Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

How do I wire fog lights?

Chasingpro

I am a new tenere owner, I have scoured the internet for clear instructions on how to wire auxiliary lights and what I need to get the job done. I am buying the diode dynamics ss2 pod lights and mounting them to my crash bars. What harness/connectors do I buy to wire them so that when the ignition is off they can’t turn on. Also, which waterproof on/off switch do I chose?

Very new to this. I just want to make sure I’m getting the right stuff. 

48 minutes ago, Chasingpro said:

I am a new tenere owner, I have scoured the internet for clear instructions on how to wire auxiliary lights and what I need to get the job done. I am buying the diode dynamics ss2 pod lights and mounting them to my crash bars. What harness/connectors do I buy to wire them so that when the ignition is off they can’t turn on. Also, which waterproof on/off switch do I chose?

Very new to this. I just want to make sure I’m getting the right stuff. 

Order this.  NO extra switches, just use your factory high beam switch.   Your aftermarket lights can be programmed either off or in 10% increments while the low beams are on but when your high beams are on, then your aftermarket lights come on 100%,  

• Like 1

If You are not 100% sure what You are dealing with, I suggest taking the bike to a certified mechanix. The headlight and ECU are expensive parts to replace after a faulty connection. You can find some of those from this forum.

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

Redneckj's  recommendation of a Skene controller is a good one & the T7 requires a special one (275X) because of how the high beam is wired...details available on my blog here (scroll down near the end for details on which oem switched power to use & wiring the Skene 275X).  The Tenere 700 uses inverted high beam polarity (many oem LED headlights use voltage drop to activate the high beam portion of the headlight)...some attempting DYI installation have damaged their ecu by incorrectly wiring auxiliary lighting, switches & relays following conventional norms...if you are unaware of the nuances of the circuitry used on your bike or the task is overly daunting seek professional advice/installation....mistakes can be costly!  

Edited by prowlnS10

Skene also has another version that works with the T7 that has additional features, including a conspicuity flicker of DRL.  The IQ-375 is a bit more expensive, but after losing a riding buddy to an oncoming truck that turned into him, I am working on making my bike more noticeable to other motorists.  Once mine arrives, I will try to write something up.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

Skene also has another version that works with the T7 that has additional features, including a conspicuity flicker of DRL.  The IQ-375 is a bit more expensive, but after losing a riding buddy to an oncoming truck that turned into him, I am working on making my bike more noticeable to other motorists.  Once mine arrives, I will try to write something up.

Skene controllers are great with programmable features that can be turned off/on...the IQ-375 is a 4 channel controller  designed for leds running halo rings that can be used for blinkers & running lights or for 4 individual aux lights when 1 set is the primary & the other as a drl/blinker...more or less combining the functions of the IQ-250/260 series with the IQ-275 series.  For increased conspicuity I also installed Skene's IQ-250T with their Photon Blasters to compliment my Cyclops 3.0 Multifunction 3.0 turn signals (Cyclops owns Skene) , full details & wiring info can be viewed here. Since adding the additional lighting my bike now gets way more recognition from others on the road.

• Like 1