Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Highway gearing

Dirt hog

I’m currently running the 16 tooth front sprocket and love the difference on the highway the bike pulls it no problem!, I’m thinking about going 43 on the rear for a long road trip has anyone tried that tall a gearing change?? I’m no concerned about maximum exceleration but a relax rpm 

I'm gonna try it before I change the stock chain, just to try it if you get me.

I'm 100% sure the bike will pull it but I wouldnt want to go off road 

• Like 2

On 9/10/2023 at 2:24 PM, sunndog said:

I'm gonna try it before I change the stock chain, just to try it if you get me.

I'm 100% sure the bike will pull it but I wouldnt want to go off road 

Let us know what your opinion is on that set up.  Fuel burn, power, etc.

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Colddog said:

Let us know what your opinion is on that set up.  Fuel burn, power, etc.

Thanks in advance!

I will but it'll be while. Probably after this coming winter.

Seeing as the bike will still power wheelie in second (just) with a 16t i reckon it will stand being raised even more for sedate road use 

Well I could get over 90mpg (imp) on a tickled throttle on a motorway last month, stock ratio (couldn’t keep it up for too many trips though as it became playtime,) so let us know what you end up getting to a gallon on that gearing. I’m reckoning 110. 

4 hours ago, Dougie said:

Well I could get over 90mpg (imp) on a tickled throttle on a motorway last month, stock ratio (couldn’t keep it up for too many trips though as it became playtime,) so let us know what you end up getting to a gallon on that gearing. I’m reckoning 110. 

Not 90mpg average surely?

If you mean the live mpg readout mine goes over 99mpg regularly. Average is 62, best I've had is 68 on the motorway 

2 hours ago, sunndog said:

Not 90mpg average surely?

If you mean the live mpg readout mine goes over 99mpg regularly. Average is 62, best I've had is 68 on the motorway 

Nope. Genuine 90mpg. 92. Don’t get me wrong, I filled up and reset the meter two hundred yards from the motorway on a hot day, and just sat cruising in the sun at 50mph. (Along with everyone else, it’s amazing how a nice day makes better drivers😁). Level (ish) road. 20 miles. If you crossed Texas like this it would easily average 80+ even with the odd overtake. I bore easily though so next morning going back to work it came down to 65mpg as I was doing “normal” 😉 motorway speeds and passing people. 

Edited by Dougie

Danm, that's impressive even with the stipulations 👍

Don't think I've ever sat at 50 for any period of time on a bike 😆

Edited by sunndog
  • Haha 1