Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

New to Riding

10erRay7

Hey all,

i just picked up my first bike ever and have had so much fun riding and learning. Wanted to say thanks to everyone that has posted on this forum as it’s been helpful for looking into mods, complaints (very few) and helpful tips. 

Hope to keep learning from you seasoned riders and again, thanks!

• Like 1

well welcome! congrats on your first moto - it's a lot of motorcycle, for a first. so, enjoy, safely 

Welcome aboard! My T7 is also my first motorcycle ever - so far, no regrets!

Ride safe!

Welcome to the world of motorcycles, motorcycling and adventure riding! Hope you progress along from tarmac to gravel to trails and have lots of fun learning along the way! 🙂

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

• Moderators

Welcome from Arizona.  If you're so inclined,  being new to riding, you might want to consider some off road training.  I don't think anyone here would argue that being a better off road rider makes you a better & safer street rider. 

• Like 3

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Thanks everyone,

anyone know of a good off road school to take? I’m in California (Bay Area) and would love to find a good training course to take. YouTube can only take you so far lol 

13 minutes ago, 10erRay7 said:

Thanks everyone,

anyone know of a good off road school to take? I’m in California (Bay Area) and would love to find a good training course to take. YouTube can only take you so far lol 

Find ones that let you use their dirt bikes. It will make learning off-road skills much easier! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 10erRay7 said:

Thanks everyone,

I think Sedlak Offroad School might not be too far from you. Only know this guy from his YT vids, but he seems to be really good (former Dakar racer). And he rides a T7!

• Like 1

• Moderators

@10erRay7 Full disclosure,  I was an active MSF Rider Coach for 10 years and trained mainly street riders, but did dabble in the occasional off road courses.  I have not taken any of the courses I'm listing, have no knowledge of them other than what I've read/ heard so take this advice as worth what you paid for it. 😉

1st choice

2nd choice

41K Followers, 2,546 Following, 646 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Jocelin Snow (@jocelinsnow)

3rd choice

Adventure Motorcycle Trainings, Tours and Special Events.

Good luck and report back what you end up doing and a review of the training would be helpful to others.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I did one day of dirt biking a year ago which is what got me hooked on two wheels. Once I find a course I’ll definitely report back what I thought of it. Thanks for the suggestions! 

• Like 1

All you need to know about off road riding.

"If in doubt throttle it out"

AKA, seeend ittttt! 

Job done 😁

Edited by sunndog
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, AZJW said:

@10erRay7 Full disclosure,  I was an active MSF Rider Coach for 10 years and trained mainly street riders, but did dabble in the occasional off road courses.  I have not taken any of the courses I'm listing, have no knowledge of them other than what I've read/ heard so take this advice as worth what you paid for it. 😉

1st choice

This!! It's the very best of the best training. Old school life saving safety drills to practice when you get back home. It was the best modification ever. BTW either rent one of his dirt bikes or bring a lightweight one of your own. Class is not ADV bike friendly!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was going to ask some gear questions but I think I’ll explore all the past threads first before I ask some dumb questions lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 10erRay7 said:

Was going to ask some gear questions but I think I’ll explore all the past threads first before I ask some dumb questions lol

The search function here is actually really good 👍

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 10erRay7 said:

If you have road riding gear it will work off road too 👍

I would say get you some proper boots but otherwise don't get too hung up before starting out. 

If budget is tight See if there's some used mx boots on ebay or something in your size then just grab em worry later.

Might be a bit cold where you are but a $20 pair of mechanix mpact gloves are about the best dirt glove you can  get

• Like 1