Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Won’t shift into first

Tenere Vols

Hey guys. This is my first post.  I just bought a 2021 Tenere 700 with 16,000 miles.  I love everything about it except shifting into first gear. The shifting from first through sixth is very smooth. It is the same from 6th down to 2nd. The problem is going from 2nd to 1st. A normal or harder than normal downshift stops in neutral.  Even multiple tries.  I have to give it a hard kick down to first.  I have 35 years of riding and racing experience so I know how to shift properly.  This is definitely not normal.  Clutch free play seems good. I changed the oil with synthetic and lubed the shift linkage but did not get any positive results.  I’m wondering if the chain is too tight.  I will add some slack and try it again in the next day or two.  Has anyone had a similar experience?  Thanks in advance.

I may have found the issue. After a second round of lubing the shift linkage, I noticed the shifter is loose. It’s making a mark on the skid plate. I think it’s hitting the skid plate and shortening the throw. It moves enough for all gears except 1st. I’ll tighten that up and see what it does. 

Edited by Tenere Vols
  • Like 1

Skid plate is preventing shifting into 1st gear. Need to tighten skid plate to allow shifter to clear skid plate. 

It wasn’t the skid plate. The previous owner had swapped the shifter. Not sure if he used the wrong washer or if it just had a lot of slop in the shifter, but the shifter had a lot of lateral movement. I swapped the washer for a thicker one. Now it stays straight. Too wet and dark to go for a ride. I’ll report back when I get a chance to ride. It may be a while before that happens. 

Edited by Tenere Vols
  • Like 2

Took it out for a ride today and shifting was perfect. So the loose shifter hitting the skid plate was the culprit. Just for reference, the shifter looks like a Touratech or a Chinese knockoff and the skid plate is an Alt Rider. 

Edited by Tenere Vols
  • Like 2

Well done in nutting your problem out.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Thanks for the detailed posting Vols, it gives us all a head start if we encounter the same problem.  Shame there isn't a tech section where such posts can be copied to for future reference.

I felt my 2021 had an excessive amount of travel so I shortened the travel by drilling & tapping new attachment point 1.0 " from C/L of shift shaft.

IMG_1746.JPG