Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

HELP!!! Fuel Pump relay location!!!

motonap

Question

Hi team,

Had a funny thing happen to me this afternoon, took the bike out to the shop to get new tyres and when I tried to start the bike again, it wouldn't start. The bike cranks and keeps cranking but doesn't fire up.

At first I thought it was a air lock thing because it is a scorching hot day down south so opened and closed the fuel tank cover. Toggled the ignition switch on and off a couple of times but yet no avail.

Checked the battery and the voltage is 12.5V after considerable cranking.

I don't hear the fuel pump priming, so think it is possibly a fuel pump or fuel pump relay thing to check. Now I have looked at the service manual and it talks about a fuel pump relay but doesn't show the location of the relay on any of the illustrations, only other place it is mentioned is the wiring diagram.

Anyone know where one is supposed to look for this relay?

There are 3x relays that sit on the front left side of the bike (left side when you are sitting on the bike) behind the front fairing panel. But nothing specific to what any of those relays are for.

Just managed to get the bike towed home after a lot of delay on roadside assistance and dealing with the towing company, have hooked the battery up to the charger as well.

Anyone else had this issue where the bike just won't fire up? Any ideas as to what the possibilities are?

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

16 answers to this question

This bike does not have any relay behind the front fairing, youv seen the ABS pump and the voltage regulator there.

I belive what your looking for is the relay that sits on the right side of the bike (ground  side of the battery)  - but keep in mind there is almost 0 chance your relay is the problem. Check all of your fuses under the seat first.

image.jpeg

image.png

Edited by Interceptor
  • Like 2

On 1/25/2024 at 7:07 PM, motonap said:

Hi team,

Had a funny thing happen to me this afternoon, took the bike out to the shop to get new tyres and when I tried to start the bike again, it wouldn't start. The bike cranks and keeps cranking but doesn't fire up.

At first I thought it was a air lock thing because it is a scorching hot day down south so opened and closed the fuel tank cover. Toggled the ignition switch on and off a couple of times but yet no avail.

I don't hear the fuel pump priming, so think it is possibly a fuel pump or fuel pump relay thing to check. Now I have looked at the service manual and it talks about a fuel pump relay but doesn't show the location of the relay on any of the illustrations, only other place it is mentioned is the wiring diagram.

There are 3x relays that sit on the front left side of the bike (left side when you are sitting on the bike) behind the front fairing panel. But nothing specific to what any of those relays are for.

Just managed to get the bike towed home after a lot of delay on roadside assistance and dealing with the towing company, have hooked the battery up to the charger as well.

Anyone else had this issue where the bike just won't fire up? Any ideas as to what the possibilities are?

I had a similar issue. I would turn the ignition on lights would come on. Hit the start button. Every thing goes off. My lithium battery is almost 2 years old I thought no way is it bad. Replaced battery. Bike runs perfect again. Same thing battery said 12.5 volts I thought that was enough. It’s not.

• Thanks 1

Update

turned out to be a immobilizer issue, for some reason the immobilizer deactivated itself and as a result the pump wouldn’t prime.

Took a while to figure that out and come to that conclusion, but the give away was the immobilizer light on the dash had stopped flashing. So not sure what bought that about, whether it was the key not being turned the right way or what.

finally put in the master key into the ignition, turned it on and off a couple of times and voila everything worked fine

its a pity I had to strip the bike, pull off the tank to check fuel pump connector settings, check the relays on the rear of the bike and all that jazz before I read about the immobilizer on one of the Facebook forums 

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

So this issue came up again and I have found the only way to deal with it is to carry the master key with me. When I use the master key, the Immobilizer light glows on the dash and the bike starts up. After having done this, the spare key works great, no issues.

Lucky for me I had the master key on me when this happened the 2nd time, but not ideal to be carrying or using the master key as a backup plan, because you lose that key and you are stuffed!!

Yamaha dealer reckons they can replace it under warranty and thankfully the bike is still under warranty, but it does mean that I have to get it assessed by them, they put the warranty claim thru to Yamaha NZ and then once they accept it, the ignition barrel, tank lock barrel and seat release lock barrel will need to come in from Japan. So this could just end up being a long drawn wait and I just have to carry the master key with me until then.

It also means I have to ride 1hr to get to the dealer to assess the bike and then when the new set arrives they will take a whole day to replace all three. Really!! a whole day just because you need to remove the tank to do that 😮

On 1/25/2024 at 7:07 PM, motonap said:

Hi team,

Couldn't the shop help you in the parking lot?  

18 hours ago, roygilbo said:

Couldn't the shop help you in the parking lot?  

This was a tyre shop, the only thing they could help with is a battery jump pack, which did not help.

• Like 1

Im just installing the MCCruise on my T7.   Luckily found a loose black wire that didn't allow switches to work but beyond that;   Re-installed the fuel tank.  Tried to start bike, would not fire.   When I turn the bike to run position the solenoid for the cruise whirrs,  but I do not hear the fuel pump run.   Checked fuses,  nothing blown.    I'm at a loss.  I think I will try multimeter to see if fuel pump is getting power.

@TenereMatt have you looked at the service manual? I have found that there are many places in the manual that are helpful for finding the location of a connector or relay.  A good place to start is the wire routing diagrams in the front of the manual. 

33 minutes ago, Hollybrook said:

@TenereMatt have you looked at the service manual? I have found that there are many places in the manual that are helpful for finding the location of a connector or relay.  A good place to start is the wire routing diagrams in the front of the manual. 

The bike is running now but at a lower 1000rpm.   I think having the tank off did something it and perhaps I messed up the ECU but time will tell.    I still have to diagnose the Mccruise before I ride.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TenereMatt said:

Im just installing the MCCruise on my T7.   Luckily found a loose black wire that didn't allow switches to work but beyond that;   Re-installed the fuel tank.  Tried to start bike, would not fire.   When I turn the bike to run position the solenoid for the cruise whirrs,  but I do not hear the fuel pump run.   Checked fuses,  nothing blown.    I'm at a loss.  I think I will try multimeter to see if fuel pump is getting power.

Bit the bullet on the MCCruise eh?  Been looking at it and trying really hard to justify that crazy high expense.  

4 minutes ago, roygilbo said:

Bit the bullet on the MCCruise eh?  Been looking at it and trying really hard to justify that crazy high expense.  

Yeah bought it months ago.  Just getting to it now since weather finally warmed.   Its a well detailed install.    Took my time installing.  For some weird reason my idle has reduced so not sure yet if I messed something up.  Idle should be an ECU function but to install the cruise you have to make mechanical changes to the the throttle cable and add a cable from the cruise servo.  So not sure if the cable changes affected the idle.   Its not supposed to according to the MCCRUISE guys.   I have to finish setting up the cruise function then i'll see if something changes.

had a not start issue as well in the summer, would not hear fuel pump turn on with key. turned out to be relay connector was dirty, it is the larger  relay on the right rear side panel.

• Like 1

UPDATE:

It turns out the ignition barrel was at fault, not sending the right signal to the ECU all the time. So Yamaha replaced the ignition barrel, tank lock barrel, seat release barrel and the ECU under warranty.

Apparently this is not something they have ever come across before, so not sure what the deal was.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rino said:

had a not start issue as well in the summer, would not hear fuel pump turn on with key. turned out to be relay connector was dirty, it is the larger  relay on the right rear side panel.

Thanks for that.   I'm starting ok.   Just my idle is down and now when i blip throttle the bike cuts out.

5 hours ago, TenereMatt said:

Thanks for that.   I'm starting ok.   Just my idle is down and now when i blip throttle the bike cuts out.

Have you checked the tank fuel pipe? Maybe it has been pinched when you fitted the tank.

20 hours ago, Alan M said:

Have you checked the tank fuel pipe? Maybe it has been pinched when you fitted the tank.

Fuel pipe is fine.   Its the setting of the MCCRUISE cables.   I managed to get it to idle.  Although I still think my ECU may be damaged.  Waiting on dongle to check.