Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

F9 says a 270° crank is wrong

AZJW

• Moderators

Interesting analysis but,  I still love the smoothness and sound of my "wrong" 270° crank.

• Like 3

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

As usual Ryan F9 explains the where, the why, the how in his unique style on topics that other journalists never seem to ever consider 🙂 

So, if 270 degree cranks require a 2nd twisting motion during the forging process & the industry currently seems all in....why would it cost more to twist it to 285 vs 270 & why isn't it being done?

• Like 1

If I've understood him correctly, a 270° twist isn't actually a twist, the crankshaft just gets rotated by 90° on the forge and then the "hammer" hits again?

And 285° requires an additional step, or so. Because such an odd rotation isn't readily available on such a forging press/anvil/thing.

Just noticing that my forging vocabulary is quite limited 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ys i seen that and interesting when go through the calculations of how it works.

My understanding was exactly as Tenerider said, to get a true 275 required another step in the crank forging by putting a "twist" or angular rotation into the crack (F9 states KTM are doing this).

The "die forging" is done as standard today but was either not available or too expensive for motorcycles when first conceived. today this process is standard however to go that little bit extra again requires a more advanced forging process and tooling. again adding cost to the end user.

• Like 1

I like the CP2 as well but recently rode a KTM 790 and it was an absolute hoot. Lots of fun and adrenaline compared to the more mellow CP2. (If one day my T7 should give up I might for a round of team orange/white lol)

But I think it has to do more with general power output and how it produces it.

And I also think the CP2 is still more effective for offroad riding, regardless of 270 or 275°...

Offtopic KTM engine tangent:

That LC8c is definetly a beast of an engine. I also measured it and it was like 10cm shorter than the CP2 and super compact all around and almost no wires or clutter in sight.  (Was on a Duke 790)

The CP2's advantage IMO is in very low RPM, slightly above idle, where it's super smooth while the KTM doesn't like to rev that slow and will start to twitch. Offroad this will be a disadvantage. Once RPM's reach like 3-4.000 the KTM just flies.

Edited by OK185
  • Like 2

Ooo Geeze, now I have to sit and listen to the orange goblins gloat about their "perfect" 285 degree cranks when last week they didn't even know they had one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Hibobb said:

Ooo Geeze, now I have to sit and listen to the orange goblins gloat about their "perfect" 285 degree cranks when last week they didn't even know they had one.

@Hibobb keep your ear plugs in LOL. If 270 was all wrong (wrong omg,  cake is wrong but mighty good too) then how come our Tenere's start up and run perfectly well for tens of thousands of miles of mega reliable fun, lol. Two-Strokes wrong, Rotary engines wrong but dam good. Guess its just entertainment splitting hairs fun.

Just think how smug you’ll be with your weird old fashioned 270degree crank as you sail past a 285 degree engine stuck on the side of the road miles from nowhere when you computer says no  😁🍺

ill keep the cp2 thanks. It’s designed to replace the 600. Simple and reliable. Not a 1200. Gotta go before I start on about carbs. 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Noel McCutcheon said:

@Hibobb keep your ear plugs in LOL. If 270 was all wrong (wrong omg,  cake is wrong but mighty good too) them how come our Tenere's start up and run perfectly well for tens of thousands of miles of mega reliable fun, lol. Two-Strokes wrong, Rotary engines wrong but dam good. Guess its just entertainment splitting hairs fun.

WORD! 👍👍👍👍👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Noel McCutcheon said:

@Hibobb keep your ear plugs in LOL. If 270 was all wrong (wrong omg,  cake is wrong but mighty good too) them how come our Tenere's start up and run perfectly well for tens of thousands of miles of mega reliable fun, lol. Two-Strokes wrong, Rotary engines wrong but dam good. Guess its just entertainment splitting hairs fun.

This is the way I look at it...

It is the difference between LOUD fart and SILENCE fart...

both get gas out of my system, one just more noticeable than the other once...still deadly and stinks when you smell them...

They both get the job done...

• Haha 6

You say the pumpkins are deadly to those around while the CP2 is not ? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, qInvention said:

one screams at your face while doing so...the other one sneaks up on you and just as deadly.

1 hour ago, qInvention said:

The pumpkin screams as it goes by, putting a smile on your face and being over engineered and deadly in all manner of speaking.

But then the 'not pumpkin' will keep your smile going for thousands of KMs, possibly your life time and won't bleed your pocket and your heart dry, unlike the pumpkin that will do both with such efforlessness 🤣

Edited by motonap
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Meet BigBlu - 2022 Tenere 700 | Yamaha OEM chain guide | Yamaha OEM crash guard | Givi Rear luggage rack | Givi BN42 top box | Black Widow 300mm Hexagonal exhaust | Acerbis High Fender | Windscreen risers | ProTaper Evo low handlebar | Oxford Integrated heated grips | Upshift Retro Speedblock Blue graphic kit | QuadLock wireless charger | BarkBuster Storm Handguards | Mitas E07+ rear tyre | Shinko E804 front tyre | MotoMount Radar screamer & LED visual alert | Custom half tail tidy kit |

19 hours ago, motonap said:

The pumpkin screams as it goes by, putting a smile on your face and being over engineered and deadly in all manner of speaking.

But then the 'not pumpkin' will keep your smile going for thousands of KMs, possibly your life time and won't bleed your pocket and your heart dry, unlike the pumpkin that will do both with such efforlessness 🤣

So we can say the pumpkin foremost is deadly to itself 😉

On 1/31/2024 at 1:14 AM, Windblown said:

When asked to tackle something the CP2 says "I got this." 

When asked to tackle something the 790 says "Hold my beer."

it's funny 'cause it's true 🤣

• Like 1

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

• Supporting Vendor
On 2/4/2024 at 10:07 AM, prowlnS10 said:

Driving 4 Answers has a great channel and I'm far more likely to believe what he says over Ryan F9 on this particular topic. 

• Like 5

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

7 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

Driving 4 Answers has a great channel and I'm far more likely to believe what he says over Ryan F9 on this particular topic. 

He’s the GOAT of explaining secondary vibrations!

• Like 5

Fan of Ryan F9. Yet, my world does not revolve around his content.

Enjoy your bike, and listen to Hannah of London Grammar for a lesson in primary and secondary vibration.....

• Like 2

"ADV  ONE DROP AT A TIME " - Chronicles of Solid