Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Am I missing something? (heavy cruiser)

chadio

35 minutes ago, Ede-DE said:

The most modern german subs run on hydrogen/fuel cell. Mercedes had it's Mercedes GLC F-Cell running successfully on hydro. I've seen it once, registered in Norway where they have a lot of elctric driven cars.

The problem is the egg vs hen problem. No hydro gas stations - no chance to gas up. No hydro vehicles - companys that offer hydro have no customers.

Producing vehicles with batteries makes us depending on materials that are rare and when the batteries have to be replaced the vehicles are economical waste because the price replacing the batteries is more than the vehicle's worth. And you can't recycle lithium batteries. It's the identical problem with the oil: When the battery materials are gone the fun is over.

Hydrogen is a never ending story. You can burn it in a gas engine and it returns to water. Fill it in a fuel cell you get electric energy and water. So what the heck are the manufacturers waiting for? A friend of mine is experimenting with adding hydro to his diesel an says the power increase is unbelievable. So we could downsize engine displacement and weight so we get much lighter bikes. And still have the roaring sound of burning gas. Storing hydro in a tank is a technically challenge that could be solved.

Battery recycling is already possible and going to be a big thing in the future, although it is not yet. Upcoming solid state batteries will (edit: at least there are some based an natrium) rely on much more common materials - while offering much better power-to-weight ratios. These might actually work very well in a motorcycle! Less weight, and charging time would be minutes, not hours.

The biggest problem with hydrogen is its comparably bad well-to-wheel efficiency: We simply don't have sufficient electrical energy available to generate enough hydrogen right now. So I guess it won't be relevant for cars (massive efficiency advantage if they're battery-based), but maybe for a "niche market" like motorcycles!

Energy efficiency for e-fuels is even lower - BUT they would use an already existing infrastructure and be probably less dangerous than hydrogen.

Fuel cells can't be manufactured in large scale right now. Their advantage compared to simply burning hydrogen is that they really do generate water only, but are much safer IIRC. Burning hydrogen creates unwanted byproducts like NOx (not that I care much about that 😁).

Edited by Tenerider

16 hours ago, Ede-DE said:

Hydrogen is a never ending story. You can burn it in a gas engine and it returns to water... Storing hydro in a tank is a technically challenge that could be solved.

Perhaps one day, but I don't want to be the Beta tester 🫠

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, winddown said:

Perhaps one day, but I don't want to be the Beta tester 🫠

You won't. Mercedes' customers did it.

#1 is the tank.

GLC-F_Brennstoffzellenantrieb-DB.jpg

And Toyota is testing a concept car with a H² burner. Toyota Corolla Cross H2 Concept.

Edited by Ede-DE
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Ede-DE said:

You won't. Mercedes' customers did it.

And Toyota is testing a concept car with a H² burner. Toyota Corolla Cross H2 Concept.

Yeah well that's in a car, where will the tank be on a bike?  Under your nuts probably.

Have a look at the blurb about Toyota's new H engine.  It runs on Water.  They disassociate the atoms on the fly so only a tank full of water.

We all know it, at the end of the day Harley is all about image.  If you want people to see you in a certain light then by all means, buy into the image.

It's about chains and buckles, zippo lighters and that badass look in ya eye.

e0321830f6aa160bede1de93d989f1c8.jpg.f7f681dfd2998ceef2e586759711050b.jpg

mansworld.jpg.950eedbb6882ef2012e577aad2bac96b.jpg

image.png.961bb922a05e97ead4afa1c28341dde3.png

• Haha 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Dunno, but this fixation on leather and chains and stuff... maybe those Harley guys wanna tell the world something which they're afraid to speak out openly? 🤔😏

• Haha 2

Debates over which bike is best and which rider is most cool are utterly stupid. 

We're all riders all on two wheels....and the answer is obviously me and the bike I'm riding at the time 😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 1