Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

How long before Spark Plug change?

ninot7

Question

How long are folk keeping their spark plugs before changing them? I know the manual say 12k miles, but heard loads saying the plugs are fine for double of that. What's the consensus (outside the recommended interval)? Not too excited to take the bars and tanks off my WR if i can wait a bit. 

Cheers.

7 answers to this question

I'm at 18500 miles so far with no issues. I changed my plugs on my 1200 tenere at 36000 miles when I did my 1st and only valve check? My valves were perfect.

I don't ride hard so expect my T7 to be the same.

• Like 2

Changed mine 16000 miles, they were in good condition but i did notice the bike ran smoother after.

You get a gradual degrading in performance as the mileage increases but i will try for 20000 miles this time simply because it's a PITA to get to the plugs.  

• Like 1

Mine showed visible wear when I replaced them at 16,000 miles.  They're not that hard to do with the proper tools 20-30 minutes to replace. 

Im at 20k miles now and my bike is running fine. I have 2 spark plugs in the garage, just got to get the motivation to do it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jesse said:

Mine showed visible wear when I replaced them at 16,000 miles.  They're not that hard to do with the proper tools 20-30 minutes to replace. 

Bigger job on the WR. 
as mentioned already, need the motivation. 

because of a looong journey changed mine first time after 60000km 🙂  was still running fine, electrodes were burned down quite a lot, maybe a gap of ~1,1mm

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Replaced mine at 15.000km. Around 30 minutes from start to finish. Standard model, not WR.