Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

New owner, wind noise

craski

Hi all, I got my T700 on Friday and mostly loving it (a few niggles) but I’m only 350 miles in and wind noise is already starting to get to me. Lots of great info on here around screens but most I’ve read so far are around folk trying to improve buffeting. I don’t suffer from buffeting at all but wind roar is really bad, so bad that over 40mph I can’t hear the engine or Akra exhaust at all.

I made a shorter screen out of thin plastic to test it and no difference in wind noise. I’ve got the T7rally screen risers on order but am worried that isn’t going to help reduce wind noise either. 

Has anyone actually had success reducing wind noise? Are the risers likely to help or is the spoiler a better bet to help reduce noise?

Hey @craski. I don't know what to tell you, but I have tried it all. Different screens, risers, side deflectors, mirrors, etc, etc. Tried a new helmet and NUMEROUS ear plug varieties. My solution...Ultra low screen. Klim Dual sport helmet, and custom fitted ear plugs. I'm 53, 6'-1", 34" inseam with some hearing loss already. I've spent numerous days (10's if not approaching 100 hrs) trying to sort this out. GOOD LUCK!!

If you want great info on ear plugs listen to this podcast - 

As the wind rushes past you while riding your motorcycle, the sights, smells and sounds all play a part in the experience and thrill of the ride. However, beneath the excitement lies a potential danger—prolonged exposure to...

then go here to buy earplugs - 

SnugsMoto are designed to be worn under a helmet making them ideal for skydiving, biking […]

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Oh no @Canzvt that does not sound great but I really appreciate you sharing your experience with it.  I'm not a fan of ear plugs, I like to hear the engine/exhaust to enjoy it and to gauge gear changes without looking at the dash.  I've never ridden anything as noisy as my T700 is which currently makes that impossible. 

3 hours ago, craski said:

Hi all, I got my T700 on Friday and mostly loving it (a few niggles) but I’m only 350 miles in and wind noise is already starting to get to me. Lots of great info on here around screens but most I’ve read so far are around folk trying to improve buffeting. I don’t suffer from buffeting at all but wind roar is really bad, so bad that over 40mph I can’t hear the engine or Akra exhaust at all.

I made a shorter screen out of thin plastic to test it and no difference in wind noise. I’ve got the T7rally screen risers on order but am worried that isn’t going to help reduce wind noise either. 

Has anyone actually had success reducing wind noise? Are the risers likely to help or is the spoiler a better bet to help reduce noise?

Lots of info here that might be of help 

• Like 1

I had terrible wind noise. Tried a (can't remember) mid size screen , larger than stock - still not big enough. When I installed a Givi tall clear the problem was solved. It's a big screen and takes getting used to but I can see over the top edge perfectly and it stops all the noise and blocks the weather. It's perfect.

+1 on ear plugs.

You can try what you want, but never read anything that made it quiet.

The cheap clip on spoiler made things a bit better for me (and kept my face shield more bug free), but ear plugs are the way to go...

The T7 is an adventure bike, not a Goldwing.

• Like 3

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Earplugs may not be anyone’s favourite, but ya know what’s way worse, hearing damage. My 24/7 tinnitus is so screaming loud that absolutely nothing, including T7 wind noise, can drown it out. That wind noise is practically guaranteed to do irreversible damage over the long  haul.

Do yourself a huge favour while it’s still an option & get used to listening to your bike through some quality earplugs.

• Like 7

@craski I use Honeywell Howard Leight Max Lite disposable plugs on highways and the Alpine Hearing Protection MotoSafe race Motogp reusable plugs off-pavement. I have no problem at all hearing the engine, exhaust, shifts, etc. with either type of plug.

After listening to the ARR podcast @Canzvt mentioned, I might try the Snugs too.  I don't want to have any more hearing loss than I already have! "Huh, what was that you said???!!!!"

@craski Do yourself a favor and please listen to the ARR podcast. I've been on 2 wheels for 45 years, and enjoy everything that burns dinosaurs. I wish I would have found good quality earplugs much sooner. I've spent well over $1000 CDN on various ones that people (including from this forum) recommended and for me custom fitted is the way to go. You don't even feel them, and I can still hear everything that I need to, whether I'm on the road, trails, snow, track, water, etc. I too ride by the sound/feel of my ride.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

6 hours ago, ADVUSA said:

I had terrible wind noise. Tried a (can't remember) mid size screen , larger than stock - still not big enough. When I installed a Givi tall clear the problem was solved. It's a big screen and takes getting used to but I can see over the top edge perfectly and it stops all the noise and blocks the weather. It's perfect.

How tall are you ?

Some more great feedback and info here!  @Canzvt today I'm going to be listening to the ARR podcast and learning more about earplugs.  I too suffer from tinnitus (I even wear ear defenders when  using the mower to cut the grass) but its never bothered me on a bike. 

I'm certainly not against a higher screen either, I just dont want to go down a path of paying for several screens (which seems like many have already done) if its never going to bring a significant reduction over stock.  That said, some of the tall screens are pretty borderline in terms of how they look and its one of the reasons I bought the T700, its such a good looking bike.

Earplugs an absolute must @craski. You will get the sound down eventually with screens, helmet etc but def need plugs that work. 
a lot of taller people have wind noise complaints on most adventure bikes ( probably not the fat 1200cc+ tourers) with near vertical narrow screens. My next purchase after a bit of research is the noise cancelling earplugs. Pricy though if they don’t work. 

Edited by Dougie

I put the screen riser on and I'm happy with results. Didn't even need to raise screen all the way up. I had a California scientific screen on my 1200 Tenere

and loved it. It had a hole in it and that was the trick. I believe letting more air under stock screen is helpful.

IMG_2130.JPG

My next purchase after a bit of research is the noise cancelling earplugs

@Dougie I've not experimented with noise cancelling ear buds yet, might have to try that too albeit I realise thats not quite the same as a noise cancelling earplug, it may still help.

> I put the screen riser on and I'm happy with results

Oh thats encouraging, thanks for adding that feedback @mcbrien

Screen risers arrived from T7Rally today. Nice quality product, good finish and fit. A definite improvement for me, has reduced wind noise quite a bit, I mean I still get noise but it’s getting so much closer to what I’m used to from other bikes.  

I have them on max rise so am tempted to maybe also try a slightly bigger screen but nothing too large. Skidmarx may be an option. 

• Moderators

@craski Be advised my T7Rally windscreen adjusters gave up the ghost recently.  Granted they had over 16K of  mixed slab and rocky AZ roads so that might have been the cause. The small spoiler I had on it certainly didn't help things as I can only imagine it added more leverage to the attachment points, but it failed spectacularly with the entire windscreen falling off the bike on a rocky trail recently.  Might want to keep an eye on the structural integrity of those adjusters if you frequent the rough stuff like I do.

20230811_094029.jpg.d6c2195cc6113dcaa8f434030ea44585.jpg

20230811_094008.jpg.9aea214829f04bd8ac80767210a7f2b2.jpg

20210817_140107.jpg.0cd52d0dd17593e2e51a95d983a4c132.jpg

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Oh no @AZJW!  

interestingly, those definitely look to be 3d printed, the ones I received are machined from a very hard solid plastic.  I was a little apprehensive when I ordered them but they do seem to be pretty solid but time will tell I guess. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, craski said:

Oh no @AZJW!  

interestingly, those definitely look to be 3d printed, the ones I received are machined from a very hard solid plastic.  I was a little apprehensive when I ordered them but they do seem to be pretty solid but time will tell I guess. 

The new Mk2 brackets that you got are different to those pictured-very much stronger 

Like about $20 on ebay and works like a charm

T7SCREEN.jpg.bd5316288baef68706b5119787ad67fc.jpg+

And don't forget the headlight protector

00033.jpg.e0f3462ddc32d6c388775139d5544b16.jpg

And the screen protector

000rkrjkf34uior5gtn3iop4ugh34pg.jpg.ea6ca3259ceb670f7a6d577c1363c0a4.jpg

• Like 1

NoNoise ear plugs work well for me. They cut wind noise but still allow traffic noise.  They're comfortable for all day use.  I wish I started using hearing protection long before I did. 

I also installed the windshield risers and that smoothed the air flow considerably. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2023 at 3:30 PM, AZJW said:

@craski Be advised my T7Rally windscreen adjusters gave up the ghost recently.  Granted they had over 16K of  mixed slab and rocky AZ roads so that might have been the cause. The small spoiler I had on it certainly didn't help things as I can only imagine it added more leverage to the attachment points, but it failed spectacularly with the entire windscreen falling off the bike on a rocky trail recently.  Might want to keep an eye on the structural integrity of those adjusters if you frequent the rough stuff like I do.

20230811_094029.jpg.d6c2195cc6113dcaa8f434030ea44585.jpg

20230811_094008.jpg.9aea214829f04bd8ac80767210a7f2b2.jpg

20210817_140107.jpg.0cd52d0dd17593e2e51a95d983a4c132.jpg

3D printing for the FAIL!!

High priced children's toys.

On 9/6/2023 at 3:02 PM, craski said:

sound like you need a louder exhaust lol 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2023 at 2:03 PM, maddog123 said:

sound like you need a louder exhaust lol 

100%

It is pretty disappointing how quiet the Akra can on the Rally is. 

• Like 1

i got a yoshimura exhaust on mine and I am not disappointed at all, the sound and power difference is insanely good.