Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Luggage discussion

174ktm

Back story - My T7 was my first adventure bike (bought new), and I didn't know what to buy for luggage. Not knowing what I really wanted, I went with SW-Motech hard luggage, 37l sides and 38l top with SW-Motech racks (dealer gave me a good deal when I bought my bike). After using this system a few times, I realized I made a expensive error. 

I  bought a used set of Mosko Moto Back Country offset pannier. 

Question for all - Should I use the SW-Motech pannier racks? or buy something like the Outback Motortek side racks?

Has anyone used the NICECNC rear tail rack?

I want to sell the hard bags and have no issue if someone doesn't want the racks. But if they want the rack too, I need to come up with a plan this winter. Yuppers, it's winter with snow and all, I have some time. Thanks for your input. 

On 10/29/2023 at 1:56 AM, 174ktm said:

Back story - My T7 was my first adventure bike (bought new), and I didn't know what to buy for luggage. Not knowing what I really wanted, I went with SW-Motech hard luggage, 37l sides and 38l top with SW-Motech racks (dealer gave me a good deal when I bought my bike). After using this system a few times, I realized I made a expensive error. 

I  bought a used set of Mosko Moto Back Country offset pannier. 

Question for all - Should I use the SW-Motech pannier racks? or buy something like the Outback Motortek side racks?

I want to sell the hard bags and have no issue if someone doesn't want the racks. But if they want the rack too, I need to come up with a plan this winter. Yuppers, it's winter with snow and all, I have some time. Thanks for your input. 

I also bought the SWMotech set up, with alloy panniers and like it 

I like the fact you can remove the pannier frames in 20 seconds 

I don’t use the racks  day to day, but for touring they’re great 

if I am doing an off-road biased tour, then I would use my Wolfman Expedition panniers which are soft luggage, with the SW Motech demount frames (Kriega do plastic boards to attach to the SW Motech racks, if you want them to provide a flat surface) and you can just attach the soft luggage to them 

I like having both hard and soft luggage options 

I think Mosko stuff is extremely expensive-albeit good 

IMG_5702.jpeg.6755a89acb3bd0a9abb8d78fa0cdb8eb.jpegIMG_5711.jpeg.a1a6c22812b448b557fa8936f891e74e.jpeg

Edited by JB700
  • Like 1

Right on. I like having both as an option as well.  Being my 1st ADV bike I've been through several set-ups now unfortunately.  What I've settled on is= Tusk Excursion throw-over soft bags for day trips/ SW Motech quick release side racks paired with Givi 36L hard cases for multi day trips.  Its a good combo IMO and both are quick and easy to mount.

@174ktm What was your expensive error with the SW set-up?  What don't you like about it?

53 minutes ago, DT675 said:

Right on. I like having both as an option as well.  Being my 1st ADV bike I've been through several set-ups now unfortunately.  What I've settled on is= Tusk Excursion throw-over soft bags for day trips/ SW Motech quick release side racks paired with Givi 36L hard cases for multi day trips.  Its a good combo IMO and both are quick and easy to mount.

@174ktm What was your expensive error with the SW set-up?  What don't you like about it?

I bought the SW because of quick disconnect racks, as stated about, 20 secs to disconnect. I just don't use the boxes when off highway riding, I just don't want to lay the bike down off roading with these. I am also recovering from a foot/leg injury (non-bike related) and having big boxes may become a safety concern. I borrowed a set of Giant Loop Mototrekk and like the compressive capabilities of them, water proof, light weight. I was going to buy a set of my own giant loops but found a set of used Mosko's. My SW hard boxes are never going to be used again.

• Like 1

I'm with you on this matter. I have first bought the complete SW Kit, which I do like a lot for the exact same reasons stated by @174ktm. Now when I do something more offroad biased, I rely on my Red Mamut kit. Noone ever said you have to decide for one kit 😉 even more so as the T7 gives you the opportunity for multiple applications

Edited by qInvention

On 10/29/2023 at 1:56 AM, 174ktm said:

I have some other things from NICECNC that I'm very happy with. I'm sure that premium brands will have tighter tolerances and other small improvements that make their products higher quality. But often times you get a 80% higher price for a 20% nicer product. I'll let each one decide for themselves whether that is worth it. So, I don't own their tail rack, but am happy with the other products I have from NICECNC and doubt you would be disappointed if you decide to go for them.

Millions unreached, none unreachable.