Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Ducati - powerful single

chadio

Strange times ahead as Ducati is also planning to venture into motocross as is Triumph, they have a 250 in the works. 
The Superquatro looks like stiff competition for the KTM 690 though and can imagine it used in a range of road and off-road bikes. 
Long live the Thumpers 👍😊

• Like 2

@qInvention

Especially the rev range and maintenance interval:

With a record ratio of 1.86 thanks to its very short stroke of 62.4 mm, and a maximum rotation speed of 10,250 rpm,
it's a motorcycle engine that's built to thrill.

Despite the thrill and performance on offer, the Superquadro Mono has an impressive maintenance interval, 
reports Evo India. Valve checks and adjustments, if needed, are required only every 30,000 km, 
making it a practical and user-friendly choice for enthusiasts. 
The oil change interval is also quite generous at 15,000 km.  

Edited by deanso

Yup! Diameter and stroke make it look like a race engine, which is why I was even more impressed about the maintenance interval. Doesn't really seem to coincide. 

Future will tell where Ducati decides to install this engine and how it will operate there. I didn't see an indication of its weight, which would have been interesting. Just imagine a bike somewhere in between a Desert X and a MX: strong, fast, light... way too capable for what I can ride 🙃

• Like 2

First bike with this engine was just announced the other day. A new hyper Motard. Looks pretty cool, but I think the dual exhausts for a single is kinda stupid. Just adding weight. 
Total hooligan bike with wheelie assist and other tech to help back it in to corners. 

• Like 1

Makes sense.

About the double exhaust: the XT660X also had that, I found it nice although never owned one.

If Ducati were to put this into the DesertX, I wonder how much lighter it would be...

• Like 2

"ADV  ONE DROP AT A TIME " - Chronicles of Solid

You can't use the engine unmodified for offroad/adventure. The gear ratio points directly to xmoto with a very long 1st gear. And if Ducati does changes to that I'm not shure that the bike would meet the regulations (noise & emissions) to be street legal.

My first street legal bike was a Ducati Mach I from '65. Since then I'm very interested in what Ducati builds. Never had one after that first bike.