Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Oil pan "factory" dent?

406T7

Question

Here's a couple pics, one taken flash on and one flash off, of a strange shape in the right side edge of my oil pan between the bolts (just to the left of the bolt near the center of the pic). Is this, depression I'll call it, part of the design, or does mine have a defect? Does anyone else have this divot? The oil pan finish appears to have been applied after this divot was made (i.e. no sign of marring to the finish).20230923_154427.jpg.f7f0cf02d717be0a6556d18e64a55fc4.jpg20230923_154432.jpg.aee9b2b7e06ad9130add5ed4eba59964.jpg

Edited by 406T7

Tusk crash bars/pannier & top racks/hardcases/footpad/Olympus tank bag, Rox risers, fleabay tail tidy, Delkevic full exhaust w/ 14" carbon oval can

5 answers to this question

Hard to tell from the pictures but are the white lines around the indent cracking?

Worth having a closer look, if the sump is cast alloy and something has been jacked under it then it could have cracked it.

• Thanks 1

I found a picture of a 2022 oil pan for sale on fleabay; it had the same indent in the same location, so I guess it's "by design." I generally don't trust dealership assembly (or mechanic) skills, so I wondered if they might have improperly lifted or had dumped the bike.

Edited by 406T7

Tusk crash bars/pannier & top racks/hardcases/footpad/Olympus tank bag, Rox risers, fleabay tail tidy, Delkevic full exhaust w/ 14" carbon oval can

51 minutes ago, Alan M said:

if the sump is cast alloy and something has been jacked under it then it could have cracked 

Yet the owners manual says to put a wood block under the engine, which could really only be under the sump, to lift the bike.

A block of wood to spread the load would be fine, I was thinking more a point load.

If the indent is supposed to be there then all good.

• Like 1

Thats a casted alloy pan, it cannot bend  without cracking/ braking wich means thats an oem dent and probably there to clear the frame or header on the MT07 wich it was originally designed for.

Edited by Interceptor
  • Like 1