Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

DIY T7 clutch plates change - who has done it?

OK185

Question

I probably need to change clutch plates on my T7 this winter.  When cold it's not disenganging properly and gear changes feel increasingly clunky.

Thinking to do it DIY but have never done it before.

Has anyone done it before and can share some tips/ good things to know.

At this point I took note of these things:

-last friction plate has to be rotated to the left by one slot

-first and last friction plate is different part number

-putting the clutch cover back on and have the clutch arm engange properly can be a pain, has to be ligned up correctly?

-sharp edge out on the metal plates

What I still have not really understood: do you have to dismount the water pump cover and drain coolant, or not?

Some videos on youtube they are draining the coolant and taking off the water pump housing, in another video he leaves it all together and just puts the clutch cover aside with the coolant tubes still attached.  

I am thankful for any advice or experience report. 😄

Still not 100% sure to do it myself but I feel like I have to try it at some point, just never did work on the engine before.

Edited by OK185

3 answers to this question

Search the site, a few months ago (maybe more) a guy burned up his clutch in some slimy/sticky clay. He has a really nice write up on changing the plates and some excellent pictures.

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• Like 2

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

It's a simple job. Watch some videos on the how to get the cover back on. It took me a few tries but it wasn't difficult at all. 

• Like 2