach it?

I used 2 extension bars to reach the nuts and for the wrench to clear the fairings.

They are surprisingly easy to loosen, not too much torque on them.

I loosened everything and pumped the front wheel a few times to get everything to re-align.

Here is a good video to watch:

• Like 1

The raiser is definitely bent, both the body and bolt seems bent actually, i will try tomorrow its too late to make hammering noises, however my vice is currently broken in half lol, prehaps i could move the bolt back with my bare hand but i doupt with the body.

20230827_023240.jpg

20230827_023717.jpg

• Like 3

So my hand and some hammering it got straightened a slighty bit, reinstalled it back and left for a ride, while its not completly straight, i do not feel the difference, maybe just by reinstalling it it did most of the difference. 🙂

20230827_163000.jpg