Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 handlebars vibration from 5000 to 7000 rpm

chuck

I own t7 2019

I have 8500km on it and the bike is great BUT one thing! I feel high frequency vibration from 5000 to 7000 rpm. It's really uncomfortable after 30 minutes of ride. I went to Yamaha dealer and they think that the extra vibration may caused by the Yamaha oem crash bars. 

Has anyone had the same issue?

Sounds mysterious. No vibrations here either. 

"Eternally, unavoidably, eventually, all paths will lead to the cemetery." Sentenced

Me neither. One of the smoothest bikes I've ever owned.

Have you got different hand-guards or mounts or something on the handlebars? Tyres balanced, right tyre pressures etc.?

Rich

14 hours ago, chuck said:

I went to Yamaha dealer and they think that the extra vibration may caused by the Yamaha oem crash bars. 

I would have taken them off completely (easy job) and check if something has changed.

• Thanks 1

Update: Today I took off the crash bars and the vibration decreased by (around) 20%.

So definitely the OEM crash bars cause some vibration but not game changer.

I have also installed barkbusters handguards but they didn't cause any change.

Still a great bike.

Are these vibrations noticeable on every gear between 5000-7000 rpm, or just on the 6th ?

I have the bike in standard form with original tires, only barkbusters replaced. I noticed the same today having spent 45mins at 120kmh... odd given all praises for the smoothest engine.

• 2 months later...

Yes there is vibration on your hands with 6th gear over 6 7 8k rpm...not to much but you can feel

Fill the bars with silicone. Got to your local hardware store, buy two tubes of Silicone and go home , remove the bars. Remove the stock hand grips, tape one end of the handlebars. Fill from the other end.  Good time to install some comfy pillow grips. 

This has been done this way for years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Check the front sprocket condition. If the front sprocket is worn then the vibration will increase.

I change the front sprocket every 5000-8000km, gravel driving consumes the front sprocket more when asphalt driving.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if you need to sync the throttle bodies. Sounds like vibration is a symptom of these being out of sync.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Peelu said:

I wonder if you need to sync the throttle bodies. Sounds like vibration is a symptom of these being out of sync.

Could be the reason.

During my first service after 1000 km, they have made sync to my T7, which is  scheduled first time after 10 000 km service.

Check if you need to sync the throttle bodies. Mine where adjusted at the 1.000km service (should first be adjusted after 10.000km). Increased the vibrations so they must have done something wrong.

Check if the vibrations are there when revving the engine in neutral. This eliminates the transmission/tires etc.

Mine are engine vibrations from 5.000 rpm and up in neutral. Speed/gear has no influence.

Had a MT-07. It also had vibrations, but they where less and not a problem.

• 3 months later...

You should spend some time on a 660 then jump back on 700 and vibrations will be gone.🙂 Try some barkbusters bar end weights.  I kept them off my old 660 and fitted them to new 700 Barkbusters. Not that I had any vibes happening anyway. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 7:25 PM, Teresa said:

Check if you need to sync the throttle bodies. Mine where adjusted at the 1.000km service (should first be adjusted after 10.000km). Increased the vibrations so they must have done something wrong.

Check if the vibrations are there when revving the engine in neutral. This eliminates the transmission/tires etc.

Mine are engine vibrations from 5.000 rpm and up in neutral. Speed/gear has no influence.

Had a MT-07. It also had vibrations, but they where less and not a problem.

Mines the same and I know someone else who has the same problem. I get a numb hand sometimes, but most of the time its not too bad and others times I have no problem whatsoever. I’m getting vibration through the bars, foot pegs and side panels which are particularly noticeable above 5000rpm. 

I believe its partly down to how sensitive you are personally to vibration, but also that each engine is different due to tolerances, which maybe within the manufacturers spec, but one bike might be perfectly balanced and smooth and another maybe very unbalanced or poorly setup as certain components are very close to be unacceptable but are within spec. It could also be down to a particular riders personal health and whether they have any health issues, like bad circulation etc. 

It does amaze me when some people say the engine is very smooth and have no vibration whatsoever, as thats not my personal experience. I think its a bit like bike racers, there are riders that feel every little change  the mechanics make with a bikes setup, the smallest change and they can feel it, these riders seem to be very sensitive and are very good at setting up and developing bikes, whereas other riders are less sensitive to what they feel through the bike. So from a road rider, one rider will be very sensitive to vibration and tyres, whereas another will barely notice issues, or they do notice, but dont focus on those issues, so its not a problem. 

To be honest, I’ve had plenty of bikes that have been far worse, to the point my hand/hands have been completely numb and I’ve had to sell the bike, the T7 is not like that for me. 

I was thinking about what i could do, from a handle bar solution to vibration and was considering trying some honda Africa twin internal brass weight inserts, as well as the bar end weights (I have barkbusters fitted that have a slightly lighter weight than the oem weights). It would be very interesting to know whether the situation can be improved by balancing the throttle bodies, i thought that they were set at the factory and not manually adjustable, but maybe I’m wrong. 

Edited by Alf Meister
  • Like 1

I was wrong, and my dealer right: balancing the injectors does not change the vibrations. Even deliberately misaligned them does not change the vibrations significantly.

Even with the same engine as the MT-07, perhaps the different frame and the fact that the handle bar is much more rigid mounted makes the engine vibration more pronounced on the t7.

Replacing the stock grips with Progrip 698 made it tolerable for me, they are softer and stickier so you hold on more loosely and feel less of the vibrations. Also tried Grip puppies but they are not for me, to big.

I find its very temperature sensitive, so sometimes I don’t notice vibration at all and other times my hands go numb. I also have Barkbusters, which have lighter Bar weights than OEM, so might look at increasing the bar weight. The OEM heated grips also don’t help, they don’t seem to be that grippy, so I tend to grip the throttle quite tight, where as, I don’t need to, with the clutch hand. However, its doesn’t ruin a great bike, its just one of those quirks you have to accept and get used to. 

The vibration we feel (mine is borderline tolerable) at 5-7K RPM is largely a function of rigidly mounted everything (engine, bars, pegs, etc) and an inherently un-balanced engine. A parallel twin firing at 270 degrees (ie: crossplane - the CP in CP2) sets up a second order imbalance (rocking couple not present in a 360 degree engine like a Triumph) that is very difficult to quell with balance shafts as the rocking couple tries to rock the crank ends up and down once per rev (like a teeter totter). The 270 degree firing order can be dealt with using balance shafts. Vibration isolation also works, the gen 1 Super Tenere versus the Gen 2 with its rubber mounted bars, but you lose the tight feel of the controls.

I have yet to fill the bars with silicone (will get there this winter) for vibration dampening, but in order to keep the bike 'tight' I'm reluctant to soften anything like grips or bar mounts. And, yes each of us has a different feel and tolerance. I've been riding/racing medium to big singles (as well as V-Twins of various configs, multi's etc.) for years, and haven't felt the need to comment or complain about vibration, but that's racing. Droning along on a highway for hours at 5500-6000 rpm on the T7 is a different feeling. Hence a throttle lock to give the hands a rest.

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Yep....After spending the last 9 years on a Tenere 660 my new T700 is as smooth as silk.  Maybe I am not as sensitive to the problems some are experiencing.... and I am even happy with the genuine heated grips as they are plenty hot and have to turn them down a notch. I do have bar end weights as well though. 

Edited by DazR
photo.

11 minutes ago, DazR said:

IMG_7873.jpg

Thanks for jogging my mind, I must get some of those, had them in the past, but weren’t available when I ordered the Barkbusters. 👍