Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Open discussion about accessory weight & value

NeilW

This is a great group with lots of good opinions so here is my question:

Do you find your T7 works better for you as a minimalist bike or a fully loaded bike or somewhere in between?

I weighed my bike at 593 pounds with 1/2 a tank of gas. That is roughly 133 pounds  (60kg)  of accessories !

My T7 is an all day comfortable bike, graded fire roads, highways and freeways. It is set up, for me and my "adventure riding" perfectly.

My adv riding is graded fire roads for long distances and highways and freeways to get to those graded fire roads.

In 10,000 miles I have only hit the  skid plate 1x and that was on a single track that I will NEVER be riding again ( I am 71)

If I crash or am crashed into, my handguards and saddlebags take the hit. I am not riding in rock and boulder territory - on purpose.

I have engine guards - upper and lower, I have a monster skid plate, I have a center stand - those are roughly 40# (18kg)

Taking 40# off would not affect the bike protection or my creature comfort but why take them off if they don't affect my enjoyment of the bike ?

What got me thinking about slimming down is that I just received a lithium battery to review. It is so light.

I could put the OEM skid plate back on and take off the front engine guards.

I know some of you spend a lot of money to slim your T7 down by a few pounds and guys like me pack on the goodies for added creature comfort etc.

What are your thoughts on how your T7 is weighted, up or down from stock?

• Like 2

imo, acceptable weight is how you intend to use the bike.   My use is primarily offroad adventures so I have slowly removed some of the heavier accessories my bike came with like the center stand and the heavy rear rack.  I weighed my bike just this week and came up to 445lbs half tank so i am pretty close to stock weight, even with crashbar and skidplate added to it.  I am lightly built, so I need all the weight I can shed off the bike in order to manhandle it, and also actually be able to pick up the bike myself.   In my case, having all the extra weight gets in the way of me fully enjoying the bike the way I intend to use it.

I do think that 593lbs is a lot, that's BMW GSA heavy, the only difference the GSA is easier to pick and has great weight distribution making it feel like a much lighter bike.  But I am not judging your choices, I am just surprised where all the 133lbs of accessories are?

• Like 1

I too am older, 65 and retired. I basically ride back roads and fire roads. I had a 1200 Tenere that I loaded with accessories and crash protection.

In 75.000 miles I never really had a crash. I fell over a couple of times. Never really hurt anything.

This bike is getting no extra crash protection. Painted stock skid plate with black Rino Liner. Until I give it a good whack, I'm keeping it. I've added

full exhaust, windshield adjuster, grips, brake pedal, shifter linkage, pegs, center stand and plug for heated gear, Lithium battery. I hope the exhaust

and battery help offset weight of center stand. Wish someone would produce a titanium or aluminum center stand!

IMG_1918.JPG

• Like 3

I have the OEM engine guards and centre stand, recently replaced the OEM rear rack (5 kg) and 42 ltr top box (5 kg) and what ever crap i put in it made the bike even more top heavy  all made by Givi and built like a brick Shet house, replaced with Adventure spec rear rack and side racks all made of Aluminium with a lockable case bolted to it made by Lomo similar to Peli but a third of the price so the bike is at least 10 kg lighter and nicer to ride.

The Lomo Centurion dry box is tough and has a comfortable carring handle. These dry boxes are good for keeping phones, cameras and camera equipment in most wet conditions. They are also dust proof and IP67 Waterproof.

Edited by Mapbook
  • Like 1

Wow and I thought my bike at 470 with a full tank was heavy. Installing an aftermarket  exhaust really does shed a lot of weight. I have OEM crashbars, skidplate, trunk mount, and centerstand.

3 hours ago, mcbrien said:

Wish someone would produce a titanium or aluminum center stand!

IMG_1918.JPG

AltRider does!

AltRider Aluminum Center Stand for the Yamaha Tenere 700 - Adventure riding can often require chain maintenance or removal of...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kdeleon said:

imo, acceptable weight is how you intend to use the bike.   My use is primarily offroad adventures so I have slowly removed some of the heavier accessories my bike came with like the center stand and the heavy rear rack.  I weighed my bike just this week and came up to 445lbs half tank so i am pretty close to stock weight, even with crashbar and skidplate added to it.  I am lightly built, so I need all the weight I can shed off the bike in order to manhandle it, and also actually be able to pick up the bike myself.   In my case, having all the extra weight gets in the way of me fully enjoying the bike the way I intend to use it.

My intention is exactly the same: Shed weight for easier handling offroad, especially picking it up. I'm keeping my luggage light and small, and am about to remove my crash bars (I have GB-Racing covers installed as well).

But I don't think I would worry about weight if my riding was similar to yours Neil! From your posts here, I think I know how much you enjoy riding your T7 - this proves how well-suited it is for you! Again we see how versatile our bikes are.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

My intention is exactly the same: Shed weight for easier handling offroad, especially picking it up. I'm keeping my luggage light and small, and am about to remove my crash bars (I have GB-Racing covers installed as well).

But I don't think I would worry about weight if my riding was similar to yours Neil! From your posts here, I think I know how much you enjoy riding your T7 - this proves how well-suited it is for you! Again we see how versatile our bikes are.

Yes. From Pol T to me 🙂 we all find it has a sweet spot. 

• Like 1

Here it is

oem  pannier rack

sw motech upper and lower crash bars

touratech skidplate

SW motech center stdand

Globe scout tail pack and tail rack

What is inside the tail pack is 25#, everything listed is about 10+ pounds each.

Untitled.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mcbrien said:

I mounted a small soft bag to carry daily items. No need for top trunk.

IMG_1911.JPG

IMG_1912.JPG

That one actually looks really good! What brand/model is it please?

Not just on my T7, but I tend to go minimalist on every bike I've ever owned. Having said that, when I bought my T7 lightly used it already had SW Motech crash bars installed so I just left them on there but have debated removal numerous times. The only rationale for removal and sale of the bars would be for weight savings. Even though the bike has been down off-road several times, the only time the bars have contacted the ground was when I had to spin the bike around by the front wheel after a drop while climbing rock steps with a full camping gear load. Not sure if the side fairing would have touched the ground if the bar wasn't there.

SAM_3556.JPG.863b58d744bdc5c8846fb55f849291db.JPGSAM_3549.JPG.697af62d3a07220299440a977cead2a2.JPG   

For all of my day-trip riding with the T7 (most of its usage), I use only a tailbag or a tankbag to hold essentials like different weight gloves, water, snacks, maps, etc. I only install the T7's Rally Raid side racks when needed to mount soft panniers for camping trips, and usually install the BDCW rear rack in place of the rear seat only when needed for the extra length of a duffle bag, etc.  I installed the high, tucked-in Huzar exhaust only to eliminate damaging the OEM muffler during drops, with the Huzar's weight savings a bonus. The added weight of a good skid plate and hand guards for off-road was a necessary evil.

I could never see the point in carrying around empty panniers and/or a top box, which made me a minority in the GS community when I owned my previous R1200GS. I'd installed quick release Givi pannier racks on that bike when I bought it, and the racks and hard or soft bags got installed once or twice a year for multi-day cross-country and/or camping trips. Likewise, I've only installed/used the panniers on my R1200RT once since buying it last year, and I don't believe I've ever seen another 'naked' RT on the road.     

20230318_120534.jpg.3bf7c53c40ffaa1be8cd075dcd5e6dcc.jpg

• Like 3

Regarding crash bars barely touching the ground: Mine did, but only once on each side. If they hadn't been there, it might well have been that the fairings hadn't touched the ground. But on my last drop they definitely absorbed a lot of energy which might otherwise have bent the bars - bike tumbled down sideways a steep slope when I attempted to turn (during an offroad training). I know why I was reluctant trying to turn on a steep slope!

Despite having upper crash bars, I've scratched my right side panel - just because some soft dirt squeezed through the holes and reached the fairing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcbrien said:

I mounted a small soft bag to carry daily items. No need for top trunk.

IMG_1911.JPG

IMG_1912.JPG

More info on that side bag please. How sturdy is the mounting? 

My bike is right around 460 pounds ready to ride with a full tank. Including tank bag and basic tools. 

8 hours ago, NeilW said:

Here it is

oem  pannier rack

sw motech upper and lower crash bars

touratech skidplate

SW motech center stdand

Globe scout tail pack and tail rack

What is inside the tail pack is 25#, everything listed is about 10+ pounds each.

Untitled.jpg

I see where the weight is now.  My camping load out is aroud 40lbs with soft luggage and heavy stuff like water, so am guessing mine is closer to 500lbs on camping adventure trips.    My daily pack is small toolset and tubes, etc.   

Surprisingly the bike performs well on the trail, and it's actually easier to loft the front wheel up with the heavier rear load.  However everytime I ride the bike on pure trail runs (stripped down of camping gear), it reminds me how much easier it is to ride without the weight -- relatively speaking at least.  I have a lighter dual sport bike that keeps things in perspective.

Funny enough, most my dual sport riding friends end up putting their stuff in their luggage that i freed up for me.  I guess that's fine as long as they help me pick the bike up.  LOL.

• Like 3

Bike weight is always a good question and comes up often. Weight placement not so much and I think is really important too.  Last year I did an experiment.  I previously had a SW Motech rear rack, holding a 1.75 gal water cell (or fuel cell, pick you evil), big duffle on top of that with side cases.  This accentuated the top heavy feel of the bike SO MUCH I really didn't like it.  Over that winter I experimented with dropping that 1.75 gal water down to the side carrier level which also moved it much farther forward.  With that I was able to remove the SW rear rack all together and have the duffel a little farther forward, and technically a few inches lower on the rear seat too.  The following spring I took this set-up for its 1st ride and even with the winter months of time in between, I found the difference immediately noticeable and back to an acceptable level.  So I didn't really shed much weight but moved it more centered and lower and now I'm pretty happy with it.  

I find this acceptable for the kind of riding I do with my camping partner because I'm already more capable than he is with his bike.  When I'm solo I shed my removable side racks and go rackless with a tank bag to keep it light. At some point soon here when I finally get done with my 3 year set-up love affair, I'll start to think about how to shed more solo riding type weight.  One last point, I really think the set up "acceptability" depends on who with and where one rides.  When I'm less off-road and riding/ camping with my buddy, I have no issue with the extra weight and appreciate the comforts that come with it. When I'm solo I much perfer a stripped down approach so I can ride it how I want to.

Edited by DT675
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kdeleon said:

I see where the weight is now.  My camping load out is aroud 40lbs with soft luggage and heavy stuff like water, so am guessing mine is closer to 500lbs on camping adventure trips.    My daily pack is small toolset and tubes, etc.   

Surprisingly the bike performs well on the trail, and it's actually easier to loft the front wheel up with the heavier rear load.  However everytime I ride the bike on pure trail runs (stripped down of camping gear), it reminds me how much easier it is to ride without the weight -- relatively speaking at least.  I have a lighter dual sport bike that keeps things in perspective.

Funny enough, most my dual sport riding friends end up putting their stuff in their luggage that i freed up for me.  I guess that's fine as long as they help me pick the bike up.  LOL.

That's a lot of weight for just camping gear unless your idea of camping gear and mine is vastly different. 

Does that 40 pounds include the soft bags? If so that's not terrible. 

My tent, pad, pillow and  sleeping bag weigh 11 pounds. If I bring a cooking/mess kit that adds another 2-3 pounds. 

For water it's either on my back or in the bladder in my tankbag. I almost never carry more than 2-3 liters of water but I always have a filter in case something goes wrong and I run out of water. I never bring much for clothing, extra pair of socks and underwear, crocs, lightweight pants or shorts, a couple of shirts and a toothbrush. 

The way I have my Reckless 40 setup weighs 10 pounds empty which I think is too heavy. Not really a fan of it, but I got it for darn near free. 

Edited by mpatch
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, mpatch said:

That's a lot of weight for just camping gear unless your idea of camping gear and mine is vastly different. 

My tent, pad, pillow and  sleeping bag weigh 11 pounds. If I bring a cooking/mess kit that adds another 2-3 pounds. 

For water it's either on my back or in the bladder in my tankbag. I almost never carry more than 2-3 liters of water but I always have a filter in case something goes wrong and I run out of water. 

fair enough, I differentiate beween camp to ride, or ride to camp.   Ride to camp will be the upper scale where i have 1 gal of water, hydroflask of whiskey, extra gas and bushwacking stuff.  And then some stupid crap like string lights, firebox stove to make camping more pleasurable.   Worst offender is I always bring more food than I eat.  Tools and tubes are heaviest but that always goes with me.  Then if going solo, I add up the eastbound motowinch which is 7lbs itself.   Yeah i include all that as part of my camping gear weight including the soft bag.  The Endurstan bag is pretty light actually compared to a Mosko setup, part of reason i went with it, the other is $$$ :D.

When camping to ride, the slimmest camping setup is 25lbs.  My camping gear are all backpacking gear (not ultra lightweight, no budget for it) so they are very reasonable.

ride to camp, probably my heaviest ever setup since this box alone is good 15lbs.   Took me awhile to pick up the bike after dropping it on deep sand lol.  Never again.

20221002_120808.jpg.5a025817332b7cc66e6786a270a9a290.jpg

camp to ride setup, 

20230901_151338.jpg.28c4ad04e7940bad23688445895f59c3.jpg

But my typical configuration looks more like.

20230624_151804(1).jpg.c8c4666acb57c49a8908d1e4155b43b6.jpg

Edited by kdeleon
d
  • Like 3

Out of curiosity, i weighed all the gear and comes up to 35lbs!!    I just took out the rear rack (15lbs), i plan to run without a rear rack next year.  That's 15lbs more room for important stuff like beer.

20231209_123519.jpg.3defe53ce7a13c35781bec5602b6a1f8.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My bag is a chase harper Stealth saddle bag. Its a throw over set of saddle bags that I separated and made my own frame to mount it. I believe they have been discontinued.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kdeleon said:

Out of curiosity, i weighed all the gear and comes up to 35lbs!!    I just took out the rear rack (15lbs), i plan to run without a rear rack next year.  That's 15lbs more room for important stuff like beer.

20231209_123519.jpg.3defe53ce7a13c35781bec5602b6a1f8.jpg

Since we're talking about optimizing for weight, it's important to find your preferred, alcoholically-dense beverages. It'll be both lighter by volume than beer and you don't need to bring as much. And two of these great, lightweight, and indestructible Nalgene flasks will hold 99% of a bottle, leaving you with a good sip after transferring it over...

PXL_20231210_004727837.jpg.42a13b9584f47edcbaf6fe3798ab766d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

advgoats.com

Exactly.  My 8oz flask is situated in the crash bar pouch for quick access!  

I generally prefer drinking beer, cold beer to be exact.  So I have a 40oz hydroflask that I fill up when I come across a liquor store and it stays cold.

These are the small things that make or break camp 😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yeah moving to soft luggage meant sacrificing an aluminum case to dump a bag of ice in! Don't know why I didn't think of a hydroflask before, that's a good one.

advgoats.com

@random1781 I'm sure you know this, but dry bags work two ways and are good for holding ice as long as you don't mind the condensation on the outside. 

I've also found that Amazon bubble pack shipping bags make good insulation for hydration packs and would probably work as well for a dry bag cooler. 

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 1