Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Saying goodbye...to my T7

marktbike

Hi all, after less than three years and just over 50,000 km, my 2020 T7 Rally Edition is gone. It proved itself a great bike, I loved every bit about it and never suffered any problems. I had to change the fuel filter at 40,000 due to the excessive amount of water accumulated in the tank courtesy of horrible quality of fuel. Apart from that, it was pure joy. The place in the garage has been taken by a CFMOTO MT800 Limited Edition (it seems I have a penchant for these special colours, lately). Big change and a something of a bet, but life must be lived and, after all, it could be just a question of a couple thousand euros wasted. As of today, the first 1,500 km have been a nice experience. I'll keep on browsing the forum and I wish you the best of rides!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I would be very interested if you reported back in a few months, on your thoughts of your new bike.

Best wishes and Happy Trails....

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I would never change my T7 for a CF moto ..... but i'm curious about your opinions / feedback after you tested the bike for some weeks

• Like 3

I'm with you, Mirco.

A little bit jaded by all the chinese crap dumped on ( at least ) the Australian market.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Well, for the time being (that's to say some days shy of one month and 2,000 km already on the clock) expectations are largely met. The CF lags far behind in terms of agility, it needs a more "physical" riding style and I'm trying to adapt though I loved (and miss a bit) the ability of the T7 in delivering a relaxed yet quality infused ride. Same thing about the smoothness of the engine at very low rpm, the KTM one fitted to the CF is way more nervous and the use of a smart IAT has proven useful to make it more educated. It's great to have cruise control, it will be great in some months to have heated grips and seat. In the bends, while less agile, is very well planted and holds the line nicely. The presence of ABS cornering is a welcome feature, albeit I really hope I'll never use it. The CF is very comfortable, the large seat offers good support, the windscreen works for me (189 cm, I keep it in its highest position) and for the first time since more than 10 years I could ride without earplugs (though I keep on using them, it's become a good habit). It's good to be out and about on tubeless wheels, it makes me more serene while travelling. By the way, the tires are quite good, even on the horribly slippery asphalt they use in my area. Mileage is definitely worse than the T7's, with my very relaxed riding style I average 24 km per litre instead of the 29 I had on the Yamaha. But power is up from 73-ish to 91, so I guess I can't complain. The TFT dash is functional and BT connectivity is a plus, with the app telling you where the bike is and beeping with a notification if somebody touches it and vibrations are detected. Lack of engine brake is annoying, I guess it's a mandatory choice because of Euro5 rules forcing the engine to run extremely lean, then things are made worse because of the very light flywheel. Lighting is good and the additional fog lights are a treat. All in all, I'm satisfied of my choice and I'm enjoying the experience. Probably a drawback will surface when I'll try to sell the bike, but hey! it's a market rule and life should be enjoyed. I'll update my impressions if something remarkable comes out or when kms will pile up. Excuse me for the little organized report, I just threw in my impressions as they came to my mind. Have a nice day, you all.

• Like 4

On 9/8/2023 at 1:10 PM, Gary... said:

...where were you buying the poor quality fuel from; Country, fuel Company...etc...??

Mostly Sicily, but accumulating water and dirt in 40,000 km it's not outrageous...just annoying

• Like 1

2 hours ago, katana said:

It is a strange new world when the Chinese are trusted with close on 100bhp.

Well, the world has changed and denying that would be closing our eyes on reality. After all, the Japanese came at the end of the 1960s, doing just the same. Only the Chinese are being much faster because the production facilities and computing have exponentially accelerated the process...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ninot7 said:

changing a T7 for a CF Moto is an insult to the T7!

Well, I respect your opinion. But actually I prefer being loyal to people while betraying motorcycles, rather than the contrary! Moreover, I think that progress is achieved by means of trying new routes and that's what I'm doing, hopefully having fun and not worries. Time will tell...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is a bunch of stolen tech from China mostly.  But I might be over full from the Kove BS already.  Enjoy your bike and good luck.

• Dislike 1

7 hours ago, katana said:

It is a bunch of stolen tech from China mostly.  But I might be over full from the Kove BS already.  Enjoy your bike and good luck.

Thanks a lot...yes, tech is not original. But they're not claiming it is, the engine is literally the "old" KTM 790, with its own drawbacks. Moreover, in a way I see the whole tech question as a sort of counterweight, as we "westerners" "steal" their workforce, producing low cost. But it's just to laugh, as politics and economics involved are really beyond my sight, I'm just interested in a motorcycle that gives me fun and proves itself reliable.

• Like 4

On 9/12/2023 at 6:16 PM, ninot7 said:

why did you specifically go for the cf moto?

Curiosity first, coupled with good trade-in conditions, the CFMOTO shop close to my house and a friend running it. I wanted to give it a chance, the bikes seem well industrialised and you can perceive some quality, despite the price

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
Absolutely wrong decision in my opinion. Don't let people be fooled by make-up and a few charms. Accident-free driving is what's important.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2023 at 10:35 PM, marktbike said:

Curiosity first, coupled with good trade-in conditions, the CFMOTO shop close to my house and a friend running it...

Ok.  I buy bikes for other reasons myself, and always sell privately, but aside from that how's the new ride going?

On 1/10/2024 at 10:15 PM, winddown said:

Ok.  I buy bikes for other reasons myself, and always sell privately, but aside from that how's the new ride going?

Very well, five months and 9,000 km later I don't regret buying it. Of course there are small niggles, as the perfect bike is the eternal unicorn. But they are really fruit of a nitpicking activity and some of them specially related to my penchant for very low rpm's or low fuel consumption. Not that it guzzles lots of fuel, but I was used to the 29 km per litre (with a record of 32) of the T7 and I'm not able to get more than 25 from this (23 now that it's cold, highest is 26).  Engine brake is weak. The bike is stable, very comfortable while travelling, has one of the best protection from the air (but, as we all know, this is a very subjective matter). Original panniers are very well built and have an internal lining. Having heated grips and seat is a huge asset in winter. It lacks traction control and that's out of this world, having cruise control and ride by wire. Finally, resale value will have a role in my final opinion and that's a hairy question. At present, I would buy it again.

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing.  Personally I find both the CFMoto 450SS and the 450MT very interesting.  While CFMoto is not yet mainstream, I do think they will be!  Even now I see them in 4-wheel form all over the place around here.  Motorcycles and others will soon come too.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 10:04 AM, marktbike said:

Very well, five months and 9,000 km later I don't regret buying it.

At present, I would buy it again.

I can respect your endorsement, as your first hand knowledge is gold. 

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

On 1/13/2024 at 8:46 PM, Hibobb said:

I can respect your endorsement, as your first hand knowledge is gold. 

Thanks for your consideration, of course that's my experience and others can have different ones. I'm not saying it's the best bike in the world, but certainly it pays off the money I spent, at least until today...

Have fun on your bike, whatever it is!