Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Bent steering head lower bracket.

Sulli

I was involved in an off-road accident back in September.  I am finally able to take a look at my bike to review the damage.  I believe the lower bracket of the steering head assembly is bent.  I have removed the forks and as far as I can see they appear to be straight.  When the forks are inserted through the lower and upper brackets, they are clearly out of alignment (I will include a photo).  Also, I am not able to get the left fork reseated back in the upper clamp, this makes me suspicious the lower bracket is out of alignment.  Any thoughts on what else could be out of alignment before I order a new lower bracket?

20231207_170925.jpg

20231207_170920.jpg

It is misalignment between the top and bottom triple clamps.

With the wheel installed loosen the top steering stem nut on top of the top triple clamp, the fork clamps, and the axle pinch bolts.

Align everything and lightly nip all bolts.

Check again.

If happy then tighten fork clamps and top nut.

Bounce the front end a few times to settle the axle then tighten the pinch bolts.

I doubt if it is a bent triple clamp.

Keep us posted.

Edited by Rider 101
spelling
  • Like 3

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

1 hour ago, Rider 101 said:

It is misalignment between the top and bottom triple clamps.

With the wheel installed loosen the top steering stem nut on top of the top triple clamp, the fork clamps, and the axle pinch bolts.

Align everything and lightly nip all bolts.

Check again.

If happy then tighten fork clamps and top nut.

Bounce the front end a few times to settle the axle then tighten the pinch bolts.

I doubt if it is a bent triple clamp.

Keep us posted.

+1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sulli said:

Unfortunately, I tried all of the above before removing the wheel.

Put the wheel back in and go through the process.

With everything lightly nipped up put the wheel against a solid post or door frame and push the handlebars to bring everything back in alignment.

I would be extremely surprised if the cast aluminium triple clamp is bent.

If it is I would expect to see some serious damage to the fork leg.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rider 101 said:

Put the wheel back in and go through the process.

With everything lightly nipped up put the wheel against a solid post or door frame and push the handlebars to bring everything back in alignment.

I would be extremely surprised if the cast aluminium triple clamp is bent.

If it is I would expect to see some serious damage to the fork leg.

I agree - bending of the triple clamps should be accompanied by severe damages on the fork legs.

I'd also loosen everything and try to reinsert the fork legs, then the wheel and axle. Pushing down on the bar should align everything so the fork legs run parallel again.

But if you can't reinsert the fork leg after loosening the steering head bolt, I suspect your first assumption might be true.

• Like 1

And compressing the forks individually while they're off will give you a quick sanity check. At that point might as well remove the triples and inspect them visually and maybe dry fit the forks while they're off. It's much easier to see the issue when you remove the clutter. I'd start reassembling by inserting the left fork first.

• Like 2

advgoats.com

I will try the process again.  However, I had already loosened everything and attempted to straighten by striking my wheel against a wooden stationary object to no effect (have done this multiple times on many other bikes with success).  If I can get the forks back in I will go through the whole process again.  I will update you.  thank you for the responses.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sulli said:

I will try the process again.  However, I had already loosened everything and attempted to straighten by striking my wheel against a wooden stationary object to no effect (have done this multiple times on many other bikes with success).  If I can get the forks back in I will go through the whole process again.  I will update you.  thank you for the responses.

Sounds like you know what you're doing - maybe removing the triple clamps as suggested by @random1781 might allow you to narrow down the problem.

• Like 1

At this point, I will try most suggestions again, as they always make you second guess yourself.  Plus Partzilla's price for a lower bracket is $360, I will try one more time before I bite the bullet.

• Like 2

Just now, Sulli said:

At this point, I will try most suggestions again, as they always make you second guess yourself.  Plus Partzilla's price for a lower bracket is $360, I will try one more time before I bite the bullet.

Might as well just upgrade to 48mm forks....

advgoats.com

Ye....no.  Massive cost difference.  Why?  Very happy with the T7 with stock front end

I replaced the forks and wheel.  with everything loose including the steering stem nut, I can lock the wheel between my legs and then with force straighten the bars, however as soon as I release the pressure the bars and wheel misalign and one fork moves in front of the other.  I believe I have loosened everything that needs to be loosened.  I have not touched the ring nuts.  I am assuming the lower steering bracket must be bent, any other thoughts?

• Sad 1

I would now be looking at the forks.

You could have a slight bend in one.

Time to check them and maybe do a service at the same time.

The triple clamps are robust and I doubt they would bend.

• Like 1

You can confirm if it’s the fork or triple, by turning the forks in the triples. If the forks are bent then the angle mismatch between them will change as you rotate them in the triple clamp. If you don’t see a change as you turn them in the mismatch then it’s the triple clamp. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pretty sure it's the lower triple clamp, pulled it out, and placed it on a flat surface, when one side sits flush to a flat surface the other does not.

20231208_165951.jpg

20231208_165955.jpg

20231208_170018.jpg

• Like 3

I would never have picked a casting would bend like that.

You may be able to press it flat but I would be looking at replacing it.

Just looking at a parts list and it looks like it is supplied complete ie top, bottom, and steering stem

Shop online for OEM Front Fork parts that fit your 2021 Yamaha TENERE 700 (XTZ7MB), search all our OEM Parts or call at (231)737-4542

Edited by Rider 101
remove top

3 hours ago, Sulli said:

Pretty sure it's the lower triple clamp, pulled it out, and placed it on a flat surface, when one side sits flush to a flat surface the other does not.

20231208_165951.jpg

20231208_165955.jpg

20231208_170018.jpg

So your first assumption turned out to be true! I also had never thought the triple clamp would give way before anything down low gets damaged. Hope the latter isn't the case, too.

Did you check the upper clamp as well?

• Like 3

I have not removed the upper clamp, it is still attached to cables.  I will try and check to see if it's level while it's still connected to the bike.  Wheel appears to be true and the forks look straight, so I hope that's the extent of the damage.  New lower clamp has been ordered.

Edited by Sulli
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Sulli said:

I have not removed the upper clamp, it is still attached to cables.  I will try and check to see if it's level while it's still connected to the bike.  Wheel appears to be true and the forks look straight, so I hope that's the extent of the damage.  New lower clamp has been ordered.

That really is surprising...how do the bearings look?

advgoats.com

The bearings look okay and seem to operate smoothly. I have managed to rest the upper clamp on a flat piece of wood while the ignition cables are connected and it seems to be symmetrical.

• Like 3

Just out of interest how much other damage has the bike suffered?

And more importantly, what about you?

• Like 1

Some cracks in the plastics and the windshield protector, not too bad, seem mostly cosmetic (unless I find something else!).  I suffered 8 rib fractures, a comminuted scapula fracture, a displaced clavicle fracture, hemopneumothorax, and a liver laceration.  Due to the injuries, I have only now been able to work on the bike.  Can't wait to get it back up and running gain.

• Sad 4

Wow! You did a good one.

What the hell happened?

I realise things happen in a split second and hindsight is 20/20

I had an altercation with a roo a few years back. I had a rescue helicopter ride and a tibial nail to hold my leg together.

I relive the moment over and over.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda!

Take care when you are back up and riding.

For anyone else also wondering what "comminuted" means, google's first definition is "reduced to minute particles or fragments."

Glad you're moving around a bit! I guess at least you have winter to recover?

advgoats.com