Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

looking for replacement final drive chain 525

Dirtbandit

Hello All,

I was wondering what replacement final drive chains people have been using. Coming to 13,000 miles on the original one. Thanks in advance.

Dane

Are you having trouble finding a 525 x 122 (?) link chain or are you just curious what people are using? Chain preference is like oil preference in my opinion,  it varies person to person. Any reputable chain brand with an o-ring (or x-ring, etc.) chain that meets the specs and your budget will work just fine.

I use whatever RK chain is cheapest and readily available at Fortnine.

Some will argue that all driveline parts should be replaced at once (and they’re probably right). I usually install a new drive sprocket at the same time because they’re relatively cheap and as long as the rear sprocket isn’t too worn I’ll leave it on.

Queue the “rivet vs clip style” master link argument…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Samm said:

Are you having trouble finding a 525 x 122 (?) link chain or are you just curious what people are using? Chain preference is like oil preference in my opinion,  it varies person to person. Any reputable chain brand with an o-ring (or x-ring, etc.) chain that meets the specs and your budget will work just fine.

I use whatever RK chain is cheapest and readily available at Fortnine.

Some will argue that all driveline parts should be replaced at once (and they’re probably right). I usually install a new drive sprocket at the same time because they’re relatively cheap and as long as the rear sprocket isn’t too worn I’ll leave it on.

Queue the “rivet vs clip style” master link argument…

Clip style.  RK 525 MAX X

Edited by roygilbo
update

I replaced mine at 18k miles with a did vx3.

I use CZ SDZZ on all the adventure bikes I change sprocket and chain sets including my T7. 
I like it.

Thank you for the reply’s. I went with the 525 VX3.

• Like 1

Good choice. I use did on everything from Tenere 600 to fireblade. 
to add to @Samms post about chain choice, now consider the lube too. 😉

Adam Reiman has an interesting take on it on his YouTube channel, he used a 520 chain & sprocket to replace the OEM one. Of course, he increases the overall of the wheelbase by what I think is 7cm for the kind of riding he does and swears by how much better the handling off road has become! 

The T7 was designed to have that fantastic squat action for traction, so this 7cm increase only seems to make the squat action better!

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

20 hours ago, motonap said:

Adam Reiman has an interesting take on it on his YouTube channel, he used a 520 chain & sprocket to replace the OEM one. Of course, he increases the overall of the wheelbase by what I think is 7cm for the kind of riding he does and swears by how much better the handling off road has become! 

The T7 was designed to have that fantastic squat action for traction, so this 7cm increase only seems to make the squat action better!

I watched that video as well.  Seemed to make sense, but would I feel a big difference?  However, what could it hurt? 

On 2/6/2024 at 8:28 AM, roygilbo said:

I watched that video as well.  Seemed to make sense, but would I feel a big difference?  However, what could it hurt? 

I guess chain adjustability would be the concern, it looked like he had a reduced adjustable range at the end of it with the longer chain and wheel base.

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

Does lengthening the swingarm not lower the "anti squat"? (It decreases swingarm angle.)

If that effect even exists, since it's probably just a side effect of the CP2 engine height. You couldn't mount it any lower in it's current design. And Yamaha has never called it that themselves as far as I know. 

I feel like if it were such big deal we would have seen higher sprocket positions in racing by now. Maybe I'm wrong. 

A.Riemann imo is giving very basic tips but puts them inside 25min philosophical videos. 😆

Edited by OK185
  • Like 1