Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Engine dash light on

Gus_S

Hey all,

the engine light came up on my dash after a river crossing and a little dip… the bike didn’t get water on the air filter, but it exhaust got a lot water…

Any suggestions or prior experiences??

Thanks in advantage!

Probably got some moisture in one of the connectors. I would be looking at the O2 sensor connector first. Can you get access to an OBD code reader? You will need an adapter to go from OBD to what ever diagnostic plug your bike has. I think the euro 4 (cat underneath) use 4 pin and the euro 5 (cat on the front) use a 6 pin IIRC.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, neil_ said:

Probably got some moisture in one of the connectors. I would be looking at the O2 sensor connector first. Can you get access to an OBD code reader? You will need an adapter to go from OBD to what ever diagnostic plug your bike has. I think the euro 4 (cat underneath) use 4 pin and the euro 5 (cat on the front) use a 6 pin IIRC.

Thanks Neil. It is a T7 2020…

Your bike should have a 4 pin diagnostic port under the seat. I picked up a cheap OBD code reader and an OBD to Yamaha adapter to clear the light on my bike. Mine came on when I was messing with the wiring while installing my rapid bike evo.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

@Gus_S, did you find it bud? Or did it dry out and rectify itself in a while? Need mine tomorrow for work so can’t look yet, but same thing (sort of), Welsh weather, and a jet wash (I know I know, I even thought it was daft as I was doing it). I’ll electrolube all my connectors etc this weekend. I reckon mine could be the coil pack connectors. I’ve ordered a code reader. 

Hey mate,

Yeah, found it! It was one of the fan wire plug. Dried it, oiled it and turned of the dash light using an OBD. Seems all is working perfect now…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dougie said:

P2195. Open circuit o2 sensor. 
cleared. Note to self- don’t power wash electrics again. 🙄🍺

I am still a firm believer that a lot people cause so many problems with motorcycles by washing them.

wheel bearings, electrical problems, chains, corrosion, etc. not even so much using a pressure washer just washing them in general.

Lots of guys will wash their bike and then throw it in the garage. So whatever water accumulated somewhere will have a chance to sit and start causing problems, which is not the same as riding in the rain.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mpatch said:

I am still a firm believer that a lot people cause so many problems with motorcycles by washing them.

wheel bearings, electrical problems, chains, corrosion, etc. not even so much using a pressure washer just washing them in general.

Lots of guys will wash their bike and then throw it in the garage. So whatever water accumulated somewhere will have a chance to sit and start causing problems, which is not the same as riding in the rain.

Very good point. My riding school instructor told me never to wash a bike and then let it rest. It needs at least a short spin afterwards to get rid of moisture. Have always followed this advice.

The only times I pressure wash is Winter weather with freshly treated roads. I stand back and give it a good rinse. Then ride to dry.

• Like 1