Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Fuel type

Lyfe BehindBars

Hi all,

still waiting to get mine here in Canada but since I bought this bike to do some travelling with, I have a question regarding fuel type. 

See photo attached. 

On on the left it states premium unleaded and in the middle it states regular and on the right a max of 10% ethanol. Has anyone been running on regular with 10% ethanol? 

Just concerned that some countries may not have anything above regular e10 in remote areas as well as likely worse fuel. Anyone had experience with lower grade fuels?

Anyone using regular e10?

issues?

thanks

Lyfe

IMG_0147.PNG

Edited by Lyfe BehindBars

• Premium Member

Hmm,  

That's a good catch.
My guess is that Yamaha did not proof-read their manual too closely?  Or their definition of "regular" is different in Europe than in North America? 

European standard RON 95 octane fuel is USA/Canada 91 AKI (R+M)/2  which is "premium" fuel, "regular" normally is RON 91 or AKI 87.

E10 fuel is 10% ethanol, I'm pretty sure in Europe there is no ethanol in their fuel, its  mostly a North American thing (I could be wrong), ethanol blends are not a good thing either, but that's a different topic.  Ethanol has no bearing on Octane rating, so you don't have to worry about it, but I don't think you'll get much info from current T7 owners running 87 e10 fuel in their bikes.  FZ-07/MT-07 owners, its a different story, there should be plenty of those here. 

(just a fun side fact, Ethanol blended fuels have less energy per liter, so you would get slightly less MPG and HP out of your engine)

When you get your bike, just run the thing and see how it behaves on regular 87 octane.  The CP2 engine is not a high performance engine it *should* be ok on regular. 
Checking a few places online, the MT-07 (motorcycle.com for example) states that the MT-07 runs on "regular" 

Tazmool

Always use 98 or higher in UK...for all the bikes I have had .. if it does make a difference is debatable but it has a better octane ratio and could give me that extra 1 hp to carry my fat a...s around 🙂 😄 

• Premium Member

Contrary to common belief, using higher octane fuel than the engine is designed for, does nothing for performance, if anything it may slightly lower it as fuels with higher octane ratings have a slightly lower energy content (btu/liter) due to more additives to increase the octane rating.  Also the flame front speed is reduced (auto deotnation resistance is octane rating, another effect of higher octane rating is a slower more even flame front), retarding the timing slightly (again, reducing efficiencty & power).

There are a few exceptions, 
For example in countries where ethanol blended fuels are used, regular fuel usually has 10-15% ethanol blended (which lowers its energy content) and switching to a higher octane fuel (which at some gas stations will not have any ethanol blended in) will then slightly improve hp and efficiency.   However, if the higher octane fuel is also e10 or e15, it will again do nothing to improve performance. 

Also, if there is something wrong with the engine (carbon buildup, causing hot spots or higher than normal compression ratio) or the fuel itself is degraded, causing the engine to knock on regular fuel, switching to a higher octane fuel will improve efficiency and performance. 

Its a good idea to check and see how the engine performs on your local fuel.  If it runs just fine under all conditions on regular, then you are getting the best bang for your buck (pun intended)  you're getting the best performance and ironically its the cheapest fuel.   If the engine does knock or ping (usually under pretty heavy load) then switching to a higher octane is recomended (you don't have to to to the top, just find out what your bike likes)  

Hope this helps

Tazmool

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 4:13 AM, Tazmool said:

E10 fuel is 10% ethanol, I'm pretty sure in Europe there is no ethanol in their fuel,

Here in the Netherlands (I expect a European law, but not sure) 10% ethanol is mandatory to reduce dependency on fossil fuels . 5% ethanol is also still available for older cars. But there definately is Ethanol in the fuel.

I'm also very interested in performance with low-grade fuels. I have had "80" fuel and less in the Tenere 660 in the Stans without too much issue. Wether the T7 likes that...

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Did anyone find what RON could/should be run with the T7? The Swedish/German manual says 90 RON is ok. But the Finnish and Canadian one calls for 95 RON ?

Edited by SamiNami

Maybe because Finland and Canada have colder climates?
Sweden can be cold too but being OK is not the same as recommended.
Here in the Netherlands we have 95 and 98 and i fuel up in Germany mostly as i live at the border and pass a petrol station within a km out of the way from work to home. In Germany i also only see 95 or 98 or 100 for the V-Power which in the Netherlands is 97.
For me it's more a choice between ethanol content, in the Netherlands and Belgium (also close to Belgium) i put 98 in because that has 0 to 5% ethanol and the 95 has 10% and ethanol is crap. In Germany most stations have the 95 in E5 and E10 so there i fill up with 95E5.
On my trips i try to get e5 or less and the known big brands but i get away from the main routes and then i say bad fuel is better than no fuel.

Here in Oz I only use 95 or 98 RON. I wouldn't touch the Shet with ethanol. Have a look at brass components after leaving ( accidently ) E10 in a carby.

Here in Oz all bowsers with E5 or E10 have a warning " not to be used in outboard motors or aircraft". What does that tell you?

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

I normally run 89 octane.  If I’m out in the middle of no where, I run 87 octane.  This is in my FJR and T7.   
The yz250fx always gets non-ethanol 92 octane.  

From the manual for my U.S. bike, minimum (R+M)/2 octane rating is 86 and it's always been fine on a steady diet of 87 octane.

20220322_091835.jpg.597ec8ba8606b7af74d3e602d7f37c8e.jpg

• Like 3

The old leaded 4 star was 97-99 Ron, and I wouldn’t use anything less if possible (most petrol stations only have 95) in my old Xt. But the 95 Ron 10% is fine for the t7. Still put premium 98 in if it’s available though. Haven’t seen 91 since the mid 90’s. That’s only one step above coal. 

18 minutes ago, Dougie said:

95 Ron 10% is fine for the t7

In the manual it says E10 is "acceptable" but i wouldn't run it if unless i don't have another option because in the long term it will damage your bike.
When first introduced the Germans where one of the first to change the E5 to E10 but even though the government obligated E10 that same government forbid E10 in any state vehicle. BMW told the customers a long time to avoid E10 but in the end the short sighted environmental terrorist won and every manufacturer will say it's OK to prevent customers buying from the competition.
7% is the turning point, below is just fine but above only when used once in a while. Just like a sweet or greasy treat once in a while won't be an health issue but keep eating like that will give you diabetes or heart disease.

my dealer recommends e5 [thats 98 in eu] as e 10  leaves more residue inside as it burns colder.  thy see more damage in falves and piston ring's because of this.

also i generaly get better milage/ kilometers if i get e5 instead of e10        e quite literaly stands for ethanol % wise.

so its up to you what you deem to be better.

difference in eu / american  :

[eddited the small error pointed out.]

Edited by CoreCass

1 hour ago, CoreCass said:

my dealer recommends e5 [thats 95 in eu]

I think you're had too much eggnog already. You live in the same country as me and here in the Netherlands as well as in Belgium all 95 is E10, the 98 premiums are mostly E0 even though the sticker says E5 because it's allowed to put up to 5% into the 98 and there are no stickers with E0. A few petrol stations also have a "regular"98 (not the V-power which is 97 in the Netherlands and 100 in Germany or the premium versions of the other brands) and these do have 3 to 5% ethanol.
I guess the governments don't want us to know there is petrol without that crap and most people will think that 5 or 10 is not that much of a difference and/or notice that what they pay less on E10 they will burn extra.
In Germany you have a choice in 95 at most petrol stations between E5 and E10.

2 hours ago, Ray Ride4life said:

I think you're had too much eggnog already. You live in the same country as me and here in the Netherlands as well as in Belgium all 95 is E10, the 98 premiums are mostly E0 even though the sticker says E5 because it's allowed to put up to 5% into the 98 and there are no stickers with E0. A few petrol stations also have a "regular"98 (not the V-power which is 97 in the Netherlands and 100 in Germany or the premium versions of the other brands) and these do have 3 to 5% ethanol.
I guess the governments don't want us to know there is petrol without that crap and most people will think that 5 or 10 is not that much of a difference and/or notice that what they pay less on E10 they will burn extra.
In Germany you have a choice in 95 at most petrol stations between E5 and E10.

eggnogg or rum.. one of the 2..  i forgot what e5 used to be 😛

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad to see this thread. My dealer told me to run premium here in the US and I have for 3000 miles now but next fill up I'm going to 87 and see if there's a difference. It's not a lot of money, maybe a cup of coffee every fill, but why throw it away if unnecessary? I have no idea why the dealer said to use premium if it is not necessary and contrary to the manual.

@Husafreak Don't forget to check fuel consumption too and not the first filling but after 2 tanks a couple times.
Here in the EU we have 95 E10 and in some countries also still E5 (ethanol percentage) and premium E0 but still advertised as E5 (i guess the government don't want us to know there is a version without it).
All modern bikes run just fine on E10 but in the lang term you get problems that will cost you more than you might have saved which is less than you think.
Don't know if something like that is also the case with 87 or premium.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to note that I rode my bike through algeria where the fuel is offically 95 ron, but in reality 91 ron. So the T7 can handle lower ocatane fuel, I did go easy on the throttle tho.

RON 95 octane fuel.  As for E10, I rather piss in the tank than use that.

I live close to the German border and fill up my tank in Germany as much as i can because of the much lower prices.
Luckily i have to take a detour about 1km on my commute to go past a German Shell where i have a member pas i could register on the address of the gas station (service for regular customers) and with that pas a could buy for €99 one year of V-power for the price of E10 so now i use 100 octane V-power. Strangely enough the V-power in the Netherlands is just 97 octane.
Before i used 95 E5, E10 i only use when there is no other option as bad fuel is better than no fuel. When you travel like i do every year in my holidays you have to learn to live with that because i get to places with not too much choice to be picky.