Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

R1300GS.

ninot7

Am intrigued. Who's salivating?

Lighter and more powerful. 

Full of electronics, yes.

1st edition and needs a year or 2 to iron out all the niggles? Sure.

Am personally a strong believer that Yam would release a cp3 Tenere with a bit more creature comforts for long touring yet retaining off road capability.  If they dont in the next year, i might be swayed to the GS from my WR....

4 hours ago, ninot7 said:

Am intrigued. Who's salivating?

Full of electronics, yes.

1st edition and needs three or four years to iron out all the niggles? Sure.

Am personally a strong believer that Yam would release a cp3 Tenere with a bit more creature comforts for long touring yet retaining off road capability.  If they dont in the next year, i might be swayed to the GS from my WR....

FTFY…..and, I own a BMW.

Edited by whisperquiet

My 2015 9T has a tail light  that stays on when I use front brake. To fix I need a new antilock brake block. $1500.00.

I will never buy another BMW. I don't care if it whistles dixie.

If anyone has a used brake block let me know. PN 34518546851

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm sure this bike will sell like hot cakes. The GS has always been king of touring and BMW probably made it even better. 

Just consider that the current GS platform is basically 10 years old and new releases from KTM or Ducati are still unable to reach a decent marketshare in comparison.

I think with this new design they achieved what I think is their goal, to make it look much more sporty and youhtful, so that a much larger crowd or riders start considering it. 

I personally find the current GS design horribly busy, heavy and slow looking.  This is already  much better. 

Edited by OK185
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, OK185 said:

I'm sure this bike will sell like hot cakes. The GS has always been king of touring and BMW probably made it even better. 

Just consider that the current GS platform is basically 10 years old and new releases from KTM or Ducati are still unable to reach a decent marketshare in comparison.

I think with this new design they achieved what I think is their goal, to make it look much more sporty and youtful, so that a much larger crowd or riders start considering it. 

I personally finde the current GS design horribly buys, heavy and slow looking.  This is already  much better. 

Agree completely!

Still not my bike. I'd rather ride a Multistrada for touring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OK185 said:

I think with this new design they achieved what I think is their goal, to make it look much more sporty and youhtful, so that a much larger crowd or riders start considering it. 

I personally find the current GS design horribly busy, heavy and slow looking.  This is already  much better. 

yup, agree. They are doing a good job. 

Am a bit disappointed Yam arent filling that part of the market segment. I do love my T7 but it's way outdated with the competition now. 

Yes simplicity wins etc, but lets face it, stuff like CC has been out since the 80s and rarely goes wrong. Ride by wire too. A bit of connectivity wont hurt, and the stuff they have out now is just ridiculous -  i dont even bother using the Ride app on my WR.

Engine, suspension and dynamics are brilliant. 

Another year of lack of innovation ( and i dont mean different current wheels or paint jobs  - that's an insult to their customers) and people will start looking away at other brands. 

Same applies to all the CP2 engine platforms. 

Long story short, GIVE ME A CP3 Tenere! 

• Like 1

I agree with you. And I am sure Yamaha will make Ride-By-Wire upgrade to the Yamaha sooner or later. It is needed especially on the road going models.

If I could chose between a T7 with no electronics, and one with CC and some additional safety features I would gladly take that one. Maybe it could even solve the twitchy on-off throttle. 

There are virtually 0 complains that I can find about other Yamahas with ride by wire, so I really see no disadvantage.

Edited by OK185

A relatively inexpensive flash completely solves all throttle issues.

The only change I would make on my '22 T7 from the factory is cruise control and a better brake pedal (ala The Fix from CamelADV).  The rest of the changes I have made, and there are a lot, are more personal and I prefer using aftermarket parts so I can get the bike the way I personally want it.

18 hours ago, ninot7 said:

1st edition and needs a year or 2 to iron out all the niggles? Sure.

I don't know...I had a 2015 GS that developed hard/impossible shifting issues a bit later in life. My reputable shop suggested I start looking for used transmissions from a 2017.5+, because that's the year they worked out the kinks. That's a long time to get a transmission right.

Similarly, the drive shafts were no longer rebuildable starting with the LC - the material was too thin to machine. Whenever I see something like more power and lighter, I (maybe wrongly) assume that the unmentioned sacrifice is durability or serviceability.

The GS rides the legacy of the go-anywhere, bomb-proof tank, but I think as the years go on, it evolves away from that to more of a spec-laden weekend rider. I think that's where the market demand is, so it makes sense. Seems like it's hard to bridge the gap between that and people who want to ride more aggressively.

• Like 4

advgoats.com

17 minutes ago, OK185 said:

I agree with you. And I am sure Yamaha will make Ride-By-Wire upgrade to the Yamaha sooner or later. It is needed especially on the road going models.

If I could chose between a T7 with no electronics, and one with CC and some additional safety features I would gladly take that one. Maybe it could even solve the twitchy on-off throttle. 

There are virtually 0 complains that I can find about other Yamahas with ride by wire, so I really see no disadvantage.

I had a tracer 9gt and an r1200gsa 2013 prior to the t7 and although i could live without the electronics, my tracer was as solid as the tenere in 2 years of ownership with zero issues. CC was great and RBW really nice and responsive. Obviously went with the tenere for offroad capability and the stuff that i do on my Wr i wouldn’t do on a GS. 

9 minutes ago, random1781 said:

I don't know...I had a 2015 GS that developed hard/impossible shifting issues a bit later in life. My reputable shop suggested I start looking for used transmissions from a 2017.5+, because that's the year they worked out the kinks. That's a long time to get a transmission right.

Similarly, the drive shafts were no longer rebuildable starting with the LC - the material was too thin to machine. Whenever I see something like more power and lighter, I (maybe wrongly) assume that the unmentioned sacrifice is durability or serviceability.

The GS rides the legacy of the go-anywhere, bomb-proof tank, but I think as the years go on, it evolves away from that to more of a spec-laden weekend rider. I think that's where the market demand is, so it makes sense. Seems like it's hard to bridge the gap between that and people who want to ride more aggressively.

My GSA was a 2013 last of the oil cooled and was great as a 95:5 bike. I wouldnt take it on anything more than a bit of a gravel road due to weight personally. It was solid-ish and sold it before the main seal, clutch and esa surrendered. 
indidnt know about the rebuilding of the LC shafts was an issue. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ninot7 said:

yup, agree. They are doing a good job. 

Am a bit disappointed Yam arent filling that part of the market segment. I do love my T7 but it's way outdated with the competition now. 

Yes simplicity wins etc, but lets face it, stuff like.....

Well, you can't please everyone.  The whole concept of the T7 was for those that cried out for a simple reliable machine with a price to match.  The T7 meet all those, and then some.   By your way of thinking the T7 was outdated before it was even produced in 2019. 

If you want a complicated bike there are those on the market. 

Edited by Toymaster
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Toymaster said:

Well, you can't please everyone.  The whole concept of the T7 was for those that cried out for a simple reliable maching with a price to match.  The T7 meet all those, and then some.   By your way of thinking the T7 was outdated before it was even produced in 2019. 

If you want a complicated bike there are those on the market. 

when i got my WR, it cost more than an 890 Adv R.

Tenere is not value for money, more like a solid bike that would always get you home. That's why i bought it. However, Yamaha is also known to stick electronics in their bike which remain faultless and very reliable compared to those on the market in their other bikes - and that's what i mean. 

The MT07 is a properly outdated bike now in terms of spec, and if i was in the market for a mid naked i wouldnt even consider it as it's got the least spec for the most money! 

Tenere is heading that way too. Simplicity doesnt have to be bare. Just like an ABS module, fly by wire and a few software tweaks can be as reliable! Yam need to up their game, especially for the prices they are charging. 

Mind you, i do love my Tenere and it's a keeper, for now.

• Like 1

^^^^^^  It would seem your opinion is in the minority.  Oh, most of the world doen't get the WR, but what you paid for is larger tank, better screen, and better shocks.   I have the T7 and wouldn't trade for the WR.  However, I did spend over $2.5k for better suspension.  For long journeys I choose a completely different bike. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Toymaster said:

^^^^^^  It would seem your opinion is in the minority.  Oh, most of the world doen't get the WR, but what you paid for is larger tank, better screen, and better shocks.   I have the T7 and wouldn't trade for the WR.  However, I did spend over $2.5k for better suspension.  For long journeys I choose a completely different bike. 

you know what they say about opinions. they are like arseh0les. everybody's got one 😄

11k miles later i have zero regrets re my WR and it's being used as intended.

Still the above stands, some innovation is needed, in my humble opinion. 

46 minutes ago, ninot7 said:

My GSA was a 2013 last of the oil cooled and was great as a 95:5 bike. I wouldnt take it on anything more than a bit of a gravel road due to weight personally. It was solid-ish and sold it before the main seal, clutch and esa surrendered. 
indidnt know about the rebuilding of the LC shafts was an issue. 

Yeah I think the GS is one of those bikes that I'd want the last year of before major changes. Unless you're the type that rides it within the warranty and then trades out for a new one, I wouldn't take that plunge.

I also think the oil cooled clutches were more durable, but being able to change the clutch out on the LC without splitting the bike pays off.

• Like 1

advgoats.com

I moved from a '22 R1250GSA over to the T7 for a number of reasons.  I wouldn't go back to BMW, but the new bike is certainly a step in the right direction.   Visually, the bike is way cleaner looking, even with the polarizing headlight (which I don't think is all that bad).  The engine guards are more sensibly designed now, and it seems like the cylinders are also more forward from their prior position.   Unfortunately they're sticking with telelever in the front, but these will sell like hotcakes.

5 hours ago, headwinded said:

I moved from a '22 R1250GSA over to the T7 for a number of reasons.  I wouldn't go back to BMW, but the new bike is certainly a step in the right direction.   Visually, the bike is way cleaner looking, even with the polarizing headlight (which I don't think is all that bad).  The engine guards are more sensibly designed now, and it seems like the cylinders are also more forward from their prior position.   Unfortunately they're sticking with telelever in the front, but these will sell like hotcakes.

any of the reasons you mentioned are non-weight related?