Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Top Box Options

Jayzonk

Just assessing my luggage options for the Tenere and I'm committed to only using a top box and a seat bag on the mono seat.  

I have the OEM rear rack, so I have the Givi monokey attachment system already in place.  I could go with a 42 litre aluminum top box like the OEM 42 litre box  (which is a Givi Outback Trekker), but I'm wondering if Givi makes a lighter case in another material (resin?) That has the monokey system.  Givi doesn't publish the weights on everything, so it's hard to tell.   

Ti be honest mate if you're fitting a top box on top of the heavy oem rack you're past worrying about the extra weight of aluminium vs plastic.

If you're worried about weight for off roading then a top box is the last thing you want 

• Like 2

Givi lists the weight of this 46 liter plastic case at 10.12 lbs, but no idea how compares to their metal cases. 

This GIVI E460N sizable 46 liter matte black top case represents the longevity in style that GIVI is know for globally. It has a retro design, is easily latched, locked and is capable holding two...

I used this same plastic top case on six street different bikes over 18 years or so and it's still on a shelf in my garage. A bit faded and scratched up but still full functional and 100% waterproof.

7 hours ago, sunndog said:

Ti be honest mate if you're fitting a top box on top of the heavy oem rack you're past worrying about the extra weight of aluminium vs plastic.

If you're worried about weight for off roading then a top box is the last thing you want 

Off-road is definitely more important than road for weight distribution, but I still feel that trying to minimize the weight added by the container (box, bag, etc) itself  can save needless weight added to the rear.  I currently have a hydroformed Givi topcase that weighs virtually nothing, probably four pounds, but it holds 34 liters.  I'd like to get to 42 to 47 liters if possible, with little increase in weight.  A 42 litre Givi aluminum top box is 13.3 pounds.  A plastic Givi Trekker is still 12.5 pounds.  Something under 8 pounds would be ideal.  Not sure what the Canyon soft topcase weighs.  An XL08 formed semi-rigid case is 11 pounds, get 40 litres.  But a regular, round top box like the one listed by jdub53 is around 9.8 pounds!  Seems like the best weight to volume still comes from the traditional rounded (oval) top cases.  

I would say that if you already have a top box you're happy with, then you could just take a slightly bigger bag on the rear seat. Or you could just find a place to strap a 6 litre crash bar bag, those will go just about anywhere.

Millions unreached, none unreachable.

I do think that you need to be careful with the amount of weight you add to the rear rack though. The Tenere's sub frame isn't really built to take too much. Outback Motortek reccomends a maximum of 8 kg on theirs, and it looks just as sturdy as the OEM rear rack.

Millions unreached, none unreachable.

10 minutes ago, DVVVDM said:

I would say that if you already have a top box you're happy with, then you could just take a slightly bigger bag on the rear seat. Or you could just find a place to strap a 6 litre crash bar bag, those will go just about anywhere.

Yes, I have that plan as well.  Strapping to the mono seat needs to be optimized....if the perimeter of the bag sits inside the edges of the plate, the strap tightening isn't ideal.  If the bag is the same size or bigger than the perimeter, it's easier to cinch it down; if it's too big, it will droop over the sides, which isn't a big deal so long as it can be cinched solid.  Wondering if something very malleable/flexible is the best answer for the seat?  Perhaps a thinner vinyl bag, like some of the poly bag liners might be best.  

15 minutes ago, DVVVDM said:

I do think that you need to be careful with the amount of weight you add to the rear rack though. The Tenere's sub frame isn't really built to take too much. Outback Motortek reccomends a maximum of 8 kg on theirs, and it looks just as sturdy as the OEM rear rack.

I agree!  Eliminating four pounds out of the bag itself means that I can increase the weight of the contents I choose to bring on the trip!

I have a 6 litre Kriega Adventure Pack (OS-6), and you can buy a tank harness for cheap and attach this 6 litre bag to it to make a tank bag.  Has anyone used this?  Is there lots of rubbing on the paint?  

16 litre  ABS waterproof case bolted to rear rack offers an economical,  functional & lockable storage compromise while keeping weight relatively low to minimize negative impact on handling...the rear rack is the least desirable place to add excess weight & mass.

• Like 2

How do you keep the bolt holes from leaking?  Just the press fit with the bolt and the washer?

3 hours ago, Jayzonk said:

How do you keep the bolt holes from leaking?  Just the press fit with the bolt and the washer?

I used large diameter snug fitting thin rubber washers to seal the carriage bolts under the aluminum plate on the interior & sandwiched a layer of rubber matting between the 1/8" abs board used to stiffen the case bottom & the rear rack...see pics in blog...the case lid has a rubber gasket sealing the lid & case bottom...has been water tight so far even when using a high pressure water hose during cleaning.

Edited by prowlnS10
  • Like 1

I just went to the post and saw the pictures.  What a great setup...looks good, looks durable,  and it's the fraction of the price of a pre-made one.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jayzonk said:

I just went to the post and saw the pictures.  What a great setup...looks good, looks durable,  and it's the fraction of the price of a pre-made one.  

I try to keep the majority of the load between the axles...have GL MotoTrekk soft bags with their quick detachable & lockable bag mounts for longer trips

20231001_125638.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, prowlnS10 said:

I try to keep the majority of the load between the axles...have GL MotoTrekk soft bags with their quick detachable & lockable bag mounts for longer trips

20231001_125638.jpg

Nice setup with the cross-ways bag.  Looks like it might be restricting your seat movement?

4 hours ago, Jayzonk said:

Nice setup with the cross-ways bag.  Looks like it might be restricting your seat movement?

The 40 L Nelson Rigg Hurricane Dry Bag sits on the oem passenger seat & makes a good back rest, allowing me to use all of the Seat Concepts Sport Touring rider seat & only limits rearward movement in a few scenarios...at 185 cm or 6' 1" my butt easily slides over the top of the bag a little & sit down on it while standing when needed....a less tall bag would be less intrusive.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 3:23 PM, DVVVDM said:

I have a Kriega OS-6.  Kriega sells a tank pad adaptor so that you can hook this OS-6 to it.  Has anyone tried it?  I'm concerned that these strap-down-type pads might scratch, or trap debris underneath.  Not sure, but they look like something to be avoided.  

On 10/11/2023 at 4:20 PM, prowlnS10 said:

16 litre  ABS waterproof case bolted to rear rack offers an economical,  functional & lockable storage compromise while keeping weight relatively low to minimize negative impact on handling...the rear rack is the least desirable place to add excess weight & mass.

Oh, man. Great setup! This is exactly what I was just looking for. 

20231016_1446112.jpg.26d6b9acbd2c4bed2374ee3664e38f37.jpg

My "cheap" solution. The only usable left-over from my short German misstake.  It's a conversation piece among the  brand believers. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anyone installed a Kriega OS base or any other soft luggage base on their T7's despite having a top box rack?

Planning a trip in December that will need me to carry camping gear + clothes + food + other bits for a 12 day trip and I am looking at options.

Not keen on getting pannier racks, so looking at soft luggage options that would possibly work with the Givi Top Box rack.

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

I haven't. But there is a thread that talks about the plastic bits around the fear subframe breaking if you strap them down too tight,  which is why I'm avoiding a rackless system.  I'll try to locate it.  I've gone to a top box and lightweight semi-rigid case setup. 

On 10/16/2023 at 12:23 PM, anth said:

20231016_1446112.jpg.26d6b9acbd2c4bed2374ee3664e38f37.jpg

My "cheap" solution. The only usable left-over from my short German misstake.  It's a conversation piece among the  brand believers. 🤣

Looks like a tank bag attached to the rear carrier?

19 hours ago, Jayzonk said:

Looks like a tank bag attached to the rear carrier?

Bad guess. Tail bag from my long departed r 1200 st.