Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rider Profiles, who's your hero?

AZJW

• Moderators

Thought I'd start a thread soliciting write ups on who you admire, preferably detailing someone you know personally and how they've inspired your riding.   Sure, we all think Rossi, Roberts, Pastrana,  etc... are all the best in their fields, but I'm interested in reading about the unsung heros, the next door neighbor, family friend, racer in- law, stuff like that.

I'll start it off by detailing an old family friend,  who is celebrating his 94th birthday next month and rides his DR650 almost daily. Neil Fergus is a former #1 plate in District #37 desert racer winning on a Honda 250 in 1964.  He went on to work for a number of manufacturers to include Yamaha,  Kawasaki,  Bultaco and Ducati.  He was instrumental in development of one of my favorite bikes, the DT1. 

How I came to know Neil was through my Dad as they were high school buddies and had kept in touch for years until my Dad's passing in 2015.  I've kept up with Neil on a regular basis, visit and ride with him as many times a year that we can work out. Riding with him is refreshing and at times taxing as he hustles his DR around his stomping ground like nobody's business.   His rides consist of pavement,  but the rougher the better in his eyes and he has a cranial map of every back road within a 150 mile radius of his Northern California home, nope, no gps for him!

He was recently profiled in the June 2023 AMA magazine and has had his name mentioned in just about every issue since in response to his inspirational story of still riding daily and has ignited renewed interest in the DR650.  So much so that editor Mitch Boehm did a write up about it in the Jan. 2024 issue.on pg 73.  As an aside, I submitted an application on his behalf to be inducted into the AMA Hall of Fame, hoping that comes to pass and soon!  I mean, he's tough as nails and is in excellent health, but as he points out " they'd better hurry up, at 93, I ain't getting any younger"!

How Neil has influenced/affected me is a multi faceted answer. My riding has always been therapeutic,  but after many conversations with Neil, I realize why he says you don't see any motorcycles parked in front of a psychiatrists office. Attitude is another, he has a very positive outlook on life and doesn't fret about things he can't change, focusing rather on the things he does well and can help keep that positive attitude. One thing that amazes me is that he just loves riding in sand,  something that baffles me, but then again,  he probably has more sand time than I do pavement,  so there's that. 

I'm linking a bio & ride video in case anyone is interested in learning more about Neil.

http://thebannerisup.district37ama.org/alumni/nfergus-bio.htm

Ok, so who's your hero? 

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS