Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

European Vacation - Fall 2024

SO_Rider

My wife and I are planning a trip to Europe in 2024. She will visit friends in Sicily and then travel north to Poland where she'll reconnect with relatives. Of course, I'm scheming on how to incorporate some type of motorcycle ride into the itinerary and am looking for ideas, guidance, resources, etc. I would travel solo (without my wife) and can probably set aside 5-7 days, maybe I could stretch to 10, ending near Krakow, or somewhere in Poland.  I'm just starting to look at possible routes, including the TET.

Anyone on this forum have ideas for possible tour companies, bike rentals, riding partners, routes, etc? I would prefer joining someone or a group, just to make things a little easier. I prefer off-highway routes but am flexible.

My bio - I'll turn 60 in June, have been riding on and off most of my life. Purchased a Tenere in 22 and have put about 5k mi on it, mostly in my backyard in Southwestern OR (come visit!). I'm relatively fit and consider myself an advanced intermediate rider.

Your input appreciated! 

20220924_175651 - Copy.jpg

27 minutes ago, Ede-DE said:

I don't know about bike rentals but for the possible routes there's a website (Trans Euro Trail: TET) and an app on play store (android) They provide gpx routes for free.

Thanks, I'm familiar with the TET website and have looked at some of the routes in Poland, and areas further south to Croatia. Ideally, I would be able to do a one-way trip from south to north but realize that will be difficult without paying a big premium. So, it will probably end up being a loop of some sort.  

To find a bike for rent should be next to impossible if you want to go one way through europe. Guided tours inclusive bike should be possible but you have to search for it in that specific country where you'd like to ride.

In every european country you are forced to have an insurance that is normally valid only in the country where the vehicle is registered. If you leave the country of origin you are forced to have a special insurance (eg in Germany it's called the 'green insurance card') mostly without extra charge.

But I don't think that you can rent a bike and leave the country on it. The rental company simply won't allow it.

If you like to explore Poland a little - it's nice there at the end of summer - it would be best to search the net for guided tours. Some of the forum members are from Poland. Maybe they can help you to find a bike. Good luck!

• Like 1