Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

820 pounds with me on board !

NeilW

I took my really loaded up T7 to a trash dump weigh scale. With me on board the scale said 820 pounds. When I got home I weighed myself with all the gear I had on at 227. 
that means my T7 with 1/2 gas weighs 593. 
It is loaded with tools, tubes 22oz water. All the single day stuff I carry for and all day on and off road ride. No camping gear. 
I don’t do single tracks or boulder terrain. For forest gravel  and two tracks the weight is not noticeable. 
cruising the freeway for hours to get to adv riding, the extra weight really smooths out the ride- that and one extra tooth on the front sprocket. IMG_8346.jpeg.7dc1510901dc5741e868aecb29148422.jpegIMG_7859.jpeg.436faa7274f76d7ea6f0ad905f8a4158.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice breakdown! I never got around to weighing the bike with everything on it, but I did weigh or spec out everything strapped/bolted/sitting on the bike, and assuming the spec weight of 453, I come out to be almost exactly the same weight at 827. I do take it through rockier stuff, but other than some dented rims, it holds up really well.

• Like 2

advgoats.com

This is really getting me to rethink getting a T7. While it's much easier to push around and feels lighter to ride (compared to my Super Tenere), it is still a heavy bike for off road. Sure is easy to load these bikes down with gear to make them much heavier than stock. 

Thank you for sharing Neil.

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, olliechristophe said:

This is really getting me to rethink getting a T7. While it's much easier to push around and feels lighter to ride (compared to my Super Tenere), it is still a heavy bike for off road. Sure is easy to load these bikes down with gear to make them much heavier than stock. 

I too was shocked at at those weights, but I'm currently working on diets for both my T7 and Beta dirtbike.   Weight creep is insidious and throwing it on a scale occasionally is a good reality check to decide if that latest accessory is absolutely necessary. 

The best advice I can give is I ride my T7 with the mentality that it's a " Dirt Road" bike, not a Dirtbike.   If the road I'm on turns into a trail or gets too challenging,  I'm not afraid to turn around and return with the Beta to finish the job.

• Like 3

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 minute ago, AZJW said:

I too was shocked at at those weights, but I'm currently working on diets for both my T7 and Beta dirtbike.   Weight creep is insidious and throwing it on a scale occasionally is a good reality check to decide if that latest accessory is absolutely necessary. 

The best advice I can give is I ride my T7 with the mentality that it's a " Dirt Road" bike, not a Dirtbike.   If the road I'm on turns into a trail or gets too challenging,  I'm not afraid to turn around and return with the Beta to finish the job.

Absolutely!! I have 2 setups for my Beta and Super Tenere:

Day ride light:

deathvalleydunespaddle.jpeg.f8ca6d258cd72516aa5fccdebd1e37b5.jpegIMG_2958.jpeg.4f7ceb8151909789bc4c6405c2b481ea.jpegP6140043.jpeg.00eef5f0c29ff59fb795dae6085bed21.jpeg

Multi day heavy:

P2250176_zpsficthajv.webp.dd72ed4bdb7ace7027cbbcf3721f05ac.webpP7250054.jpeg.d9c152087cb2240e6d30ad734054103e.jpeg100_0024.jpeg.9e8c4cbebb52bd00d4610118024a8b61.jpeg

• Like 1

This thread got me to weigh my T7 in ready for day ride configuration.  Total weight was 514 lbs (234 kilos) with a full tank of gas, tools and a bunch of stuff in my tank bag.

I'll unload the gear and weigh it separately later and post to this thread along with info on how the bike has been modded.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators

Same here. Just weighed mine with full fuel, Camel Rally Exhaust, Gut Guard, The Fix,  RallyRaid side & tail racks, Dirtnapper, tool tube & tools. 497.2 lbs. Time to reevaluate what I'm carrying,  but I felt better not knowing how heavy the big girl really is!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

6 hours ago, olliechristophe said:

My issue with the weight is strictly a fear of lifting alone. 
even though I have the Eastbound MotoWinch and have practiced with it, turning off a gravel road onto a two track is something I  avoid solo, but don’t want to avoid. The weight while moving is a non issue for me in light technical but since I can’t plant both feet in a rut situation I know it’s going over. 
I dropped it 10x the first year and none the second. I about tore my shoulder in an off camber parking lot trying to keep it from tipping over with me beside it. I should have let it drop and picked it up- would have been more “controlled “. Doing a 400 mile day with a mix of freeway, highway, paved twisties, gravel forest roads, it is phenomenal if not dropped…..at 71 my confidence level for getting myself out of situations is waning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm with you Neil. At 62 I'm carrying my Eastbound MotoWinch full time on my Super Tenere. I've had to lift it off the ground more than once and it's an injury waiting to happen!!

One of the 70+ year old ex offroad racers in our dual sport club said the hell with it and bought a new KTM 300 Hard Enduro and is getting it plated. This may seem odd to some of the guys here but I'm thinking the same deal. 

3002T 's are very light and easy to lift off the ground and ride off road. 

2 minutes ago, olliechristophe said:

I'm with you Neil. At 62 I'm carrying my Eastbound MotoWinch full time on my Super Tenere. I've had to lift it off the ground more than once and it's an injury waiting to happen!!

One of the 70+ year old ex offroad racers in our dual sport club said the hell with it and bought a new KTM 300 Hard Enduro and is getting it plated. This may seem odd to some of the guys here but I'm thinking the same deal. 

3002T 's are very light and easy to lift off the ground and ride off road. 

Not so odd. This is a project bike for me to use to write reviews for many many products. I have gone as far as I feel I can adding “stuff” to my T7. It is comfortable on long days in the saddle (11 hours most recently) and has all the creature comforts I could find to review. But like your friend, I am seriously looking at starting over with an under 300# bike. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, NeilW said:

It is comfortable on long days in the saddle (11 hours most recently) and has all the creature comforts I could find to review.

For sure!! I have my Super Tenere set up for comfortable long days in the saddle as well.

I know from experience long before the BDR craze that some of those 2 track dirt roads can get really ugly on a heavy bike. Deep sand, mud and rocks for us average novice riders is difficult at best and a hard pass at worse. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2023 at 7:53 PM, NeilW said:

cruising the freeway for hours to get to adv riding, the extra weight really smooths out the ride- that and one extra tooth on the front sprocket. IMG_7859.jpeg.436faa7274f76d7ea6f0ad905f8a4158.jpeg

Wow that seat looks comfy!

What is that?

My skinny butt forces me to stand too much... even though I customized the rally seat already

3 hours ago, dzoltan82 said:

Wow that seat looks comfy!

What is that?

My skinny butt forces me to stand too much... even though I customized the rally seat already

@dzoltan82 That is the DIY kit Sport touring from Seat Concepts.  it is 13" across at the widest and IS that comfortable. The stock seat at the widest is 7" across where your butt sits.

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2023 at 9:49 AM, Hollybrook said:

This thread got me to weigh my T7 in ready for day ride configuration.  Total weight was 514 lbs (234 kilos) with a full tank of gas, tools and a bunch of stuff in my tank bag.

I'll unload the gear and weigh it separately later and post to this thread along with info on how the bike has been modded.

The following mods have been made to my bike, resulting in a 44lb increase in weight (452lbs to 496lbs wet):

Skid plate - CamelADV
Front fender extension - Pyramid
Crash guards - Hepco-Becker - lower only
Chain guide - Acerbis
CamelADV the Fix brake pedal w/ Lowered pad
Hand protectors - Barkbusters
Center stand - Hepco-Becker
Tail tidy - CamelADV
Foot pegs - Bosley 30mm down, 20mm back
Fork cartridges - Rally Raid open cartridge
Shock - Rally Raid Extreme
Steering stabilizer - Scott w/ triple clamp mount
Rear rack - CamelADV
Side luggage racks - Adventure Spec
Exhaust - CamelADV enduro bend
Flash - 2WDW
O2 sensor disconnect
Clutch extension - CamelADV
Air cleaner - remove snorkel and add Twin Air pre-filter
SAE connector under seat
USB ports in tankbag
Heated clothing port on side panel
Heated gear connector in tankbag
Heated grips - Koso
GPS - Zumo XT2 w/ Motopumps mount
Anti-bobble - CamelADV
Seat - Yamaha rally
Throttle lock - Kaoko
Turn signals - Amazon
Frame guards - Acerbis

Gear that I am carrying for all rides:

image.png.abf6794fae33031a12c4e1d9436cc85b.png

I'd be happy to elaborate on any of this stuff if there are questions or comments.  It has taken a few iterations to get here and I will soon  be switching to an Acerbis tank and CamelADV side panels, along with any other mods necessary for these changes.

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 2

On 11/19/2023 at 6:36 AM, olliechristophe said:

I owned a ‘21 T7 for 21000 miles/2.5 years and have owned several S10s (currently own a ‘23 S10 ES).  I thought my S10 was much more nimble at low speeds……the T7 is and always felt super top heavy and cumbersome to me.  I loved the T7 engine, but didn’t think much of the bike in general.  IMHO……others swear by the T7.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whisperquiet said:

I owned a ‘21 T7 for 21000 miles/2.5 years and have owned several S10s (currently own a ‘23 S10 ES).  I thought my S10 was much more nimble at low speeds……the T7 is and always felt super top heavy and cumbersome to me.  I loved the T7 engine, but didn’t think much of the bike in general.  IMHO……others swear by the T7.

The way I ride my T7 now I have no issues with riding it at any speeds. Its the picking it up that bothers me. I stopped riding single track with ruts in the first month I had it. anywhere else, on any terrain , baby heads, up hill, down hill, dirt, gravel, street, rain, light mud are all non issues for me. 

• Like 3

On 11/19/2023 at 5:13 AM, AZJW said:

This is perfect!!  Just at @AZJW said, " it's a " Dirt Road" bike, not a Dirtbike.   

Except for Pol,  that guy is an animal!

Edited by Redneckj
  • Like 2