Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

New owner T7; expanding fuel range

Kelly K

I live in Northern California, near Red Bluff. I'm wanting to expand my fuel milage to at least 300 miles per tank... Any help?

Edited by Kelly K

16 minutes ago, sunndog said:

Oh yep, forgot that one 👍

Just saw they're still not available ...

The best (claimed) mpg I've ever come across is 76 mpg / 3.09 l/100km:

image.jpeg.9202531bf92e31d13249edca243ccb9c.jpeg

16.1l of fuel volume would then allow 521 miles per tank, and then it would be bone dry.

An mpg of 67 (3.5 l/100km) seems more realistic to me, see chart above A few guys here in Germany were able to achieve it over significant distances.

From my experience, this is only possible under the following circumstances:

- Temps above 10°C

- No city traffic

- Try to ride at constant speed - no acceleration, no braking, be tame on the throttle

- Most fuel efficient speed is between 35 and 50 mph

- Stay behind trucks as often as possible

- Shift up very early, ride in 6th from 35 mph

I once averaged at 3.2l/100km for several hours. This meant highway riding only, staying between the trucks most of the time, at 55 mph.

This is almost 1.5 years ago, and I was a total newbie rider back then.

I noticed that my average range decreased over the last year significantly - as my trust in the bike increased and I more often made use of the available power of our CP2 engine. I'm not so tame on the throttle any more...

• Like 2

I'm looking for a tank of about 6+ gallons which fits well and doesn't need any fabrication..🤠

• Moderators

Welcome from Arizona.  Here's a couple of threads that should help.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

5 hours ago, RiderEh said:

For the price and versatility, I think bladder makes the most sense.

MSR dromedary bag is what I use. They do leech the smell of gas a bit but they work and are cheap. 

11 hours ago, Toddler said:

I have the Camel Aux tank, I’ve been very happy with it.

I have about 15,000 miles on mine.  I have run it to 275+ miles a few times with what I estimate is about 35 -45 miles remaining.  It does add weight, but you only need to fill it when you need the extra range and it is relatively low on the bike.

• Like 1

+1 for the Camel option. It may not improve the bike’s looks, but the fill & forget practicality of siphon feed adds an easy to use 100km+ range when required. Puts the added weight in a better place than larger main tanks too  Can easily squeeze 5.5 litres into mine now it hasn’t given me any grief since install. Just be sure to add their main tank cap seal fix as well, because solid vacuum is mandatory for proper fuel transfer. 

No complaints at all with the Acerbis tank on my bike.  Gives 300 mile range.

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750