Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Bike pulls to the right when braking

Fabros

Question

• Premium Member

Hi,

My Tenere has developed a really weird issue.

During braking, and only when braking with the front brake, the bike pulls to the right. 

It is not left and right, just to the right. 

I have released all tension in the triple clamps, checked and torqued everything to spec from the head bearing to the axle, with no effect. I have also tried two different complete front wheels, still nothing. 

Could I have a bad fork leg?

Thanks in advance. 

17 answers to this question

The left hand caliper will not even come in to the equation. Think of all the bikes with single front discs. They don’t pull to their respective sides. Unlike cars when they have unequal braking powers.

The solution will lie with incorrect rear wheel alignment, or bent forks/frame.

• Like 3

Having a bad set of pads or a problem with one caliper of the other would not create a pull on the bars/bike when braking.  I'd look for an alignment issue. 

has the wheel been off lately? if so, has it been aligned with the caliper ? (pump the front end up and down few times). That or left caliper seized? check the warmth of each disc after a ride.

• Like 1

Is there grease or oil on the left brake pads?  Maybe from a bad caliper piston seal?

While this is good to check, it should not cause a pull to one side unless there are other more important factors such as bad bearings that allow the wheel to suddenly turn relative to the axle. 

Edited by Hollybrook
Clarifying how this could be relevant
  • Like 1

The solution has to be found in a misalignment of the front forks and or misalignment of the axle. It would seem as though when breaking more weight is transferred onto the front wheel and the misalignment is revealed.  During acceleration and cruising the weight on the front wheel is lighter and not showing the misalignment to the same extent. It might be best too lift the front wheel off the ground then lightly loosen the axle pinch bolts and then spin the front tire by hand and then grab a handful of brake. Repeat the process two more times then tighten the pinch bolts. This will place the front wheel in a neutral position. After doing this test ride the bike. 

Edited by Ken Huval
Misspelled word
  • Like 1

Are you pulling too hard on the brake lever? It is on the right 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Well if it was me I'd

1/ Check the rear wheel alignment asdiscog suggested (simple)

2/ look at the left rotor to see if it was contaminated (simple)

3/ remover the RH caliper and see if the LH is working at all

4/ Spacer missing off axle?  Accident damage?  Take it to a shop. 

• Premium Member

Thanks for all your replies!

Additional information:

This happened during a ride. I rode 430km, and suddenly it started pulling right. 

The bike is also converted to single disc (left side), and brakes flawlessly. 

2 hours ago, Fabros said:

Thanks for all your replies!

Additional information:

This happened during a ride. I rode 430km, and suddenly it started pulling right. 

The bike is also converted to single disc (left side), and brakes flawlessly. 

Any big crashes during the ride mate? Rear wheel removed for a puncture repair?

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, Buggy Nate said:

Any big crashes during the ride mate? Rear wheel removed for a puncture repair?

Nothing. No crashes, no wheel removal. 

24 minutes ago, Fabros said:

Nothing. No crashes, no wheel removal. 

Long shot - Wheel bearings?

• Like 1

Longer shot- unscrew the vent screw on the top of each of the forks. Maybe a difference in pressure between them is preventing one fork from compressing as much as the other during braking. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liquidape said:

Longer shot- unscrew the vent screw on the top of each of the forks. Maybe a difference in pressure between them is preventing one fork from compressing as much as the other during braking. 

I once had a FZR1000, from the time I bought it it had a bad vibration from the front under heavy braking. Checked the obvious stuff, disc and wheel run out, all perfect and in spec. Stripped the forks and whoever had previously rebuilt them had put different amounts of oil in each leg. As Liquidape has suggested, could be a fork issue.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Thanks, guys. 

Wheel bearings are checked on both wheel sets, with no issues found. 

It seems that the front fork may be the issue. I have the Öhlins cartridges installed, which was done by the previous owner. I talked to my local suspension guy, who also thinks that it may be due for an overhaul of the front fork. Will do my Öhlins rear shock s well, while we are at it.