Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rough gear shifting. Clutch plates or??

Oxxa

Question

Hello guys, 

My bike now has 36,000 km and its been offroad a lot.

The gears are not changing well, my mechanic said the its clutch plates and that stuff, but I dont notice any high gear clutch slipping…

My problem is that when i want to change gears, it feels like im only pulling the clutch lever halfway when in reality im pulling it 100%.

Basically it feels like changing gears without touching the clutch lever

also, if i put the bike on 1st gear with the clutch lever pulled, it has gotten harder to walk the bike in reverse.

Not sure how to explain it better, i can try if you dont get something

thank you

Edited by Oxxa

5 answers to this question

Sounds like clutch is not disengaging all the way. Does your cable have a lot of free play?

4 hours ago, mcbrien said:

Sounds like clutch is not disengaging all the way. Does your cable have a lot of free play?

The cable does not have a lot of free play. That part is fine.

What else could be broken/worn that the clutch is not disengaging all the way?

Probably worth pulling the clutch apart and inspect the clutch plates for warping.

Also check the clutch basket for notches. 

Might be time for a new clutch assembly if you’ve done a lot of off road with heavy clutch use.

• Like 1

Mine is basically the same. Hard to push unless I just switched it off and clunky gear changes, especially in low rpm and when cold.

Clutch seems to disengage normally though, if it's on operating temp the rear wheel won't move on the center stand with clutch pulled in. 

I want to look into it this winter. Just not sure if I will do it myself or go to a mechanic. 

A number of people have found dry clutch plates on inspection. Soaking then in oil overnight before reassembly solved it.