Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Any tall riders out there with footpegs tips?

Tore

I´m looking for a set of lower foot pegs for my 2023 Tenere 700.

As I am 197 cm tall and have shoe size 45, I´m considering Bosly Pegs Rally size with a -50mm drop and -20mm back, but I´m a little concerned about not beeing able to adjust the brake and shift levers accordingly.

Do you have any experience about this? Has it been a trouble for some people?

If not Bosley, what other pegs would you reccomend?

Thanx!

Out of interest, why do you want to get your feet lower?  I ride the T7 and also an sportsbike where my knees are up under my armpits.  It's a bit of challenge on that one but you get used to it, because there is no option.  riding the T7 is a lot more relaxing on the legs I suppose but again, it's what you get used to.  How many miles have you put on your T7 Tore?  How often do you ride it?

I have Bosley -30mm pegs installed. 

The brake pedal can be lowered enough unless you have CamelADV's the Fix. If you do, you will probably need to modify the tip: 

The shifter is more of an issue.  Even if you remove the nub on the back of the aluminum footpeg mount, the travel is limited in the downshift direction.  I will eventually modify my shifter similar to what I did for the brake lever, but for now, I have a piece of tubing zip-tied to the bottom of the shifter. 

I really like these pegs and am quite happy with the additional legroom they give my 37" inseam legs. 

@ToreHi - I'm not nearly as tall at 185, so I was looking for much less gain. Flipping the Pivot Pegz gave me enough, about 15mm, but that was enough to put me on the limits for adjusting shifter and brake optimally. For sure, if you're dropping 50mm, you will have to also plan for solutions for the brake/shifter adjustments. 

187 cm, long legs: Pivot Pegz in the lower configuration and Kedo lowering brackets give me a little bit more than 30mm drop. I love it, standing feels better, but so does sitting. Kedo brackets move the pegs back a bit, too.

Size 45 shoes as well.

Brake pedal height is no problem, but the shifter needed some tweaking (ground off the small nubbin on the inside of the peg bracket and moved that upper lever thing one spline further).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tore said:
I´m looking for a set of lower foot pegs for my 2023 Tenere 700.

As I am 197 cm tall and have shoe size 45, I´m considering Bosly Pegs Rally size with a -50mm drop and -20mm back, but I´m a little concerned about not beeing able to adjust the brake and shift levers accordingly.

Do you have any experience about this? Has it been a trouble for some people?

If not Bosley, what other pegs would you reccomend?

Thanx!

Try to search the forum but from what I remember it's no good to drop the pegs by more than 20 mm because you can run in all sorts of adjustability issues.

You can drop the pegs a bit and add the rally seat.

I'm 187 mm with long legs and I think I will order Bosleys with 20 mm drop without moving them back (not necessary even with my 46 boots).

1 hour ago, beakster said:

Try to search the forum but from what I remember it's no good to drop the pegs by more than 20 mm because you can run in all sorts of adjustability issues.

You can drop the pegs a bit and add the rally seat.

I'm 187 mm with long legs and I think I will order Bosleys with 20 mm drop without moving them back (not necessary even with my 46 boots).

As I said before, -30mm are no problem if you don't mind grinding off the nubbin. Every other change to the bike is non-permanent and there are no caveats. I still found the difference between -20 and -30mm noticeable and prefer the lower setting.

Completely agree about moving back the pegs, I don't need it either. Plenty of space without it.

And yes, the tall rally seat also helps.

• Like 1

I have 30 lower and 20 back and am happy.  

For 50mm lower you will probably need to modify the shifter and brake.

I would just plan to modify the shifter with a welded on tip to fix the issue and do the same for the rear brake lever.

I wouldn't be concerned go ahead and order , just be prepared to do a bit of custom fab to the levers to get exactly what you need.

I have the Rally pegs and wish I had just ordered his standard pegs.  The rally pegs stick out a long way and I find them in the way when coming to a stop as they are exactly where I would like to have my legs.  You will get used to it,  but for me I think his stock pegs would have suited me better.

• Like 3

I had no issues with fitment, but am contemplating refitting the stock pegs to gain clearance.  I tend to knock my boots off the pegs regularly.

I'm about the same size and found the Moose YZ pegs with 1/2" back was spot on for positioning. They slide right on.

A tall one-piece seat is a godsend too.

On 12/16/2023 at 1:15 AM, Tenerider said:

187 cm, long legs: Pivot Pegz in the lower configuration

I'm 185 cm, and have the same pegz, I'll lower mine and see what it feels like, sure it will be better, never thought of the standing aspect before.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, winddown said:

I'm 185 cm, and have the same pegz, I'll lower mine and see what it feels like, sure it will be better, never thought of the standing aspect before.

Instructions are somewhere here on the server already:

2066055283_PivotPegzLoweringInstructions

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tenerider said:

Instructions are somewhere here on the server already:

Thanks, I'm sure I have the printout that came with them too.  I'll do it tomorrow, after I adjust the chain.  I love the PPegz, don't even notice them moving around anymore, just my feet flat on the pegs, all the time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2023 at 1:15 AM, Tenerider said:

187 cm, long legs: Pivot Pegz in the lower configuration

Brake pedal height is no problem, but the shifter needed some tweaking (ground off the small nubbin on the inside of the peg bracket and moved that upper lever thing one spline further).

Finally got to test ride the mod today, been hot as hell here.  It's certainly improved the feel standing up I can say that.  I have stegPegz too, in the fully forward position and they were ok but my normal feet position on the pegs didn't allow me to engage with them properly.  Now lowering the pegs also moved them back I noticed and no the stegz grab the back of my boot perfectly.

I too found the gear selector was now too high and tweeked back and forward and finally found a spot where it's perfect for standing operation.  I noticed on the arm there is a second hole, one where you can lower the lever  a lot but I didn't need that.  I didn't need to alter the lever on the spline either, I just used the adjustable rod that connects the lever to the engine shaft.

Edited by winddown
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, winddown said:

Finally got to test ride the mod today, been hot as hell here.  It's certainly improved the feel standing up I can say that.  I have stegPegz too, in the fully forward position and they were ok but my normal feet position on the pegs didn't allow me to engage with them properly.  Now lowering the pegs also moved them back I noticed and no the stegz grab the back of my boot perfectly.

I too found the gear selector was now too high and tweeked back and forward and finally found a spot where it's perfect for standing operation.  I noticed on the arm there is a second hole, one where you can lower the lever  a lot but I didn't need that.  I didn't need to alter the lever on the spline either, I just used the adjustable rod that connects the lever to the engine shaft.

Very good! I needed to go down one spline since there weren't enough threads engaging on the rod any more. Didn't notice the second hole on the lever. Might be easier than moving the second lever on the splined axle.

6 minutes ago, Tenerider said:

Might be easier than moving the second lever on the splined axle.

Might.  It looks like a hole for mods, would make sense to have one there though one would have to check the manual to be sure I suppose.  using that hole would certainly drop the lever.LEVERHOLE.jpg.8cefdae5d4b9431edd162848cc185834.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Kedo makes a pair of brackets that relocate the stock pegs. Seems like a pretty clean and simple modification.

Application: Ténéré700 + WorldRaid (XTZ690) 2019 and later - can not be combined with a main stand  KEDO Footpeg Bracket approx. -23mm Comfortable knee angle and secure stand, ideal for riders over 185cm and...

Late to the party - but installed these few months ago and worked out good:

Now in stock: 24mm drop & 24mm rearward offset. Compatible with OEM & aftermarket T7 foot pegs. Not compatible with factory center stand.    Made in the USA!  

Rally seat should be the first point of order for sure. It's one of the best investments you can make on this bike.  I personally would not get lower footpegs. The standing position will become too passive IMO and you will end up standing on it like a GS rider. (If you know what I mean 😆)

The T7 seating and standing position is really relaxed already. To notice this all you have to do is sit on a KTM 890 or 690. If you get back on the T7 it will feel like a cruiser in comparison. 

Edited by OK185
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, OK185 said:

Rally seat should be the first point of order for sure. It's on of the best investments you can make on this bike.  I personally would not get lower footpegs. The standing position will become too passive IMO and you will end up standing on it like a GS rider. (If you know what I mean 😆)

The T7 seating and standing position is really relaxed already. To notice this all you have to do is sit on a KTM 890 or 690. If you get back on the T7 it will feel like a cruiser in comparison. 

Agree on the Rally seat, but definitely not on the lowered pegs. Handling got much better for me especially standing on the pegs (plus more road comfort). It eliminated the need of bar risers, since the height difference between standing on my long legs and sitting got less extreme.

It's a similar improvement as the rally seat for us long-legged guys (but cheaper). A GS has imho sitting-oriented ergonomics, just like an AT, don't see how the lowered pegs would turn a T7 into that direction.

P.S.: Think I know now what you mean: Less high/aggressive standing position compared to KTMs. Haven't ridden one yet but heard of it. Makes sense.

Edited by Tenerider
  • Like 2

@OK185 In general, I agree with what you say about not having the footpegs too low. 

Some of us have longer legs than the average rider and that suggestion is not valid for us. It is not fun going through life needing clothes that are hard to find and riding motorcycles designed for midgets! 🤣

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Agree on the Rally seat, but definitely not on the lowered pegs. Handling got much better for me especially standing on the pegs (plus more road comfort)

Yes that was my experience too.  Your weight is only a little lower with the pivot peg mod but it does seem to make a big difference.  I had to lower the gear shifter and I thought it was ok but it's not low enough for changing seated.

• Like 1

I went with the easier and cheaper option and got a pair of these NiceCNC branded 20mm lowered foot peg bracket from Amazon. I don't have first impressions though as they are not installed just yet.
image.png.0fba95a5ec6f4ff1bf47322c959c105f.png

• Like 1