Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

While changing the front sprocket...

roygilbo

Which was as the picture shows, well past its due date.  

I had my 30mm socket and 1/2 inch drive breaker bar, Motion Pro Sprocket Jammer as well as having my assistant standing on the break pedal (my wife is lovely :)).  I was expecting a struggle to loosen the lock nut, but there was barely no torque on the sprocket nut AT ALL.  I have heard of people not being able to budge it, having to use an impact gun etc.

It could not have had more than 20 ft/lb as it was zero effort on my part.  Spun off like nothing.  There was resistance as it had to get the indents out of the rim, but that was minimal. 

Has anyone else experienced that?  It was disconcerting to say the least.

Image.jpg

4 hours ago, roygilbo said:

Which was as the picture shows, well past its due date.  

I had my 30mm socket and 1/2 inch drive breaker bar, Motion Pro Sprocket Jammer as well as having my assistant standing on the break pedal (my wife is lovely :)).  I was expecting a struggle to loosen the lock nut, but there was barely no torque on the sprocket nut AT ALL.  I have heard of people not being able to budge it, having to use an impact gun etc.

It could not have had more than 20 ft/lb as it was zero effort on my part.  Spun off like nothing.  There was resistance as it had to get the indents out of the rim, but that was minimal. 

Has anyone else experienced that?  It was disconcerting to say the least.

Image.jpg

Must’ve had your weetabix. 

• Haha 2

Mine looked the same after 30k km. But I have no idea about the struggles of changing it because I was lazy enough to just pay my dealer to do this for me...

I wonder how the nut could have come loose. Retaining mechanism failed or rather not torqued to spec ar first?

6 hours ago, Tenerider said:

I wonder how the nut could have come loose. Retaining mechanism failed or rather not torqued to spec ar first?

That is exactly the question.  I was astonished.  You could feel the resistance of the punched indents, but that was about it. 

I tried swapping to the 16 tooth sprocket at 1200 miles and failed miserably. Even my dealer struggled there after but got it done. It was a nightmare.