Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Yamaha Quality is???

Ileumi

Hello from Finland.

I bought my 2019 tenere spring this year, mileage 28000 kilometers. now mileage is 35000 and here  some issues.

- Front telescope oil seals leaking.

- Clutch  growling and snapping when cold

- ABS pump screaming

- today gear indicator failed

Yamaha imorter is not interesting about issues, becouse warranty is two years.

I have own 14 motos, some driven over 100 000 kilometers. This tenere is newest and most expensive on my bikes and I think, qualitys is full bullshit

-Ike from Finland-

Hi Ike, I’m sorry to have point this out, but, you bought a 3 year old bike with 28,000km………

what condition was it in when you bought it?

How was it ridden by the previous rider?

did the previous owner/owners modify or break any parts affected?

has the brake fluid been changed?

was the clutch abused?

A leaking fork seal on a 4 year old bike at 35000 Kms is not a big issue (KTM riders live with that issue with a fraction of your kms). There are plenty of T7’s with big miles and no serious issues. Long haul Paul has 120,000 on his I believe. Cory thrashes the nuts off his and the clutch was in good condition, his engine ran with no coolant in a race, he filled it up and it was fine for many miles after. It’s all down to how the bikes used and looked after. Obviously you could have a Friday afternoon bike or it could’ve just had a hard life. 

• Like 7

• Moderators

@Ileumi Welcome to the forum Ike, quite a provocative first post. @Alf Meister has some very valid points and I totally agree that without knowing the history of that 4 year old bike, your assessment of that 2019 model is limited to the last 20% of the mileage incurred. Much abuse could have occurred prior to you taking possession of it.

Since you're new here, there's lots of threads and valuable insight on this board that will help you figure out these minor issues, so I'd encourage you to search those items out.  Enjoy your stay here, it's a collection of a great bunch of folks more than willing to help.

• Like 4

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

34 minutes ago, Alf Meister said:

Hi Ike, I’m sorry to have point this out, but, you bought a 3 year old bike with 28,000km………

what condition was it in when you bought it?

How was it ridden by the previous rider?

did the previous owner/owners modify or break any parts affected?

has the brake fluid been changed?

was the clutch abused?

A leaking fork seal on a 4 year old bike at 35000 Kms is not a big issue (KTM riders live with that issue with a fraction of your kms). There are plenty of T7’s with big miles and no serious issues. Long haul Paul has 120,000 on his I believe. Cory thrashes the nuts off his and the clutch was in good condition, his engine ran with no coolant in a race, he filled it up and it was fine for many miles after. It’s all down to how the bikes used and looked after. Obviously you could have a Friday afternoon bike or it could’ve just had a hard life. 

Long haul Paul has over 170k miles on his bike lol 

Fork seals at 100k apparently 

Op. My clutch is the same taking the plates out and soaking them might fix it. I've got an oil change coming up so I'll wait till then.

Pavlin from motorcycle adventures t7 has the same clutch issue and he's done a ton of miles on it so I'm not panicking over it 

Gear indicator might well be a connector or pinched wire. Get tracing wires 

• Like 1

Leaking fork seals could be something easy to fix, like dirt under the seal lip. 

That's not a reliability issue, it's a maintenance one. 

• Like 4

Welcome!

It would appear that your T7 was used a bit.

Fork seals are a wear item and will need to be replaced from time to time. Mine went at 8200kms, and have been good since (29000kms now)

Clutch growling when cold is a KNOWN issue with the CP2 engine and is NOT a concern other than the noise it makes. There are MANY topics in this forum discussing it, with potential solutions of varying affect.

ABS pump screaming - assume you mean when you initiate ABS through a rear wheel slide event or similar? Change your brake fluid. This should be done every 3 years, and I would recommend every 2 years in a humid environment.

Gear indicator failure, could be wiring or the sensor, or the gauge (highly unlikely) cluster. Relatively simple diagnostics with the service manual. DM me with your email address if you need the manual.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

The trouble is unless you know how it was treated you should maybe expect problems- maybe the the previous owner didn’t particularly take care of it and rode it hard off road

Okay... I have talk with previous owner, bike have drive 50/50 offroad/road.  Externally look bike is fine., its have not used hardcore way...

Front end sealants. Easy to renew - done.

Clutch. Opened and seems, that inner clutch plates was dry. And they really was dry as desert.  I soak them oil and now clutch works fine but how long, I dont believe that is long lasting solution.

ABS-pump. Bike have sercviced regularly and I have renew break fluid onced. Pump screams like dentist drillirregular. 

Gear indicator. Easy to renew, costs 60 euros.

Point is.... I bought bike, becouse mileage was low and it was only 4 years old. I did not wait so much problem as now... And what is situation after next 35 000km? My previous bike was Italian/Austrian made BMW G650. That was used very hardcore way in Russian, Morocco and driven lot of winter.  Mileage was almost 100 000 kilometers when I sell it away, of coarse, thre was lot of fixing after 80 000 km....

Here is image of my tenere. Nice day to drive 😄

IMG-20231220-WA0002_800x450.jpeg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Hogan said:

Mine had air in the brake lines from factory too.

Gear indicator problem goes back to the MT07 - Yamaha have never bothered to rectify the issue. Apparently it's just cold solder joints, and it's possible to fix it. (I haven't tried yet)

Personally I've never regarded Yamaha as a top quality brand, but they are decent enough. Better than KTM that's for sure. Just get a feel of that gear box, like shifting a Massy Ferguson. It's no Honda, that's for sure.

Part of the problem will be the fact that it's a 2019 model, one of the first ones.

Yamaha have probably worked some bugs out along the way.

+1 on the gear indicator. One of the very few items which fail relatively often.

A 50/50 ridden bike has experienced a lot of more wear than a road bike. I've talked to guys who have attended rallys for more than 20 years. They say you can roughly triple the offroad miles (mild offroad) or even multiply by 5 (rally) to compare it to onroad mileage. This means that service intervals need to be adjusted as well, as is stated in the OEM manual iirc.

ABS: I've not heard about a similar issue yet. Bleeding the brake system would be the first thing to me.

The leaking seals are no wonder if the bike has seen some mud or snowy/icy conditions (see your pic): Lowers get covered, mud dries up, and destroys the seals upon compression. Same for ice, that's why I wear neoprene covers on the lowers.

As You see, @Ileumi, this is no place for criticize the magnificent T7 😁 

It is still the unicorn, even when the engine cover gets in your way, it's undersprung for us fat Europeans, the dash board wobbles, the rear swing gets scratched by the mud flap and by the silencer, noisy clutch, shitty rear brake, ...

Have you visited the Pohjolan Kurapyöräilijät -site?

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

Yeh. And dont forget soft sidestand springs and sideplasts, which are cheaper material tha Tokmannis bails...

But what I have learn? Tenere 700 is good bike, maybe best! Seems its like Rukka and Schubert. There is ever nothing wrong with anything, I have only used them wrong way...

Yes, sometimes I have visit in PKP forum, you can find my posts nic ilmari. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 1:38 PM, sunndog said:

Long haul Paul has over 170k miles on his bike lol 

Fork seals at 100k apparently 

Op. My clutch is the same taking the plates out and soaking them might fix it. I've got an oil change coming up so I'll wait till then.

Pavlin from motorcycle adventures t7 has the same clutch issue and he's done a ton of miles on it so I'm not panicking over it 

Gear indicator might well be a connector or pinched wire. Get tracing wires 

Had same issue with this selector indicator and turned out to be bad contact on slider inside.  

I'd bought a new one and fitted it but if  I'd taken the old one of first and cleaned the contacts I reckon it would have been fine .

Just my findings, mine was intermittent.