Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Broken From Factory?

Cbibler

I purchased a new Tenere back in May and it's been in the shop most of the time I've owned it. Soon after purchasing I noticed the bike still like to roll when the clutch is fully pulled. This is small but it's been dangerous enough to have made me drop my bike in my garage and I almost crashed into my fence once. If I start it in gear it's even taken off before. I finally got it back and it still moves with the clutch fully pulled. Is this normal for this bike?? I've owned and currently own 7 bikes and I've never experienced anything like this. I'm at the point where I don't know wether or not to return it, exchange it, or take it back to try to get more work done. 

Highly likely the clutch is temporarily fused together. Since it is still under warranty, I'd take it to a reputable dealer. Can you roll the bike freely in gear with the clutch pulled in with the engine off?

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

if it happens again in the meanwhile, apply the front brake (right side  handlebar) to stop motion.  A better option than crashing into things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Cbibler said:

I purchased a new Tenere back in May and it's been in the shop most of the time I've owned it. Soon after purchasing I noticed the bike still like to roll when the clutch is fully pulled. This is small but it's been dangerous enough to have made me drop my bike in my garage and I almost crashed into my fence once. If I start it in gear it's even taken off before. I finally got it back and it still moves with the clutch fully pulled. Is this normal for this bike?? I've owned and currently own 7 bikes and I've never experienced anything like this. I'm at the point where I don't know wether or not to return it, exchange it, or take it back to try to get more work done. 

If you own 7 motorcycles you already know what's normal and not normal when it comes to how motorcycle clutches work. The T7 clutch is like all the other standard clutches. 

Is the bike BONE stock? I ask because it's not uncommon for folks to post an unusual issue only to find out later that they failed to mention a change that had been made. In this case things like and after market clutch lever or an an after market extended lever on the engine side of the clutch. 

Any bike from any manufacturer can have a flaw.  If it's demonstratedly wrong as compared to any other bike they have on the floor then it's wrong and should be fixed.  

Have you escalated the issue to the owner of the dealership? If It is a large and busy dealership they may not be aware. If they are aware what has been their response to the issue?  It's pretty straight forward assuming anything related to the clutch and drive system are all bone stock. They either can fix it or they can replace it. 

Edited by Windblown
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Canzvt said:

Highly likely the clutch is temporarily fused together. Since it is still under warranty, I'd take it to a reputable dealer. Can you roll the bike freely in gear with the clutch pulled in with the engine off?

It does still move, just with added resistance, definitely a bit more than my other bikes. 

43 minutes ago, Windblown said:

If you own 7 motorcycles you already know what's normal and not normal when it comes to how motorcycle clutches work. The T7 clutch is like all the other standard clutches. 

Is the bike BONE stock? I ask because it's not uncommon for folks to post an unusual issue only to find out later that they failed to mention a change that had been made. In this case things like and after market clutch lever or an an after market extended lever on the engine side of the clutch. 

Any bike from any manufacturer can have a flaw.  If it's demonstratedly wrong as compared to any other bike they have on the floor then it's wrong and should be fixed.  

Have you escalated the issue to the owner of the dealership? If It is a large and busy dealership they may not be aware. If they are aware what has been their response to the issue?  It's pretty straight forward assuming anything related to the clutch and drive system are all bone stock. They either can fix it or they can replace it. 

So I took it to a different dealership only because it's an hour closer. Last week I called the dealership I purchased it from saying that I would like a free extended warranty because of all the issues I've had. I thought this reasonable since it had been in the shop for 80 days at this point. This past Saturday I finally picked it up and discovered the issue hasn't totally gone away even after they replaced the clutch components. That's one reason why I'm beginning to wonder if it's a quirk of this bike. I will add though they told me big Yamaha seemed to know the issue and were requesting a lot of measurements and information during the process. 

Also the only mods I've added are protection mods, nothing with the clutches or lever.

I’m confused-you last post says you picked it up last Saturday (from a 2nd dealer?)but the 1st post was only started 14 hours ago

either way I’d be taking it back and getting a loan bike - it’s not right

So, it appears that the CP2 engine doesn't like dry clutch plates. If your dealer replaced plates as part of the 'clutch components' and put them in dry, this could be some of your issue. Clutches are very simple but also very simple to screw up if not assembled properly. I'm not questioning your dealers abilities, but my guess is that they didn't assemble it properly.

As for it dragging, the CP2 engine does drag the clutch more so than other bikes I have. My Super T/GTS1000/WR450/YZF450 don't drag at all, but my T7 with over 28000kms on it still does. That's all I can tell you from my experience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lewie said:

I’m confused-you last post says you picked it up last Saturday (from a 2nd dealer?)but the 1st post was only started 14 hours ago

either way I’d be taking it back and getting a loan bike - it’s not right

Apologies, that was a little confusing. I've listed a shortened timeline below. 

-May 23, purchased bike

-june 23, dropped off bike to other dealership because of clutch (dealership is closer)

-16 Aug 23, bike picked up from dealership and clutch still slips/drags, just less. 

In Wisconsin (USA) we have a law as follows:

The Wisconsin Lemon Law covers new cars, trucks, motorcycles, and RVs with a defect that the manufacturer fails to fix. The defect must substantially impair the use, value, or safety of the vehicle and occur within the first year of ownership and while the warranty is active.

Before a defect renders a car a lemon, you must give the manufacturer four chances to fix the problem. Alternatively, vehicles that are out of service for 30 days or more for any number of defects quality as lemons. These 30 days do not need to be consecutive and the car does not need to be in the shop to be considered out of service.

If your car qualifies as a lemon, the manufacturer must provide you with a replacement vehicle or a full refund and pay your attorneys’ fees. The refund must include the purchase price, sales taxes, financing charges, and any collateral costs, such as towing fees or rental cars. However, the manufacturer can deduct a usage fee from the refund, so long as it does not exceed:

Edited by Hibobb

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I have always started my bikes with the clutch lever pulled, it takes a little load off the engine and that makes it easier on the battery and starter.  I never thought of it before but it would also allow oil to wash across the plates lubing them up.  Not related to OP's issue but I thought I'd toss it in the pot anyway. 

My bike started doing this over time but it was dry plates. I pulled them, soaked them in oil and havent had an issue in 10k miles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, S.Ga.Rider said:

My bike started doing this over time but it was dry plates. I pulled them, soaked them in oil and havent had an issue in 10k miles.

Am I missing something here?  Aren't these wet clutches, how do they get dry?

1 hour ago, winddown said:

Am I missing something here?  Aren't these wet clutches, how do they get dry?

Plates stick together. 
When installing a wet type clutch you’re supposed to soak the plates in oil before install so they don’t stick together. 

So the location of the clutch is relatively high in the engine. They are 'wet' clutches, but only see splash lubrication. I haven't had mine apart, but I know from previous experience that wet clutches like to be wet, or they drag. I think we are all seeing 'dry' wet clutches that are dragging. One trick I always do on this bike before I start it cold, is pull the clutch lever in, put it in second gear, and walk it down my driveway (about 100ft) to the street. The death rattle we all experience when first taking off in the morning is not longer there when I do this. My theory is that I'm adding some oil to the friction surfaces prior to starting the bike. Seems to work, and doesn't drag at the first stop.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, BikeBrother said:

Maybe best solution to dry clutch plates is lay your bike down on the right side ...🤔

That's probably why I've never experienced dry clutch plates yet - she has a strong preference to dropping onto her right side.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Canzvt said:

One trick I always do on this bike before I start it cold, is pull the clutch lever in, put it in second gear, and walk it down my driveway (about 100ft) to the street.

You're keen.  I just warm it up in the driveway for a minute or so.  Someone, here perhaps, suggested it was bad to let the bike idle that long.  I always wondered what that rider did at a traffic light 🤪

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, winddown said:

You're keen.  I just warm it up in the driveway for a minute or so.  Someone, here perhaps, suggested it was bad to let the bike idle that long.  I always wondered what that rider did at a traffic light 🤪

I think the suggestion was that it wasn’t wise to let the bike warm up from cold, idling on the side stand 

Edited by Lewie

5 hours ago, Tenerider said:

That's probably why I've never experienced dry clutch plates yet - she has a strong preference to dropping onto her right side.

That's funny - mine seems to prefer the left side. No clutch issues so far. 

Nice to see that I'm not the only one experiencing this. I have almost 50K km on my bike, but the clutch has always been sticking when cold.

I will check out the clutch plates soon, I just hope they are not burned, and just dry. 

Check out @Camel ADV latest video about replacing the engine in his T7. Cooked the engine, but the clutch plates were like new!...

• Like 2