Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Workshop Manual Update??

Dibles

Question

Hi All,

Anyone aware if there has been an update to the tightening torqs section in the gen workshop manual? My 2020 manual BW3-F8197-E0 states 40nm for the front caliper bolts.

It’s just stripped the caliper threads so need new bolts and caliper. Joy!

If anyone would be kind enough to check their info and let me know if I’m missing something or need a new manual on top of a dam caliper 😬🙈

7 answers to this question

I only know the plain old workshop manual and have torqued the calipers down to 40 Nm as well - no problems yet!

Pity your's are damaged now.

• Like 1

So, the bolts don't actually thread into the caliper. They thread into the caliper carrier. Kind of semantics, but this part is relatively inexpensive. It can also be repaired at any quality shop (or at home) with a Heli-coil or other suitable thread repair system. Also, not sure why you need new bolts. It the stock bolts were used and you pulled the thread out of the aluminum carrier, simple remove the aluminum from the bolts with a wire brush and re-use. If something (grit/dirt/etc) got in the threads up install, and galled the steel threads, different problem, and likely the parts would need to be replaced.

• Like 2

I think I have Yamaha disease...

11 minutes ago, Canzvt said:

So, the bolts don't actually thread into the caliper. They thread into the caliper carrier. Kind of semantics, but this part is relatively inexpensive. It can also be repaired at any quality shop (or at home) with a Heli-coil or other suitable thread repair system. Also, not sure why you need new bolts. It the stock bolts were used and you pulled the thread out of the aluminum carrier, simple remove the aluminum from the bolts with a wire brush and re-use. If something (grit/dirt/etc) got in the threads up install, and galled the steel threads, different problem, and likely the parts would need to be replaced.

Heading for the Yamaha parts website later, yes bolts into the carrier but unsure yet if they sell separately or complete as “Caliper” if they sell the carriers separately I’ll be happy but with things the way they are these days I’ll be impressed if you can buy them separately!! Bolts look ok but for the sake of a few quid I’d prefer new ones into a new carrier. This current pairing have failed for one reason or another so that’s enough justification to replace for the sake of a few quid. I’ll try and get some pictures on a separate “Brake” thread.

Other than early dealer servicing for warranty only I have touched the bike and everything is torqued to manual spec so it’s a shame but is what it is I guess. 2019 bike with 50k

• Like 1

Crappy situation dude. I checked the Canada parts website, and you have to replace the caliper complete. I'd Heli-Coil the threads in the hanger, and replace the bolts. Will be better than new.

Did a bit of homework on engineering sites, and 10mm bolt torque in aluminum typically ranges from 18-24 lb-ft - 24-32 NM depending upon aluminum grade. I've had my calipers off a number of times changing tires/wheels but never torqued them to spec, but to feel, so can't comment on if its accurate. Good luck!

• Like 2

I think I have Yamaha disease...

3 hours ago, Canzvt said:

I've had my calipers off a number of times changing tires/wheels but never torqued them to spec, but to feel, so can't comment on if its accurate. Good luck!

+1 for this and a paint pen to mark bolts. I think poor quality torque wrenches can do more harm than good, at least in my experience they have! Anti-seize is extremely helpful too, especially for aluminum parts.

advgoats.com

No matter what the quality of torque wrench, they need to be checked regularly.  I had one drift quite a bit off spec and ended up visably stretching wheel studs on my race car. 

• Like 1