Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Spotlight wiring

sunndog

Evening folks

Just trying to save myself a bit of time tomorrow stripping the bike down.

Where abouts are you lot picking up the main beam/hi beam wire to splice your spotlights in?

I had the headlight off when I first the bike and don't remember much spare wire hanging about to splice into so thinking folks must be tapping in somewhere else

Cheers

FYI, what your wanting to do to the T7 is  not that easy.  The T7 uses a canbus system and you just cant strip back wires and use them to trip a relay.  ECU's are expensive.  

The best and easiest thing to purchase is the Skene IQ-275X.   Sold from Cyclops.  This allows your high-beam switch to activate the aftermarket lights.  The lights can also be used as daytime running lights.    Reach out to Cyclops to make sure your lights are compatible. 

Fecking canbus 

Cheers fella that never even entered my head! 

I wasn't intending for it to trip a relay I was just gonna splice the led spots into the same circuit as I've done a ton of times for the last decade or so ....and then I go and buy a modern bike 🙄

Yea I run into this issue too. Decided to keep it simple and just fitted another switch that trips a relay to bring on spots.  Might look iffy but is surprisingly easy to use!

20221106_145604.jpg

20221106_145619.jpg

20221107_151233.jpg

Just hot glued to top of switch cluster.  Since trimmed excess off. Very simple and easy to click on and off while riding. 

7 minutes ago, Redbikejohn said:

Just hot glued to top of switch cluster.  Since trimmed excess off. Very simple and easy to click on and off while riding. 

But do the spotties go off when you dip to low beam?

In Oz they can't be wired to just run off an independent switch.

I thought about fitting a pair but the Oz monopoly money ups the price of the Skene a bit too much.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

No its just the switch. I don't use the main beam (these lights make them redundant) so its just the same as flicking the light from full to dip. 

• Like 2

Cheers John. I have got a handle bar mount switch in the bits box.

There must surely be a solution without spending £200 on a box of tricks just to run spotlights. I'll investigate 

3 hours ago, Mapbook said:

Not yet, got to fit it soon. 

I'll wait for feedback then 😁

Us us know how you get on please mate 👍 

@sunndog so you're trying to get the spotlights to turn on when the hi-beam is on and turn them off when the hi-beam is off?

I did this by tapping into one a pair of wires at the headlight connector and to drive a relay, which is basically what the Denali product is. You can follow their wiring guide and use a standard automotive relay instead by tapping the yellow and brown wires to pins 85 and 86 (the coil) on a relay. I think the voltage is high when the hi-beam off, but I don't remember exactly. I need to take some stuff apart, so I can take a look at my setup and let you know if you want.

Edited by random1781
  • Thanks 1

advgoats.com

26 minutes ago, random1781 said:

@sunndog so you're trying to get the spotlights to turn on when the hi-beam is on and turn them off when the hi-beam is off?

I did this by tapping into one a pair of wires at the headlight connector and to drive a relay, which is basically what the Denali product is. You can follow their wiring guide and use a standard automotive relay instead by tapping the yellow and brown wires to pins 85 and 86 (the coil) on a relay. I think the voltage is high when the hi-beam off, but I don't remember exactly. I need to take some stuff apart, so I can take a look at my setup and let you know if you want.

Yeah please do mate. The more info the better for for everyone

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2020 model. I have a light bar and fog lights. For your spot lights only, remove the side panel that has the front right indicator mounted to it. Find the yellow wire, carefully remove some of the insulation at a convenient location and solder a bit of wire to it. Mount a standard relay and a light switch in a position of your choice. Connect one side of the switch to earth and the other to 85 or 86 at the relay (coil). Connect your newly installed (yellow) wire to the other(ie-85 or 86). Now two things have to happen for the relay to work, light switch on and high beam on. If either is not on, relay won’t work. Run a fused (recommended) wire to terminal 30 and connect 87 to your properly earthed lights. 
I did it slightly differently to power my fog lights and light bar. I used just the one switch and an extra change over relay (ie terminal 87 and 87a). Let me know if you need that info. 

9 hours ago, ninot7 said:

would strongly recommend the healtech Thunderbox. It's absolutely brilliant!

I second the thunderbox.  Excellent product for the T7.