Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Greetings from Southern France

Mxjah

Hello adventurers and bike lovers from all over. My name's Sacha and I'm planning to buy a Tenere as my very first big street bike. Still have to pass the license exam in two weeks and off I go.

Been racing motocross as a teenager, then got a bunch of stolen bikes and did quit riding for almost 20 years (except for a 125 husky wre hiatus like 10 years ago)

I'm now 38 and can't want to get my Tenere. I'm still unsure whether I'll get the regular basic T7 or the "explore" lowered model that we get here since 2023.

That's one of th reasons I signed in on this forum, to get some advice, specially on suspensions, to help me with my choice.

Second reason is to hopefully make online and real life friends, here In france or abroad! I did live for 3 years in beautiful BC Canada, as well as a year in NZ and I'm dearly missing people from other there.. you guys are cool just so you know, and have two incredibly beautiful countrys.

So it's good practice for me to write here in English as well.

That's it that's all, talk to you guys later on the forum!

Edited by Mxjah
Typos
  • Like 4

• Moderators

Welcome from Arizona. If you search the Suspension section, there should be a thread that addresses your question, but if not feel free to start one there.  It helps when posting questions there to include your riding weight, style, (agressive/ sedate), type of terrain, rocks, mud, gravel, i.e. mostly pavement,  mostly dirt, 50/50? That'll help others to relate to your situation and offer pertinent advice. 

Your statement "then got a bunch of stolen bikes and did quit riding for almost 20 years" is thought provoking.  Maybe it's a French to English conversion error, maybe you meant "street" bikes?  If not, I'm sure many here would be interested in advice as how not to have their bikes being stolen. 😀

https://www.tenere700.net/forum/14-tenere-700-suspension/

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Bonjour from Germany Sacha!

My T7 is also my first bike after getting my license almost two years ago, I'm 42 now.

Getting a license and a T7 was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Good luck with your exam!

Jan

P.S.: I would recommend riding a standard T7 first and see how you get along with the seat height. Lowering is easily done and doesn't cost much - plus you can always go back.